• 2(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-05-09, 15:35)solamnic Wrote: How much space does the Chrome OS needs?

when setting up a dual boot config, you should heed the warning of the max partition size for Ubuntu/OpenELEC. ChromeOS needs about 6GB, preferably 7GB, so on the stock 16GB HDD you should use a max size of 9GB for Ubuntu/OpenELEC

(2014-05-09, 15:40)tetsuya Wrote: Username: user
Password: user

It's displayed at the Instalation complete and press enter to go back to the main menu screen, from looking in the script.

righto. And you can always create a new user after first boot, log in with it, and delete the 'user' account.
Excellent work Matt!!! This almost sounds too easy Cool

(2014-05-07, 19:48)Matt Devo Wrote: ----------------------------------------------------------------
Create bootable USB/SD copy of ChromeOS
----------------------------------------------------------------

This option will copy the existing copy of ChromeOS onto a USB/SD disk, which is useful if you are planning on installing OpenELEC (or Ubuntu) in standalone mode, which will erase the copy of ChromeOS on the internal HDD. A 16GB USB 3.0 drive is ideal here. Once created, it can be booted by pressing [CTRL-U] at the developer boot screen.

The only reason for the this is to revert back to a default ChromeOS. It might be useful if there was a image available for download, it would save people an extra step.

Once a stand-alone OpenELEC has been installed, is there a way this can be booted from a IR remote or something simular. Since there isn't a CIR I'm guessing you would need something like a Flirc.
(2014-05-09, 22:16)YellowDog Wrote: Excellent work Matt!!! This almost sounds too easy Cool

(2014-05-07, 19:48)Matt Devo Wrote: ----------------------------------------------------------------
Create bootable USB/SD copy of ChromeOS
----------------------------------------------------------------

This option will copy the existing copy of ChromeOS onto a USB/SD disk, which is useful if you are planning on installing OpenELEC (or Ubuntu) in standalone mode, which will erase the copy of ChromeOS on the internal HDD. A 16GB USB 3.0 drive is ideal here. Once created, it can be booted by pressing [CTRL-U] at the developer boot screen.

The only reason for the this is to revert back to a default ChromeOS. It might be useful if there was a image available for download, it would save people an extra step.

No, not at all. If you want to revert to ChromeOS, then use Google's recovery image as outlined in the Factory Reset section of the wiki. This allows you to boot into a fully functional ChromeOS via USB without touching the internal HDD. So you can change the boot options, update the firmware, etc.

Quote:Once a stand-alone OpenELEC has been installed, is there a way this can be booted from a IR remote or something simular. Since there isn't a CIR I'm guessing you would need something like a Flirc.

I'm not very familiar with FLIRC, but anything which acts as a wireless keyboard and can send [CTRL-U] at the dev boot screen would allow one to boot to the USB copy of ChromeOS.
I have a problem, after doing the dual boot option i get stuck with "booting from hard disk..." after rebooting. What did i do wrong?
(2014-05-10, 03:09)ntpphong Wrote: I have a problem, after doing the dual boot option i get stuck with "booting from hard disk..." after rebooting. What did i do wrong?

dual booting OpenELEC or Ubuntu? Did you run the script a 2nd time to complete the dual boot install?
I'm not looking to boot from the USB drive, but good to know Smile What I want to do is press power on a remote and have the Chromebox start up and boot directly into OpenELEC. Can I do this after I run the setup script? Or do I need any additional hardware, or perhaps the onboard wireless receiver will work, with good remote.
(2014-05-10, 15:40)YellowDog Wrote: I'm not looking to boot from the USB drive, but good to know Smile What I want to do is press power on a remote and have the Chromebox start up and boot directly into OpenELEC. Can I do this after I run the setup script? Or do I need any additional hardware, or perhaps the onboard wireless receiver will work, with good remote.

I haven't tested it with OpenELEC, but if you suspend from *buntu, you can power it back on with the remote's power button.
I don't see why it wouldn't work with OpenELEC. Someone with a dedicated OpenELEC install can test it out and see if it works.

I have the Rosewill RC126 dongle, remote, and a Logitech Harmony 880 that will turn it on from suspend.
(2014-05-10, 09:17)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-10, 03:09)ntpphong Wrote: I have a problem, after doing the dual boot option i get stuck with "booting from hard disk..." after rebooting. What did i do wrong?

dual booting OpenELEC or Ubuntu? Did you run the script a 2nd time to complete the dual boot install?
I tried ual booting OpenElec, I thought you did not need to run the script a 2nd time. I tried to reset using the Google's recovery image but now I'm stucked at booting kernel after it told me to remove the USB flashdrive. I'm unable to change back to OS Verification mode on since I did the bios config for 1sec and auto boot to legacy bios. Any help or walk through would be greatly appreciated
(2014-05-10, 16:43)ntpphong Wrote:
(2014-05-10, 09:17)Matt Devo Wrote:

I tried ual booting OpenElec, I thought you did not need to run the script a 2nd time. I tried to reset using the Google's recovery image but now I'm stucked at booting kernel after it told me to remove the USB flashdrive. I'm unable to change back to OS Verification mode on since I did the bios config for 1sec and auto boot to legacy bios. Any help or walk through would be greatly appreciated

To reset to Google recovery image you need to enter recovery (reset button and turn on at same time). After that you put in your recovery usb you created. Then you should be able to start over.

If you only need to run the script the second time...just hit CTRL-D when it the white screen first flashes... it should take you to chrome.
(2014-05-10, 15:40)YellowDog Wrote: I'm not looking to boot from the USB drive, but good to know Smile What I want to do is press power on a remote and have the Chromebox start up and boot directly into OpenELEC. Can I do this after I run the setup script? Or do I need any additional hardware, or perhaps the onboard wireless receiver will work, with good remote.

use the setup script, run steps 1, 5, 7. Use option #1 for the boot options. Reboot and install OE from the USB stick you created.

(2014-05-10, 16:05)tetsuya Wrote: I haven't tested it with OpenELEC, but if you suspend from *buntu, you can power it back on with the remote's power button.
I don't see why it wouldn't work with OpenELEC. Someone with a dedicated OpenELEC install can test it out and see if it works.

I have the Rosewill RC126 dongle, remote, and a Logitech Harmony 880 that will turn it on from suspend.

OE powers off when you try to suspend it. haven't had time to look into it yet.

(2014-05-10, 16:43)ntpphong Wrote: I tried dual booting OpenElec, I thought you did not need to run the script a 2nd time. I tried to reset using the Google's recovery image but now I'm stucked at booting kernel after it told me to remove the USB flashdrive. I'm unable to change back to OS Verification mode on since I did the bios config for 1sec and auto boot to legacy bios. Any help or walk through would be greatly appreciated

for both dual boot options, you have to run the script and select the dual boot option twice. The first time re-partitions the internal HDD, the 2nd time does the actual install. I'll update the instructions to try and make this more clear.

at the dev boot screen (OS verification off), hit [CTRL-D] to boot into ChromeOS (hit it a few times with the screen off if it's not catching), then re-download/re-run the script with the OE dual boot option.

(2014-05-10, 17:27)speedbal Wrote: To reset to Google recovery image you need to enter recovery (reset button and turn on at same time). After that you put in your recovery usb you created. Then you should be able to start over.

If you only need to run the script the second time...just hit ctrl-d when it the white screen first flashes... it should take you to chrome.

sounds like he did, but it's now booting into the legacy BIOS by default still. [CTRL-D] should be all he needs
It would not let me use ctrl D to disable developer mode, the only screen i can go to is the recovery screen. I thought it was my wireless keyboard, but i also tried my other usb keyboards and it would not work.
(2014-05-10, 17:50)ntpphong Wrote: It would not let me use ctrl D to disable developer mode, the only screen i can go to is the recovery screen. I thought it was my wireless keyboard, but i also tried my other usb keyboards and it would not work.

which keyboard did you use originally to get into developer mode and set things up? use that one. Hit [CTRl-D] repeateded before/on the developer boot screen (before the black legacy BIOS screen). If that takes you to the recovery screen, then you need to use the recovery image.
(2014-05-10, 17:28)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-10, 16:05)tetsuya Wrote: I haven't tested it with OpenELEC, but if you suspend from *buntu, you can power it back on with the remote's power button.

OE powers off when you try to suspend it. haven't had time to look into it yet.

Since the chromebox is similar to the Acer C720 (same hardware), do you think the following from the Arch linux wiki
would fix the suspend issue?

Acer C720 Chromebook: Fixing suspend
I used the recovery from google, but after everything it is done it told me to remove the usb drive for restart, which then automatically goes into legacy bios. How do i recover with that setting so i can start over?
(2014-05-10, 18:05)tetsuya Wrote: Since the chromebox is similar to the Acer C720 (same hardware), do you think the following from the Arch linux wiki
would fix the suspend issue?

Acer C720 Chromebook: Fixing suspend

possibly, I'll have to look at it more closely and see how well it maps to OpenELEC.

(2014-05-10, 18:07)ntpphong Wrote: I used the recovery from google, but after everything it is done it told me to remove the usb drive for restart, which then automatically goes into legacy bios. How do i recover with that setting so i can start over?

you need to hit [CTRL-D] before the legacy BIOS loads. some monitors/TVs don't sync up quickly enough for you to see it, so just hit [CTRL-D] blindly a few times before the legacy BIOS screen comes up. You will then boot to ChromeOS.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37