• 251(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Atempting to follow a utube video, we ended up here on my Chromebox, i think we forgot to insert the flash drive

Im using a LG BR drive, a WD4TB usb, a Pavilion Tower to rip the disks, then a network connection to the chromebox and on to my Denon receiver. The Pavilion rips the disc pretty fast......but we're not there yet.

So... power off and power back on after inserting a bootable flash drive? The screenshot shows the box trying to boot ChromeOS from the legacy boot option (which it can't do), but you haven't told us what you are trying to do. And since none of the YouTube guides were created by me, I have no idea what you've done to this point
I guess we should start at the beginning, sorry. Im trying to build a machine to rip my smallish BR collection and archive them for further viewing. Im a hometheater guy who has been hearing about mass storage and playback for some time now. You guys seem to be getting it simplified enough for even me. I am not a computer guy, trust me it would take you 2 seconds to speak well over my head so speak sloooow please.

So wts, i enlisted a computer friend to help me assemble a system. Its a LG BR burner/player, a used Pavilion PC tower and a WD 4TB USB mass storage device. We decided to run a chromebox in OpenELEC and act as a appliance with the mass storage WD and play back the BR discs. We were in the process of partitioning the device. I think we lost the original OS...... I think it needs to be reinstalled by the manufacturer

Here's my system reassembled after a two year storage

Oh my, all that gear and you listen to Pandora? That is audio abuse! Wink

Matt was telling you that you probably just need to make a bootable usb drive with openelec to continue the install.

Simple instructions for that are found on the openelec website.
(2015-03-02, 14:54)jsp1 Wrote: Oh my, all that gear and you listen to Pandora? That is audio abuse! Wink

Matt was telling you that you probably just need to make a bootable usb drive with openelec to continue the install.

Yeah, Pandora in HiRez would be cool, but first this damn mediacenter.

I've been reading about bootable usb drives...... Thank you, more NOOB terms. BootableUSB, here we go
(2015-03-02, 14:54)jsp1 Wrote: Oh my, all that gear and you listen to Pandora? That is audio abuse! Wink

Now that you mention it, i need a SACS/DVD-A player, there's a ton of great music out there........
(2015-03-02, 15:07)Kgveteran Wrote: Yeah, Pandora in HiRez would be cool, but first this damn mediacenter.

I've been reading about bootable usb drives...... Thank you, more NOOB terms. BootableUSB, here we go

you misunderstood me. The instructions in this thread offer the option of installing OpenELEC or Ubuntu, in either a dual boot (with ChromeOS) or standalone (without ChromeOS) configuration. Without knowing which configuration you were attempting to set up, or what you have done to get to the point in the screenshot (since you referenced a random YouTube video without a link and timestamp of where you got stuck), we are left guessing and not able to give you clear, definitive answers - only speculation.

If you are going for a standalone setup, this would be the point where you would create the installation media (on another machine), then power on the ChromeBox with it inserted and select it from the boot menu when prompted. There's a link in the ChromeBox wiki to the OpenELEC wiki on how to do that.
(2015-03-02, 18:12)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-03-02, 15:07)Kgveteran Wrote: Yeah, Pandora in HiRez would be cool, but first this damn mediacenter.

you misunderstood me. The instructions in this thread offer the option of installing OpenELEC or Ubuntu, in either a dual boot (with ChromeOS) or standalone (without ChromeOS) configuration. Without knowing which configuration you were attempting to set up, or what you have done to get to the point in the screenshot (since you referenced a random YouTube video without a link and timestamp of where you got stuck), we are left guessing and not able to give you clear, definitive answers - only speculation.

If you are going for a standalone setup, this would be the point where you would create the installation media (on another machine), then power on the ChromeBox with it inserted and select it from the boot menu when prompted. There's a link in the ChromeBox wiki to the OpenELEC wiki on how to do that.

10-4
Thank you for the script and the guide, Matt. As a first time user of XBMC/Kodi, it has made the experience a pleasant and painless one. Your work is very much appreciated.
Help please, all of a sudden I got this error on my Asus Chrome-box running dual boot openlect after a power outage. Can someone help me step by step how to fix this? I am brand new to chrome-box with no knowledge about Linux

this is the error:

***Error in check_disks: could not repair filesystem, dropping to debug shell, try to run 'fsck' manually: ***
### Starting debugging shell... type exit to quit ###
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
# _

thanks for your help

RTFW please, the issue you are having is addressed there
(2015-02-28, 20:53)Matt Devo Wrote: As far as Kodi settings, you probably want to select the option to change the refresh rate to match the video framerate (under Video/Playback - set to 'on start/stop'). The 2nd and 3rd screenshots on the wiki are from the video options accessible via the menu when a video is playing.

@matt Devo
I have three questions trying to resolve:

1) When should I set "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" to "Always" ?
What are the implications?

2) After calibration last year my Panasonic plasma had HDMI RGB set to NORMAL and I leave that so.
Today, I also followed your recommendation for color range and read the thread here.
Quote:Solution: add the following line to the autostart script and reboot the device:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
You may also need to select the Kodi option 'Used limited color range' under Settings-->System-->Video Output. Use the video clip and image above as a guide.
Note: If you want to output Limited color range, you are required to do the following setting as well: Settings-->Video-->Acceleration-->Prefer VAAPI Rendering: disabled/de-selected.
I seems to me that after applying your recommendation, I have a little more flickering when panning (24p Smooth Film set to MIN, not higher as to keep picture natural). Do I see this correctly?
Is this because VAAPI rendering was disabled?

3) The instruction in the thread, seems different than your recommendation:
Quote:Set full range with xrandr, 16-235 in XBMC, VAAPI and software filtering on.
a) With VAAPI enabled, the calibration file does not show white clipping properly, so I guess you are right...
b) Where do I set software filtering on?
KODI: LibreElec on Raspberry Pi
KODI: LibreElec on Asus Chromebox

(2015-03-03, 21:50)Rrrr Wrote:
(2015-02-28, 20:53)Matt Devo Wrote: As far as Kodi settings, you probably want to select the option to change the refresh rate to match the video framerate (under Video/Playback - set to 'on start/stop'). The 2nd and 3rd screenshots on the wiki are from the video options accessible via the menu when a video is playing.

@matt Devo
I have three questions trying to resolve:

1) When should I set "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" to "Always" ?
What are the implications?

2) After calibration last year my Panasonic plasma had HDMI RGB set to NORMAL and I leave that so.
Today, I also followed your recommendation for color range and read the thread here.
Quote:Solution: add the following line to the autostart script and reboot the device:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
You may also need to select the Kodi option 'Used limited color range' under Settings-->System-->Video Output. Use the video clip and image above as a guide.
Note: If you want to output Limited color range, you are required to do the following setting as well: Settings-->Video-->Acceleration-->Prefer VAAPI Rendering: disabled/de-selected.
I seems to me that after applying your recommendation, I have a little more flickering when panning (24p Smooth Film set to MIN, not higher as to keep picture natural). Do I see this correctly?
Is this because VAAPI rendering was disabled?

3) The instruction in the thread, seems different than your recommendation:
Quote:Set full range with xrandr, 16-235 in XBMC, VAAPI and software filtering on.
a) With VAAPI enabled, the calibration file does not show white clipping properly, so I guess you are right...
b) Where do I set software filtering on?

1) You want to make use of the 'Adjust refresh rate to match video' feature if your set allows 24/25p input and plays it back properly (ie, at 96 or 120Hz, vs 60). If your set is only doubling 24p to 48Hz, that could be why you are getting flickering, in which case I'd disable the auto-adjust option.

2) on my Panny GT50, I have the RGB range set to standard (16-235), xrandr using full range, and Kodi set to limited range.

3) the 'Use SW Filter' option was in OE4, it's been replaced in OE5 by 'Prefer VAAPI renderer.' The recommended settings in the wiki are up to date
Thank you for your patience.

1) My Panasonic set is the TX-P65VT30E in Europe and it supports 24p (it shows 24p SMOOTH FILM when playing such content).
I do not know how to check if it supports 25p.
I cannot find the 96hz option, as it seems that European models dont show this?
I also read somewhere that the 96hz option in that case may be automatic when setting 24p SMOOTH FILM to MIN ?
I have read so much that I do not know anymore what is true, many people using US environment.

2,3) Thanks, I have done the same now with Prefer VAAPI Rendering disabled (otherwise picture is too dark) and will continue to try out.
KODI: LibreElec on Raspberry Pi
KODI: LibreElec on Asus Chromebox

i have a problem. my box was setup for dualboot and things are starting to mess up with openelec, was trying to restore and start over with a standalone install,but i have no recovery screen like i used to. i tried the esc button the recovery button, ctrl-d. nothing works for me. the first screen i see is the seabios says booting from hard drive. it just keeps booting to OE. any other ideas?
  • 251(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37