• 306(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Hi there

I was so looking forward to putting together this box, but I have hit a problem that i can not seem to solve and would appreciate any help.

I am trying to do a standalone open-elec install on a new Asus Chromebox.

I have read the above posts and i thank everyone for their contributions.

I can not seem to find a solution.

I followed the instructions on the first page and the wiki.

Apologies for any typos below

1. I managed to get to the part of downloading the script.
2. I chose option 6- Install custom coreboot firmware
3. I was then offered the option to save my current firmware to usb drive.
4. I clicked yes.
5. It then flashed up an error stating usb drive not recognised.
6. The terminal went back to 'chronos'

I then rebooted and i could no longer get in to developer mode. It would just keep booting into chrome os

I thought i might try to start from the beginning again.
So i downloaded and restored the recovery image via usb .

After restoring i managed to:

1. Invoking recovery mode = ok
2. I enter Dev mode and it does it's normal routine of taking five minutes whilst it goes through the process of switching to developer mode. I get to 100%
3. The Chromebox reboots.
4. I press ctrl +d but it now boots to Chrome-os- It will not boot in to developer mode despite it stating it is doing so

I just can not get in to developer mode now.
When it boots to chrome os, I have noticed my keyboard does not respond to ctrl +f2 now, however other buttons work on the keyboard such as power off etc. Caps lock is also disabled now.

Have i broken something?
Please help!
If you see this at boot up, you're in developer mode,

http://kodi.wiki/images/b/b8/ChromeBox_dev_boot.jpg

Ctrl +d will boot to Chrome OS just as you said.

from the OP:

Power on and boot to ChromeOS. DO NOT LOG IN TO ChromeOS, but do ensure a network connection is set up
Hit CTRL-ALT-F2 to get to command prompt.
Thank you for helping cd2002.

Sorry i left that part out in my post.

Yes it appears i am in developer mode according to that gif you posted.

However, when i press ctrl + alt +f2, nothing happens!

Could this mean a 'keyboard issue has arisen?

I am connected to the box via a usb keyboard and i have also tried a microsoft usb keyboard--- same result.

I confirm that i am not logged on in to chrome os.

It is strange that ctrl +d works on the keyboard, yet ctrl +alt +f2 does not!

This scenario despite a working Ethernet connection that i have tested on the chrome os itself.

I find it confusing that it allowed me to initially get to the terminal on my first attempt.

The only change that i can see from last time is that upon booting to chrome os, the os is searching for a mouse- it does not get to the sign in page--could that be the issue

Any suggestions highly appreciated.
(2015-05-29, 03:19)john-d Wrote: Thank you for helping cd2002.

Sorry i left that part out in my post.

Yes it appears i am in developer mode according to that gif you posted.

However, when i press ctrl + alt +f2, nothing happens!

Could this mean a 'keyboard issue has arisen?

I am connected to the box via a usb keyboard and i have also tried a microsoft usb keyboard--- same result.

I confirm that i am not logged on in to chrome os.

It is strange that ctrl +d works on the keyboard, yet ctrl +alt +f2 does not!

This scenario despite a working Ethernet connection that i have tested on the chrome os itself.

I find it confusing that it allowed me to initially get to the terminal on my first attempt.

The only change that i can see from last time is that upon booting to chrome os, the os is searching for a mouse- it does not get to the sign in page--could that be the issue

Any suggestions highly appreciated.

So on the login screen, ChromeOS detects that a keyboard is connected, but not a mouse? That shouldn't prevent you from being able to open a terminal though. I suppose you can try running things once logged in, from a browser window hit CTRL-T then type shell. But I really haven't tested anything that way. Otherwise I'd say try unplugging/re-plugging the keyboard on the login screen.
Thank you for your suggestions Matt.

I will try that now and post back with the results.
Success! Thank you very much Matt and cd2002.!

Through your help, i have managed to overcome the issue, and have now completed the standalone install. Brilliant!

I tried to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard, but there was no change. I also tried to log in to terminal via your suggestions to go via chrome os, but again, no response.

It seems the issue was related to the mouse and keyboard not being recognised.

I went to the store and purchased a cheap usb keyboard and mouse in a last desperate attempt.

I plugged them in and bingo!!! Ctrl Alt + f2 worked and the terminal opened!

It is strange how the first time i managed to get to the terminal but after that, nothing.

Your help was invaluable in keeping me sane and sticking to this project- Thanks again.
Got my new Asus Chromebox on Friday and had it up and running dual boot with no issues, very pleased. Big thanks for the instructions and the script!

A very very minor suggestion on the instructions or possibly the wiki. Clarify for dual booters that you may want to prepare the recovery media in advance, thus having it ready to go. Making for a little bit smoother process....maybe something like...

If you are planning on installing a dual-boot setup, you must perform a factory reset using recovery media created by Google's recovery tool prior to running the script for a dual-boot install.. Preparing the recovery media before you get started is recommended.

I did read the instructions through before starting, but somehow didn't catch on till I got there that this step (obviously) could have been done ahead of time.

Thanks again!
New Asus chromeboxes were announced today with Broadwell processor update, hopefully this method works on these new devices:

http://liliputing.com/2015/06/asus-refre...odels.html
(2015-06-01, 18:23)amcfarla Wrote: New Asus chromeboxes were announced today with Broadwell processor update, hopefully this method works on these new devices:

Assuming they ship with a working legacy boot, then the dual boot portion will work without modification. The standalone portion won't since I don't have a custom firmware for the Broadwell boxes - though they may not need it. I'll have to get a box in hand before I know for sure
(2015-06-01, 18:23)amcfarla Wrote: New Asus chromeboxes were announced today with Broadwell processor update, hopefully this method works on these new devices:

I was about to buy the Celeron Asus Chromebox but I guess I should wait a little unless they seriously lower the price of the current models. I'm gonna throw Kodibuntu inside and watch flash streams for at least 3-5 years with it.
does anyone have any recommendation for a good active displayport to hdmi adaptor.

thus far i have purchased two adaptors from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOZH...ge_o05_s00

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDT0...ge_o00_s00

i have my tv upstairs connected to the displayport adaptor and my downstairs dedicated home theater connected to the hdmi output.

the adaptor appears to work just fine but i'm going nuts because for some reason i get this wavy part of the picture that will appear randomly on my tv upstairs. i'm not sure how to describe it other than picture interference that goes down the screen randomly every few minutes when trying to watch something. i had this problem with the first adaptor which made me think must be a crappy adaptor so i bought a 2nd one and i still get the same thing. the other problem is the adaptor will not work with any 7.1 dts-hd surround sound.

not sure if this problem is even avoidable i may be better off using an hdmi switch at this point. no idea what could be causing the problem with the adaptor.
If you keep buying stuff that doesn't work at that rate, you'll wish you had just bought another chroembox.

It could be the length of cable too, Have you tried the adaptor with a nearby TV and a short run of cable?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hello all,

Thanks for all the help Matt. Tried to contact you back, but rules changed (I read the PM thread).

I followed all the proper steps for standalone OE on Asus CB M004U, realized some addons not working properly, and thought it could be because it was the Beta version. Saw that you updated the EZ script to include the Stable version of OE. BUT, I read in places, and maybe your post, that downgrading that far may be a bad idea, and it is better to full reinstall a previous version. Followed your link to OE's wiki and used youtube to figure it out. Seems done now.

(2014-05-07, 19:48)Matt Devo Wrote: Note: this requires you to have completed the Standalone Setup, which will update the ChromeBox's firmware to my custom coreboot build.

My questions:
1. What do you mean by YOUR custom coreboot build? My bad if this is a beginner question lol.
2. And if so, how is it different from following the OE wiki page and downloading the OS from OE's website? This is what I did.
3. Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

Thanks!
(2015-06-02, 01:36)nickr Wrote: If you keep buying stuff that doesn't work at that rate, you'll wish you had just bought another chroembox.

It could be the length of cable too, Have you tried the adaptor with a nearby TV and a short run of cable?

no problem to keep buying stuff and returning to amazon.

definitely not the length of the cable as the chromebox is sitting right under the tv and no problem with hdmi at all. my old nuc which my chromebox replaced had two hdmi outputs on the back and i already have the cables run through the wall in my house so buying another box isn't needed. just can't figure out why this adaptor doesn't want to work right.
If you can return them then that's better than I imagined.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 306(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37