• 349(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
parted is installed on openelec, but IMHO you would be better off downloading the gparted ISO and booting it from USB.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-08-31, 10:23)MrCrispy Wrote: I setup my Asus Chromebox with standalone OE beta and it works great so far, I haven't tweaked anything yet. Next I will figure out a remote to use and I have some questions about whether the EGL build mentioned earlier is needed and how to upgrade to it. I was dreading all kinds of issues with boot times, usb drives etc, but everything worked on the 1st try with an ancient 2GB usb drive that I haven't used for years which was gathering dust. I really should've done this a long time ago, that's my only regret as the procedure seems a lot more daunting than it is.

This is a content free post - I just wanted to thank Matt for his great work and tireless support here.

5.95.4 works perfectly fine, but the EGL test build looks and performs better, esp on 4K and (insane, unrealistic) high-bitrate h.264 files. You would upgrade it / to it using the process for manually updating OpenELEC (that is, download the .tar, drop it in the update folder, and reboot)

(2015-08-31, 11:01)monsen Wrote:
Quote:looks like you only allocated 1GB for OpenELEC when doing the dual boot setup, which isn't enough. You can delete the installation files (which the script should have deleted, but seems did not), but that's not going to buy you a whole lot. You basically have 2 options: 1) do a factory reset, then re-run the script and choose a larger partition size for OpenELEC, or 2) use a tool like partedmagic to resize the existing partitions to shrink sda1 and enlarge sda7.

Ok i will do that tonight. Can i run partedmagic from within OpenElec trough SSH shell? Or do i have to physically install the SSD to a PC?

partedmagic is a linux distro that you'd run from a bootable USB flash drive.
Just went to get another Dell ChromeBox and they state not shipping till mid October and there is no way to purchase. Hope the Dell Celeron version has not disappeared.
(2015-08-31, 21:47)visiter555 Wrote: Just went to get another Dell ChromeBox and they state not shipping till mid October and there is no way to purchase. Hope the Dell Celeron version has not disappeared.

so buy an Asus and swap out the wifi card if it's that big of a deal.
Quote:partedmagic is a linux distro that you'd run from a bootable USB flash drive.

I know that, but i wasn't sure if it would boot up with the Chromebox hardware.
One thing i forgot to ask: what is a reasonable partition size for the OpenElec installation? 2GB?
(2015-09-01, 13:42)monsen Wrote: I know that, but i wasn't sure if it would boot up with the Chromebox hardware.
One thing i forgot to ask: what is a reasonable partition size for the OpenElec installation? 2GB?

the ChromeBox is just another x86 system, will run just about any modern OS. I'd probably give OE 4GB to be safe.
(2015-08-28, 13:18)JayExxx Wrote: Hi, apologies if I'm hijacking the thread but I could do with some help please.

I have a chromebox and ran the chrome/openelec dual boot option and all was fine, had kodi 14.2 running and was very happy.
I managed to manually update to kodi15 ok, there were a few little errors but nothing that spoiled my enjoyment.
Anyway I powered up my chromebox as usual a cpl of days ago and couldn't see anything on my screen and decided to pull the plug and reboot, which I did but when it booted up it had a msg on screen.
I can't remember what it said exactly but it mentioned something about corrupt files (wasn't the manually run the fsck thing) and it needed to rebuild them and I fi wanted to cancel this I had to press a button within 120seconds.
I tried a cpl of times to cancel this by pressing a button to reboot but it kept displaying this msg so I had no option to let it proceed.
So I booted up and kodi loaded up but clicking up addons and links kept bringing up memory errors (something like errrno_28 error msg - not enough space or something) and kodi also just completely froze after a few mins and I had to again unplug and reboot again. After a cpl of times of this happening kodi stopped booting up and now all I get when I select ctrl-l when I boot up is a very brief flash of the kodi logo and then nothing but a black screen.
I can see the mouse pointer but that is all. I have tried to ssh to the box an cannot obtain a connection and nor can I access (via samba?) by entering my ip addy on my pc. ( I can boot into chrome ok but don't know wether there is any problem with that as I've only had it on for a few mins, not had time to test it properly yet due to work commitments)
I am really clueless as to what to do or try at this point and lack of experience is telling me to seek advice from the ones who know, so if anyone could help or advise I would really appreciate it.
If there is anyway to recover my kodi i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

(2015-08-28, 18:17)Matt Devo Wrote: no idea what you did to get yourself to the state you are in, but the easiest solution is to boot ChromeOS and re-run the dual boot option of the script to cleatly reinstall the latest version of OpenELEC/Kodi

Hi Matt, no idea what i done either mate but i'll try to be more careful in future.

Apologies for the delayed reply aswell btw but i'm glad to say your advice resolved my issue and I'm now back working ok.

I really appreciate your help and knowledge, cheers.
I have an idea whats was causing my suspend wake ups... Im not 100% shure yet but it realy might have been the option to use the android remote from cellphone. So some kind of wake on Lan?
I made a factory reset and since then it hasnt woke up... just wanted to report ablut it.
(2015-09-01, 18:21)busta.rhymes Wrote: I have an idea whats was causing my suspend wake ups... Im not 100% shure yet but it realy might have been the option to use the android remote from cellphone. So some kind of wake on Lan?
I made a factory reset and since then it hasnt woke up... just wanted to report ablut it.

WoL is enabled for ethernet (but not wifi), and is supported via the various android remote apps (Yatse, Kore). But they shouldn't be waking the device without your explicit instruction to do so
yeah, you can forget what i wrote, just came home from shopping and chrome box was on again... god damnit!!!
(2015-09-01, 20:42)busta.rhymes Wrote: yeah, you can forget what i wrote, just came home from shopping and chrome box was on again... god damnit!!!

do a hard reset, then unplug the lan cable and suspend it. Then add things back one at a time. Or ask the OE guys for help / to look at your logs.
Hey Matt, I was wondering if you could help me out. I have the same problem as gcardinal on page 299.

recovery_reason: 0x14 RW firmware firmware key version rollback detected.

However this is on an asus chromebox. Must of follow the same exact instruction as cardinal. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction on how to fix. Thanks man!
(2015-09-02, 03:37)pressure25 Wrote: Hey Matt, I was wondering if you could help me out. I have the same problem as gcardinal on page 299.

recovery_reason: 0x14 RW firmware firmware key version rollback detected.

However this is on an asus chromebox. Must of follow the same exact instruction as cardinal. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction on how to fix. Thanks man!

the instructions have changed significantly since then, so that's doubtful, but I sent you a PM.
Thank you for your instructions and your EZ Setup.

Please bear with be as I am a newbie.

I followed your instruction for the dual boot Chrome-OpenElec doing the script twice on an Asus Chromebook Moo4 and it showed that OpenElec was installed.

On the white page I hit Ctrl L and the screen briefly showed "Ctrl L from hard disc" then the screen went blank and nothing happened.

Appreciate any help you can provide on this.
(2015-09-02, 20:59)zane5 Wrote: Thank you for your instructions and your EZ Setup.

Please bear with be as I am a newbie.

I followed your instruction for the dual boot Chrome-OpenElec doing the script twice on an Asus Chromebook Moo4 and it showed that OpenElec was installed.

On the white page I hit Ctrl L and the screen briefly showed "Ctrl L from hard disc" then the screen went blank and nothing happened.

Appreciate any help you can provide on this.

sounds like you didn't do a factory reset using the recovery media prior to running the script.
  • 349(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37