• 381(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2015-11-24, 20:50)Lambada123 Wrote: Sorry Matt, but i understand what you mean... Firmware 20151015 are installed, when i look in your Update history there are some newer changes...

I have test your script to fix this FAN issue after hibernate... it works, but when the Chromebox are connected to an AVR it don´t work...

2015-10-15 is the latest firmware version, which is confirmed by reading the script version history, both in the OP of this thread, and on my github.

All of the changes to the script since have been to update the version of OpenELEC installed by the script, which again is confirmed by reading the change log.

If you haven't updated to the latest OpenELEC Intel-EGL build (6.0.98-fritsch), then do so using the manual update instructions in the wiki. No fan speed fix is necessary with that version, since the fix is compiled into the kernel. The fix has nothing to do with being connected to an AVR or not and works regardless.
(2015-11-24, 23:33)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-11-24, 20:50)Lambada123 Wrote: Sorry Matt, but i understand what you mean... Firmware 20151015 are installed, when i look in your Update history there are some newer changes...

I have test your script to fix this FAN issue after hibernate... it works, but when the Chromebox are connected to an AVR it don´t work...

2015-10-15 is the latest firmware version, which is confirmed by reading the script version history, both in the OP of this thread, and on my github.

All of the changes to the script since have been to update the version of OpenELEC installed by the script, which again is confirmed by reading the change log.

If you haven't updated to the latest OpenELEC Intel-EGL build (6.0.98-fritsch), then do so using the manual update instructions in the wiki. No fan speed fix is necessary with that version, since the fix is compiled into the kernel. The fix has nothing to do with being connected to an AVR or not and works regardless.

Sorry to hijack this post, I was just about to create a new post relating to fan speed. The fan on my Asus Chromebox running Kodibuntu 14.2, is constantly on despite CPU utilisation of around 15-20% idle. I'm unable to advise on the CPU temperatures as they show as ? in Kodi however, I'm not sure if that's normal? But the Chromebox itself isn't hot.

Is this possibly relating to firmware version?
The fan is always on at the minimum speed. You can display the temps by issuing "sensors" in a shell.
To show the temps in Kodi, add this to advancedsettings.xml

<cputempcommand>sensors|sed -ne "s/Core 0: \+[-+]\([0-9]\+\).*/\1 C/p"</cputempcommand>
<gputempcommand>sensors|sed -ne "s/temp1: \+[-+]\([0-9]\+\).*/\1 C/p"</gputempcommand>
(2015-11-25, 00:44)denz13 Wrote: Sorry to hijack this post, I was just about to create a new post relating to fan speed. The fan on my Asus Chromebox running Kodibuntu 14.2, is constantly on despite CPU utilisation of around 15-20% idle. I'm unable to advise on the CPU temperatures as they show as ? in Kodi however, I'm not sure if that's normal? But the Chromebox itself isn't hot.

absolutely nothing to do with the firmware, it's linux kernel bug, as described in wiki. patches are available to fix if you're comfortable compiling your own kernel. There's also a workaround posted for the mainline OpenELEC builds; the Intel-EGL builds already have the necessary kernel patches compiled in, so no workaround needed.

(2015-11-25, 01:27)Soli Wrote: The fan is always on at the minimum speed. You can display the temps by issuing "sensors" in a shell.

<cputempcommand>sensors|sed -ne "s/Core 0: \+[-+]\([0-9]\+\).*/\1 C/p"</cputempcommand>
<gputempcommand>sensors|sed -ne "s/temp1: \+[-+]\([0-9]\+\).*/\1 C/p"</gputempcommand>

actually, the fan is completely off until the CPU/GPU temp reaches 40°C, then it runs at min speed Smile
(2015-11-25, 06:06)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-11-25, 00:44)denz13 Wrote: Sorry to hijack this post, I was just about to create a new post relating to fan speed. The fan on my Asus Chromebox running Kodibuntu 14.2, is constantly on despite CPU utilisation of around 15-20% idle. I'm unable to advise on the CPU temperatures as they show as ? in Kodi however, I'm not sure if that's normal? But the Chromebox itself isn't hot.

absolutely nothing to do with the firmware, it's linux kernel bug, as described in wiki. patches are available to fix if you're comfortable compiling your own kernel. There's also a workaround posted for the mainline OpenELEC builds; the Intel-EGL builds already have the necessary kernel patches compiled in, so no workaround needed.

(2015-11-25, 01:27)Soli Wrote: The fan is always on at the minimum speed. You can display the temps by issuing "sensors" in a shell.

actually, the fan is completely off until the CPU/GPU temp reaches 40°C, then it runs at min speed Smile

Thanks for the response Matt, are you able to direct me to the kernel patches? I should be able to educate myself on compiling the kernel, hopefully. From what kernel version does the fan issue arise as I've never had this issue before as far as I'm aware. I'm currently running 4.3, but have previously ran 3.19 I believe.
The patch is for the fan spinning at high speed for around 10 seconds when resuming. Like I said, the fan is always spinning. Matt was being cheeky, for all intents and purposes, the cpu will never idle below 40c.
(2015-11-25, 16:26)Soli Wrote: The patch is for the fan spinning at high speed for around 10 seconds when resuming. Like I said, the fan is always spinning. Matt was being cheeky, for all intents and purposes, the cpu will never idle below 40c.

Thanks for this, although I appreciate the CPU fan will be spinning, I'm currently experiencing the fan spinning at what appears to be full speed almost all of the time.
(2015-11-25, 15:20)denz13 Wrote: Thanks for the response Matt, are you able to direct me to the kernel patches? I should be able to educate myself on compiling the kernel, hopefully. From what kernel version does the fan issue arise as I've never had this issue before as far as I'm aware. I'm currently running 4.3, but have previously ran 3.19 I believe.

just realized I didn't link to the bugzilla entry in the wiki, so have done so, but here it is as well:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91411
you'll want the three patches from comments 102/103/104

(2015-11-25, 16:26)Soli Wrote: The patch is for the fan spinning at high speed for around 10 seconds when resuming. Like I said, the fan is always spinning. Matt was being cheeky, for all intents and purposes, the cpu will never idle below 40c.

well, I wouldn't say never... Angel
(2015-11-25, 18:11)denz13 Wrote:

Thanks for this, although I appreciate the CPU fan will be spinning, I'm currently experiencing the fan spinning at what appears to be full speed almost all of the time.
That it shouldn't do. I have Kodibuntu 14.04 on my asus too. It's spinning at the lowest speed. I can imagine it would spin up to medium speed if you are using the a bloated skin like aeon mq, otherwise I have no idea why it would run close to full speed.
Thanks, I'll try the patches and confirm if it resolves the issue.
Has anyone here with a Chromebox or Haswell box installed the EGL ppa build (Ubuntu server + 4.3 kernel) and experienced hang/freeze issues while browsing menus and idle?

I do and posted all info with debug logs in official thread but @fritsh asked me to find more people preferably non Chromebox users with the same problem. He won't be able to pick up this until january but would be good if more people post in the VAAPI EGL thread about this problem and help with debug logs (You know the more the better).

Thanks!
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
Has anyone else ran into the issue of not being able to see the full screen when you open the command prompt window? I am getting a few characters that are cut off and cannot select the correct command when I am trying to backup my hardware before installing Kodi.
I only get that problem when my TV is set to overscan. Turn off overscan on the tv - often done with the aspect button, an option called 'just scan' or pixel' or something like that.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-11-27, 04:35)Diesel-Ghost Wrote: Has anyone else ran into the issue of not being able to see the full screen when you open the command prompt window? I am getting a few characters that are cut off and cannot select the correct command when I am trying to backup my hardware before installing Kodi.

quoteth the ChromeBox wiki page:

Quote:- Many TVs have overscan enabled by default, which will cut off the text display of the ChromeOS shell. Be sure to set your TV to a mode which does not overscan (varies by manufacturer - often called 'just scan', 'exact' 'pixel perfect'; some TVs require you to label the input as a PC).
Switched to the Intel-EGL OpenELEC build and have a problem

When stopping a video the screen just goes black ( tv osd comes up(handshake issue?)) and i need to turn chromebox off(suspend) and back on to get it to work.

I have set all of the settings from the wiki page.

This doesn't happen on the normal openelec 6.0.

Chromebox is going through Denon avr 891 to an older plasma tv.

Is there a setting i possibly missed that could cause this?

thanks
  • 381(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37