Win setting up mpc-hc as external player
(2014-05-29, 21:55)steelman1991 Wrote: So, what renderer are you using - have you tried madVR

Running madvr with settings from avs forum link I posted
Might want to dial back your settings in madVR - I use madVR, but primarily for its refresh rate change mechanism. Unless you are running with an accompanying Graphics Card, your processor may be a little weak - though with little experience of the renderer I may be way off the mark.
(2014-05-29, 23:01)steelman1991 Wrote: Might want to dial back your settings in madVR - I use madVR, but primarily for its refresh rate change mechanism. Unless you are running with an accompanying Graphics Card, your processor may be a little weak - though with little experience of the renderer I may be way off the mark.

Hmm, I'll have to post the settings to give you a reference. What settings would you recommend?
Another quick look at the stats you show, indicate that you are trying to play the movie at a either 50 or 60Hz, and I assume the movie was ripped to its original 23.976 framerate.

If you are using 'smooth motion' to playback everything at 60fps, then I think you might need either a more powerful processor or you'll have to add a graphics card to the mix. I have an i5 and smooth motion just doesn't cut it.

If your screen does 23.976/24, then you might be better to try and adjust the refresh rate to match the video and swich off 'smooth motion'. Have a look at the guide you linked to under 'display modes'. Implementing this switches everything to match the native framerate of the video file.
(2014-05-30, 10:18)steelman1991 Wrote: Another quick look at the stats you show, indicate that you are trying to play the movie at a either 50 or 60Hz, and I assume the movie was ripped to its original 23.976 framerate.

If you are using 'smooth motion' to playback everything at 60fps, then I think you might need either a more powerful processor or you'll have to add a graphics card to the mix. I have an i5 and smooth motion just doesn't cut it.

If your screen does 23.976/24, then you might be better to try and adjust the refresh rate to match the video and swich off 'smooth motion'. Have a look at the guide you linked to under 'display modes'. Implementing this switches everything to match the native framerate of the video file.

Right, now I remember seeing that somewhere while setting up mpc-hc/madVR. I'll have to go back and check those settings. Thanks again
ok so i got the jittery problem solved, i changed the display fresh rate to 23 on the laptop and played back the file and it looks good. well i guess that about does it for FINALLY setting up mpc-hc correctly. Hopefully no other issues will come up.
Good to hear it - though easiest way is set your software to change the refresh rate, rather than have to continually change the refresh rate at your source (laptop) each time you want to watch a movie/tv show.
(2014-06-02, 15:33)steelman1991 Wrote: Good to hear it - though easiest way is set your software to change the refresh rate, rather than have to continually change the refresh rate at your source (laptop) each time you want to watch a movie/tv show.

yes ill look into that, but this setup is not permanent. I am playing around with it and getting to know the ins and outs so when i finally build a dedicated htpc i will have all the issues worked and settings in place.
Hello,

Come across this thread will seaching for my own problem using MPC from xbmc and I thought it give this script I wrote to make using MPC bit easier.

Btw as to performance I disabled "desktop composition" in order to get XBMC to change refresh rate of screen to suit file but without desktop composition I noticed MPC playback (on ION for me) was not smooth.

On my ION1 system some years ago there was no XBMC hardware playback support on XP so I used MPC in fullscreen using XBMC as a launcher. I navigated a file in MPC much like XBMC left/right little jump and up/down (remapped) big jump using a remote. However I could not see my position as the fullscreen controls don't appear unless you use a mouse.

My solution was this autohotkey script. Basically on left/right/up/down a mouse cursor is moved slightly out of sight in a non blocking manner (that was tricky bit so I could repeatedly skip) making the fullscreen controls appear for a short while.

Might be useful to you as well.

Script is below you can compile yourself after downloading autohotkey or grab the executable here from sendspace and set to run on startup.

MPC_FS_CTL.ahk
Code:
#NoTrayIcon

; Media Player Classic Fullscreen Info using cursors
;Media Player Classic Homecinema - v1.3.1264.0 ahk_class MediaPlayerClassicW

resolution_y_return := A_ScreenHeight - 80
timer_peroid := 2500

#IfWinActive ahk_class MediaPlayerClassicW
left::
    Send {left}
    MouseMove , %A_ScreenWidth%, %A_ScreenHeight%,0
    SetTimer, MoveMouseBack, %timer_peroid%
return

right::
    Send {right}
return
down::
    Send {down}
return

up::
    Send {up}
return

MoveMouseBack:
SetTimer, MoveMouseBack, off
MouseMove , %A_ScreenWidth%, %resolution_y_return%,0
return

Also found it handy to map media key STOP to MPC function EXIT to return to XBMC easily.
I thought I'd post my playercorefactory.xml file for launching MPC-HC as an external player. This is intended for those using forum or Google searches to find the correct form and syntax to get it up and working. My version includes an entry labelled "playcountminimumtime." This command determines the amount of time in seconds a file must be played in order in to change its status from "unwatched" to "watched" in your library. I also created a rule that ensures all Internet video (streams from video addons) remain launched with the default DVDPlayer:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
<playcountminimumtime>1140</playcountminimumtime>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule video="true" player="MPC-HC">
<rule internetstream="true" player="DVDPlayer" />
<rule name="Streaming" protocols="daap|rtv|rtsp|rtmp|http|https|rtmpe|rtsp|mms" player="DVDPlayer" />
</rule>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
Hi, I created the playercorefactory.xml and copied and pasted the script from Waner306 (Thanks!). I copied it into my userdata directory: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata Started up XBMC, it appears to still just playing the native player (XBMC OSD shows up, not MPC). Am I missing something? I'm just trying to watch a stream from the Icefilms plugin?
I figured it out, when I copied and pasted from some reason spaces were inserted in the opening tags (not sure if it's the right term), e.g. < vrule> instead of <rule>. Didn't notice it at first but took out the spaces and it worked. Thanks all for the great thread.
For those looking for guidance and support regarding MPC-HC set-up, I have created a guide for this media player along with MPC-BE:

Windows - HOW TO - Launch MPC-HC/MPC-BE with madVR as an External Player

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
setting up mpc-hc as external player0