Linux XBMCbuntu 13 NO 5.1 Audio NO Pulseaudio - SOLVED
Thanks to Fritsch and thanks to Pulseaudio I have my soundcard working again!

In order here's what I did

1.) sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc
2.) sudo apt-get install libxslt-dev
3.) mkdir build
4.) cd build
5.) wget https://github.com/fritsch/xbmc/archive/...odsize.zip
6.) unzip gotham-alsa-periodsize.zip
7.) cd xbmc-gotham-alsa-periodsize
8.) ./bootstrap && ./configure
9.) make -j3
10.) ./xbmc.bin

Audio test

If this doesn't work (like did happened to me)

11.) nano ./xbmc/cores/AudioEngine/Sinks/AESinkALSA.cpp

move down and edit the line

bufferSize = std::min(bufferSize, (snd_pcm_uframes_t) sampleRate / 5);

in this way

bufferSize = (snd_pcm_uframes_t) sampleRate / 2;

save close and then

12.) make

start xbmc and try. if this doesn't work don't give up! try

13.) sudo rm /etc/apt/preferences.d/*
14.) sudo apt-get install pulseaudio libasound2-plugins
install maintainers version
15.) sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
16.) pavucontrol

go into xbmc, select your soundcard and try. (but we haven't done yet)

17.) sudo nano /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

find
; enable-remixing = yes
and change it in
enable-remixing = no (remove ; in front of the line)

then find
; resample-method = speex-float-1
change that to:
resample-method = speex-float-3 (remember Wink

ok we are done!

this worked for me i hope will work for you too

Anyway thanks to Fritsch, thanks to all the XBMC Team and thanks to PULSEAUDIO!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone

A few days ago I installed the new version of XBMCbuntu
Gotham 13 ubuntu 14 based

Unfortunately I can't set 5.1 audio

Searching and reading on web I realized that I need pulseaudio (which for some reason is not already installed)

the problem is that

I can't install it with sudo apt-get install pulseaudio (when I try it I receive : package pulseaudio has no installation candidate)

I can't download it from PPA

I can't find a valid source to add in /etc/apt/sources.list

I can't install the package downloaded from the official site using .config make and make install

Could you please help me? Thanks everyone!

Ciao Ciao
You do not need or want pulseaudio
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Start with a Debug Log that will tell us everything about your audio setup.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I think I need it because looking for an explaination to how configuring 5.1 audio i always find people saying that i have to use pulseaudio.

Anyway if you have other methods I am really happy to listen to you

My only interest is to have audio working

thanks

Now I am not in front of my HTPC but I will give you a DEBUG LOG when I am home

Thanks
No you don't have to install pulseaudio.

If you use spdif, you cannot output 5.1 pcm at all - you need an AC3 capable AVR to encode that 6 channels to Dolby Digital. But as you invested more time into your bold tags than in actual information of your system - no one can help.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Knowing that I don't necessary need pulseaudio is a good news

Anyway I am not an expert so I don't know if I am using spdif or what.

I know that I have a sound card 5.1 ( creative x-fi fatality ) and with the previous installation (xbmcbuntu 12 on ubuntu 11) everything worked fine.

I know that you experts don't like to waste time with newbies but if anyone will help i will be gratefull.
Read the posts then. the info you need to supply is specified. also how are your speakers connected to your computer?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The speakers are a logitec analog 5.1 system and are connected to the soundcard which have 3 outputs 1 light orange 1 green 1 black

I am sorry if I missed some post but it's hard to understand all of this technical words for a newbie. And english is not my language so is more diffucult for that, so I thought to ask to somebody.

Thanks
Refer back to Post#3 from fritsch, click the provided link for instructions on the wiki.
(2014-05-14, 11:35)fritsch Wrote: No you don't have to install pulseaudio.

If you use spdif, you cannot output 5.1 pcm at all - you need an AC3 capable AVR to encode that 6 channels to Dolby Digital. But as you invested more time into your bold tags than in actual information of your system - no one can help.
Don't mean to butt in but this confuses me and scares me a bit (and these types of posts are the main reason I have not upgraded from Frodo yet). I am running Frodo on an Acer Aspire Revo under Ubuntu and right now I DO get 5.1 audio via an optical link between the Revo and my receiver. Are you saying that if I upgrade to Gotham that will stop working and that I will no longer be able to have full 5.1 audio, or is this something else you are talking about?
Hi everyone

Here's my Debug Log

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=201422
You simply cannot play 6 pcm channels via optical / spdif. But you can play 6 channels via AC3 or DTs.

Or in short: If you disable passthrough, you cannot play more than 2 channels.
(2014-05-14, 18:22)xbmclinuxuser Wrote:
(2014-05-14, 11:35)fritsch Wrote: No you don't have to install pulseaudio.

Don't mean to butt in but this confuses me and scares me a bit (and these types of posts are the main reason I have not upgraded from Frodo yet). I am running Frodo on an Acer Aspire Revo under Ubuntu and right now I DO get 5.1 audio via an optical link between the Revo and my receiver. Are you saying that if I upgrade to Gotham that will stop working and that I will no longer be able to have full 5.1 audio, or is this something else you are talking about?
Of course you will still get 5.1 in Gotham. What Fritsch is saying is that 5.1 over SPDIF is ONLY possible via AC3 or DTS, NOT via PCM. That is the same in Frodo, it is the same in any player, it is a limitation of SPDIF, not of XBMC.
So what kind of settings should I change?

I am sorry but I don't know all this thing about AC3 DTS or PCM

But I noticed that if I enable passtrough I can't low and up volume ( it says that I can't because passtrough is in use )

Are we talking of settings in xbmc or in ubuntu?

Thanks
Yes well either you pass it through untouched, or you let the computer f*** around with it, you need to make up your mind.

passthrough means exactly what it says, the ac3/dts digital stream is passed to the amplifier which decodes it. Use the amplifier to control the volume.

Anything else requires decoding, alter the waveform to reduce the volume and possibly re-encode. Undesirable.

As I said, use the amplifier to control the volume

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu 13 NO 5.1 Audio NO Pulseaudio - SOLVED0