Linux Second screen not detected
Exclamation 
Hello,

I've recently updated my PC to Ubuntu 14.04 and the excellent Xbmc 13 but Xbmc can't find my second screen (TV) on video output menu.

I thought the problem came from the open source driver ATI Radeon so I tried with the last proprietary driver 14.4 but there is no change. I've got an ATI Radeon HD6870.

Previously, I've never got this problem neither on Windows or Mac OS X 10.8 or even on Ubuntu 13.10 with Xbmc 12 on my current computer.

Do you know an issue to this problem ?

Best Regards

Brice
You might have a different issue, but I noticed significant changes (for the worse) in the way newer Ubuntu releases handles multiple outputs and, in particular–refresh rates–after going from 13.10 to 14.04. The only way I was able to get it to use the right refresh rate (23.976) was to use a standalone XBMC session (as opposed to launching XBMC from a DE; e.g, Unity, Cinnamon, gnome) with 13.10. There was no way to launch XBMC on the second screen, despite it being detected as HDMI2 (simply reverted to the same screen, my LCD monitor, when selected).

I assume you are using the FernetMenta branch of XBMC, btw.? Mainline XBMC relies on SDL which does not support a multi-monitor setup. (Just in case you had a specific .deb which got overwritten during your upgrade...)
Hello,

Thank you for your answer, indeed I've to use a standalone XBMC session to get XBMC in fullscreen on my TV Display and it works fine but this is not really user friendly for me because I've to logout from unity.

Unfortunatelly, what I like with XBMC is to launch it directly on my Tv as a second display. It worked previously with the same hardware and it still work on windows 8 and XBMC 13 but not on ubuntu 14.04 session.

I'm using the mainline XBMC from team-xbmc PPA, I've just upgraded to XBMC 13.1 beta1 from unstable ppa but there is no improvement.

It probably comes from Ubuntu 14.04, but I'm not sure, this is why I created this thread. Did you try XBMC 13 before you upgraded Ubuntu from 13.10 to 14.04 ?
Mainline XBMC does not support multi-monitors. Try the FernetMenta branch.

You can change out the repo and install this branch by doing:

$ apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master ; apt-get update
$ apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

Or download the debs directly from http://ppa.launchpad.net/wsnipex/xbmc-fe...in/x/xbmc/

Before you do this; you can verify the current version (and branch) by doing a 'dpkg -s xbmc'.

btw., I've tested a number of different XBMC versions (12/13/14alpha) and can confirm that the issue does not lie there. (There are, however, changes in the way newer Ubuntu releases handles multi-monitor setups, which may or may not affect you as well.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Second screen not detected0