What hardware should I buy?
Just a side note: a lot of boxes have claimed 4k resolution for video playback even a year or two ago. I wouldn't read anything into any claim of 4k. I've only seem them demo 4k on a video player on those boxes at tech expos, and I don't think XBMC will even do anything with 4k right now on Android.
So..

I guess I left with these 2 following options:
Fire TV or NUC (what model)

What do you think is better?
Do you think i will be able to run P.E.S (soccer game) on one of those?

By the way, I understood that I can't access Netflix from my region so I remove it from my requirements.

BR,
Aviad
(2014-05-16, 05:34)Ned Scott Wrote: Just a side note: a lot of boxes have claimed 4k resolution for video playback even a year or two ago. I wouldn't read anything into any claim of 4k. I've only seem them demo 4k on a video player on those boxes at tech expos, and I don't think XBMC will even do anything with 4k right now on Android.

I do not have a 4K TV but I can confirm it will play 4K Video Samples in the dedicated 4K player installed on the M8.
(2014-05-16, 04:03)Packetcrypt Wrote: There are so many units out there at the $100 price range that meet your requirements. Stay away from single core units like Pivos, Jynxbox etc..

Dual Core units like the Mygica Atv520E, Atv1200 and Gbox MX2 all perform decent and will do what you need.

Now with XBMC Gotham many of the Quad Core RK3188 boxes work very well and have hardware acceleration. The CS918/Mk888B/Q7 all perform very well and are in your price range.

I would recommend getting the new AmLogic M8 Quad with 8 Core GPU. It is very fast, runs XBMC great and supports 4k resolution and is sitting at the $120 price range. It is still very new and has a few bugs in firmware ( can't download paid apps from playstore ).

Ouya and FireTv seem to be good options. I personally didn't like my ouya as it didn't run standard android and I didn't like using a controller. FireTv has been getting very good reviews but needs some tweaking and side loading to get it to do what you want.

Do you mean this one - http://www.amazon.com/M8-Bluetooth-Strea...B00JDCO22I

The Tronsmart Vega S89 (http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-Vega-S89...B00JGGK8II), which is the same SoC, doesn't do passthru of DD/DTS signals from what I know, its probably something not implemented in firmware correctly yet. So I'm not really sure how well it will work but it definitely has the fastest hardware.

(2014-05-16, 15:16)aviadavi Wrote: So..

By the way, I understood that I can't access Netflix from my region so I remove it from my requirements.

BR,
Aviad

Comparing 2 different classes of device - FireTV is Android so has some limitations (no HD audio etc) but also advantages (app store, lots of apps, cheaper), while NUC is a pc. It depends what you prefer. XBMC will most likely run better on NUC.

Which PES did you want to run? Is it pc game or Android?

You can view Netflix on other countries by using US based VPN but its an added cost.
(2014-05-16, 18:52)MrCrispy Wrote:
(2014-05-16, 04:03)Packetcrypt Wrote: There are so many units out there at the $100 price range that meet your requirements. Stay away from single core units like Pivos, Jynxbox etc..

Dual Core units like the Mygica Atv520E, Atv1200 and Gbox MX2 all perform decent and will do what you need.

Now with XBMC Gotham many of the Quad Core RK3188 boxes work very well and have hardware acceleration. The CS918/Mk888B/Q7 all perform very well and are in your price range.

I would recommend getting the new AmLogic M8 Quad with 8 Core GPU. It is very fast, runs XBMC great and supports 4k resolution and is sitting at the $120 price range. It is still very new and has a few bugs in firmware ( can't download paid apps from playstore ).

Ouya and FireTv seem to be good options. I personally didn't like my ouya as it didn't run standard android and I didn't like using a controller. FireTv has been getting very good reviews but needs some tweaking and side loading to get it to do what you want.

Do you mean this one - http://www.amazon.com/M8-Bluetooth-Strea...B00JDCO22I

The Tronsmart Vega S89 (http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-Vega-S89...B00JGGK8II), which is the same SoC, doesn't do passthru of DD/DTS signals from what I know, its probably something not implemented in firmware correctly yet. So I'm not really sure how well it will work but it definitely has the fastest hardware.

(2014-05-16, 15:16)aviadavi Wrote: So..

BR,
Aviad

Comparing 2 different classes of device - FireTV is Android so has some limitations (no HD audio etc) but also advantages (app store, lots of apps, cheaper), while NUC is a pc. It depends what you prefer. XBMC will most likely run better on NUC.

You can view Netflix on other countries by using US based VPN but its an added cost.

Yes, the M8 is the unit I have and I can confirm it does HD audio passthru perfectly fine in XBMC. From what I understand Netflix also works fine on it however you need a hacked Netflix APK if you want to play HD content.
That's great to hear since I am looking at the box. Just to confirm, you are saying regular DD/DTS as well as HD audio signals are passed thru to receiver?
(2014-05-16, 18:35)Packetcrypt Wrote:
(2014-05-16, 05:34)Ned Scott Wrote: Just a side note: a lot of boxes have claimed 4k resolution for video playback even a year or two ago. I wouldn't read anything into any claim of 4k. I've only seem them demo 4k on a video player on those boxes at tech expos, and I don't think XBMC will even do anything with 4k right now on Android.

I do not have a 4K TV but I can confirm it will play 4K Video Samples in the dedicated 4K player installed on the M8.

Decode it, sure, but what about the actual video output?
(2014-05-16, 18:52)MrCrispy Wrote: Comparing 2 different classes of device - FireTV is Android so has some limitations (no HD audio etc) but also advantages (app store, lots of apps, cheaper), while NUC is a pc. It depends what you prefer. XBMC will most likely run better on NUC.

PES can run on PS, XBOX, NINTENDO ,WINDOWS and Android

Can't I install Android on NUC? (dual boot)
(2014-05-17, 07:22)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-05-16, 18:35)Packetcrypt Wrote:

Decode it, sure, but what about the actual video output?

Not sure exactly what you mean. Someone at FreakTab modified a build of XBMC to play 4K video files. When I play the file it shows 4K video and 5.1 DTS in the XBMC player. Picture looks crystal clear on a 1080 TV . Would be nice to have a 4K Tv to see if there is a huge difference. Most people say outside of 10 feet you will not see much difference.
I don't understand why people even bother with 4K at this point in time
(2014-05-17, 21:45)nooryani84 Wrote: I don't understand why people even bother with 4K at this point in time

+1
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
Perhaps because they don't want to get 2 or 3 years down the track and be sorry they can't play the latest thing.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-05-18, 01:33)nickr Wrote: Perhaps because they don't want to get 2 or 3 years down the track and be sorry they can't play the latest thing.

Well... I live by the idea (when it comes to tech) that you should get it for what it can do today, not what it may do tomorrow.
So do I, but that is a slightly different proposition to "I know 4K is coming, I know the codecs they are going to use, can this machine do what I will require of it tomorrow?"
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-05-18, 05:33)nickr Wrote: So do I, but that is a slightly different proposition to "I know 4K is coming, I know the codecs they are going to use, can this machine do what I will require of it tomorrow?"

Exactly! When you know what's coming, why not build for it. I agree that you shouldn't buy something because they say it will be supported in the future, but if your building then build something that will be able to handle it. That way you not having to constantly upgrade your equipment each year because your equipment is too weak for it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What hardware should I buy?0