Intel NUC consumer IR Discrete Power ON/OFF?
I saw somewhere that the CIR in the newer NUCs support discrete power on/off
Just wondering if anyone has tried to get it working.

The power toggle of the standard WMC remote is not ideal for a setup with multiple devices.
I can't make it work. Toggle works fine.

I have tried the following profiles on my harmony 900:

Windows Media Center Edition
Windows Media Center SE
Media Center Keyboard
Intel DN2820FYKH

none of the send a discrete on or off recognized by the NUC. power toggle works in all profiles.

Has anyone found discrete ON/OFF codes for the NUC.

Sean
Can somebody explain to me what a discrete power on/off is please?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-05-26, 20:30)jammyb Wrote: Can somebody explain to me what a discrete power on/off is please?

An IR remote sends a burst of IR data whenever you press or hold down a key. The IR receiver within the device you are controlling will interpret an IR data burst, which if it is a valid IR code will cause the device tol take appropriate action.

But not all remotes have buttons for all the available IR codes defined by the manufacture as this would make the remotes too cumbersome for most. Luckily the manufacturers usually provide the device with the ability to act on these discrete codes which is very handy if you have a learning remote with macros.

Most remotes have a combination ON/OFF button that when pressed will send an IR code to the device which interprets it to mean power toggle. That is, pressing the combination ON/OFF button will result in the device turning ON if the device is already OFF or turning OFF if the device is already ON.

Alternatively, if your remote has discrete ON and discrete OFF power button, that is two separate buttons on your remote, pressing the "discrete power ON" button will result in the device turning ON if the device is already OFF but nothing will happen if the device is already ON. Likewise but opposite for a discrete power OFF button.

Also, some remotes include discrete input buttons (Input1, input2, input3, etc) which can directly selects the specific input rather than the cycle input button which requies multiple presses to get to the desired input.

The benefit of discrete IR codes is that their actions are deterministic, press power ON and the device goes on (or stays ON), press input 4 and the device changes to input 4. Toggle or cycle buttons are non deterministic as one needs to know the device state to know what will happen... and as IR remotes send codes to devices and devices don't (generally) send codes (states) to remotes, discrete codes are very useful whenever you define a macro on a learning remote...
I'm a XBMC novice :)
Great post!

I don't think MCE / RC6 has that at all! Sad
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Better late than never. Power on for Celeron NUC DN2820FYKH

A few days ago I finally found a discrete Power code for this NUC. I only found the Power On code and use the Power Toggle for Power Off.
On my Harmony 650, which I use only for this purpose, I loaded Microsoft Windows Media Centre and on the LCD screen page 5 is a command named Audio.
This command will switch the NUC on but not off. It will help me a lot with programming Universal Remotes like the URC MX-900 and the MX-780.
I hope you find it useful.
Cheers
(2014-11-29, 04:59)dickwyn Wrote: On my Harmony 650, which I use only for this purpose, I loaded Microsoft Windows Media Centre and on the LCD screen page 5 is a command named Audio.

Although, last comment was added six months ago... I want to say that it definitely works! Thanks dickwyn.
This Audio command switches audio tracks within video... but also turns on the nuc! Can be used as a workaround. It helps, as it doesn't shut NUC off, means if you got unsync with IR commands, NUC won't be shut...

Great thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC consumer IR Discrete Power ON/OFF?0