Cheapest LiveTV capable setup - Linux - Deinterlacing
I'm looking to build/buy a new HTPC. Price is important - hopefully less than £250, but definitely less than £300.

It needs to handle deinterlacing of Live TV without any issues on ubuntu.

I have an Asus EB1501 (Atom 330/nvidia ION) which does this fine with Bilinear scaling and Bob deinterlacing. I also have a Core i5/nvidia GT 620 system which obviously works great but is too big, and I don't want to use it as an HTPC anymore.

I've been looking at the Intel J1900 based systems, but I've read on here deinterlacing isn't too great/suitable. I've been thinking of pairing one of these boards with an nvidia GPU. Other options being an Intel Core i3 based NUC or an AMD based system.

Intel J1900/nvidia setup
Asrock Q1900-ITX motherboard
nvidia GPU (PCI-E x1)
4GB RAM
SSD
Case
PicoPSU
Total ~£280 (or £260 if I get the motherboard from Germany)

Intel Core i3 NUC
Intel D34010WYK
4GB RAM
SSD
Total ~£260

What would be recommended for this?
Is the lower power NUC capable?
Are there better/cheaper AMD setups available?

Edit:
Just priced up what I think would be the equivalent AMD based system.

AMD AM1
Asus AM1I-A
AMD Athlon 5150
4GB RAM
SSD
Case
PSU
Total ~ £210 (or less)
(2014-05-17, 14:55)ant_thomas Wrote: Intel Core i3 NUC
Intel D34010WYK
4GB RAM
SSD
Total ~£260

Hardware based advanced deinterlacing on intel is not yet working with xbmc. Also, the driver doesn't seem to implement cadence detection.

Based on my experience, the i3 nuc is not fast enough to do full rate yadif for 1080i. I didn't have time to investigate though - if you're considering this route, take a look at the vaapi-sse4 thread.

I would go with Nvidia for now for good deinterlacing (although the binary drivers can be a hassle).
I'm tempted with the AMD route if the people who have experience of this hardware can confirm it can do Lanczos3 scaling and yadif deinterlacing?

Since I already own a low-profile nvidia GT 620 I may use that until the AMD OSS drivers are capable (if that is the issue rather than hardware).
(2014-05-17, 17:48)lmyllari Wrote:
(2014-05-17, 14:55)ant_thomas Wrote: Intel Core i3 NUC
Intel D34010WYK
4GB RAM
SSD
Total ~£260

Hardware based advanced deinterlacing on intel is not yet working with xbmc. Also, the driver doesn't seem to implement cadence detection.

Based on my experience, the i3 nuc is not fast enough to do full rate yadif for 1080i. I didn't have time to investigate though - if you're considering this route, take a look at the vaapi-sse4 thread.

I would go with Nvidia for now for good deinterlacing (although the binary drivers can be a hassle).

Eh?

The Celeron 1007U can do SW YADIF 2x de-interlacing of VAAPI decoded 1080/50i, as can the 2955U. I'd be amazed if the i3 can't. I'm running OpenElec.
(2014-05-22, 22:00)noggin Wrote: Eh?

The Celeron 1007U can do SW YADIF 2x de-interlacing of VAAPI decoded 1080/50i, as can the 2955U. I'd be amazed if the i3 can't. I'm running OpenElec.
If that's the case, there was probably something wrong in my setup (OE beta). I was testing 1080i59.94 but I doubt that would make more difference than Celeron->i3.

How is the CPU load with 2x yadif? Is it split across the cores?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest LiveTV capable setup - Linux - Deinterlacing0