Req Install Repository/Add-Ons via HTTP
Quote: More than one dev is not allow to update add-ons. But GitHub can manage groups of devs. Don't get me wrong, but do someone proof the updates via git each add-on?

every XBMC team member can be allowed to push new addons. there are only a few that actually want to handle them. there are 6 or 7 devs doing that atm depending on what category.
It's a simple sourceforge git repo (for now at least, until we move it to github). Everyone can see where it's located and what gets added.
The only in between step are some bash scripts that handle the pulling updates from the central git source, zipping them up and creating the addons.xml

Yes we check the code before it gets added so no malicious things get done.

If you mean with
Quote: More than one dev is not allow to update add-ons.
that only the original author is allowed to update?
No this is not true. We encourage fixes to be send to the original author to keep things central. However if he does not respond within a reasonable time (they can be unavailable for some time) or lacks the time every single dev is allowed to update an add-on when it's properly tested.
We already have several add-on being replaced because we don't hear anything any more from the original creator, and some other steps up and takes over. With the mandatory credits to original author of course.

However this is totally off topic.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Quote:it's easy for myself following these steps. Imagine someone don't even know how to start a terminal and you want them to explain how to put files into their systems hard drive? Hmm ...
terminal? what's that ....

You do not need terminal on Windows/OSX/Linux/Android so that point is moot. Click the link in any browser and download it to a local folder which XBMC can access by default.

Quote:Adding a link is a one way solution. Where do you get so much steps out of it? I do not understand why this might be so hard to type in a link Huh I browse the third-party wiki, type in short link in XBMC's GUI, voilà!
you want it, you code it and send a pull-request.

until now no one is/was interested in doing that. so if some dev steps up and want to code it, he's free to do so.
it's opensource after all...
GitHub, great. Now, I'm happy to hear kinda like that. Smile

Off topic: I've got something progressively expressed. But subscribing to thousands of places/lists isn't productive. One place to handle everything would be a good solution.

Terminal? Hmm, excuse might had written console instead of terminal (osx).
Click the link in any browser, huh? Explain that my AppleTV Wink It would answer: wtf is a browser?
(2014-05-25, 14:14)Martijn Wrote: you want it, you code it and send a pull-request.

until now no one is/was interested in doing that. so if some dev steps up and want to code it, he's free to do so.
it's opensource after all...
o.k. sounds pleasant.
// GitHub // Repository

// USTV VoD (Video-on-Demand) / World News Live / MRT Play
who uses an ATV2 anyway Tongue

Quote:Off topic: I've got something progressively expressed. But subscribing to thousands of places/lists isn't productive. One place to handle everything would be a good solution.
we have ONE place and that is the addon mailing list. You want your addon updated. You send a mail with 5 lines of text and done.

about github: This will still ONLY be for XBMC team members to operate (but visible to every one). We will still use the mailing list as not every one knows how to use git or even actaully uses it. In the end we will probably allow a direct pull request to repo. HOWEVER only under certain conditions. Still it will only be for team members to hit the OK button
Angry I use!

about github: facepalm. So you wanna tell me learning GitHub or using a own git server (gitlab or gitorious) isn't easy to handle? but setting up an http server (for file browser) is easier? Woo, hell no!

Git is so easy. Pull up a request, wait for your ok. thumbs up.
// GitHub // Repository

our rule for github will be:
* one single commit defined as "[addon_id] version_number"
* we do not want any development history (so not one single commit the developer has ever done)
* not x amount of different devs doing fixes at the same time for same addon

so now comes the difficult part. you get some comments on what needs changing and you need to update your PR.
you need to update the initial PR with latest changes, still with only ONE single commit
how many starting git users know how to do that?
now you start to get an array of dev who all in their good will start to directly do PRs against our repo instead of combining them to the "original dev" his repo. Now all those need to be told that they need to do fixes against to original repo and only combine them as a single PR to repo.
Then comes the matter of rebasing, no merge master commit, and so on. Sure there are devs who know how to do this all but those are probably only a few.
Yes there can be guides on how-to, but who reads them even before submitting.

see the mayhem coming to light?...
Wow, no transparency. Never mind, honestly I think I'm really good with my part using GitHub as repository.
// GitHub // Repository

(2014-05-25, 15:14)moneymaker Wrote: Wow, no transparency.
whatHuh??

you are obviously not reading it right
(2014-05-25, 14:55)Martijn Wrote: our rule for github will be:
* we do not want any development history (so not one single commit the developer has ever done)
explain Huh means I can't look back what has been done versions ago.
// GitHub // Repository

(2014-05-25, 15:24)moneymaker Wrote:
(2014-05-25, 14:55)Martijn Wrote: our rule for github will be:
explain Huh means I can't look back what has been done versions ago.

developer has hit git repo which is openesource and free to visit. we don't want HIS history and 23 commits between the two versions.

This is how we want the commits
http://sourceforge.net/p/xbmc/scripts/ci.../log/?path=
nothing more. you can still see the diff between the two versions but only in ONE commit. you want more detail, go ask the author.

You still can go back for every single commit ever added to the repo.
http://sourceforge.net/p/xbmc/scripts/ci...downloader
back on topic about the download installation thingy. What I do on my PI for example is to download the addon on my phone/tablet and either push it to my PI, NAS or access my devices from the PI. Same will for sure work for an ATV2 - no terminal/console required. And I think the "enter URL to download" thing could easily be handled by an addon itself (a simple add URL to download shit addon should be fine to have in official repo)
Users are already expected to add their own sources for Videos and Music. How hard would it be for even a basic user to add a "source" for Addon zip files as well?
(2014-05-26, 00:03)Karnagious Wrote: Users are already expected to add their own sources for Videos and Music. How hard would it be for even a basic user to add a "source" for Addon zip files as well?

For a basic user it could be difficult. You must remember that not everyone that uses XBMC are power users, maybe some dont even know what a zip file is (i know, but there are people out there that dont know this). Not saying todays solution doesnt work, but every improvement is an improvement Smile

A clear benefit of making it easier to add repositories and add-ons from outside of XBMC is that more users and more developers will have an interest in supporting the platform.
Like I said, adding a source is already assumed to be the most basic knowledge, and adding a source for downloaded installation files would be at that level.

I can't see how the functionality (as I am understanding it right now) hits any sort of "sweet spot" or taps into a currently unreached demographic that doesn't understand how to install software but does know what a URL is and how to enter it.

It is easy to provide add-ons to the official repo, and the installation of non-repo add-ons isn't onerous. So I really doubt that adding some extra functionality is going to lead to a noticeable increase in development.

To illustrate this point, it is hard to imagine there is a single dev in the world who is thinking "I have the great idea for an XBMC addon, but the installation process isn't automatic, so I wont bother creating it."

Such a dev, one who is put off by the installation method, is unlikely to be that passionate about their idea so would be unlikely to see their idea through to completion or continue to support it. Like I said, it is hard to imagine there is a dev who is passionate about their idea and yet who would see the installation as such a barrier that they would forego the development.

Can you describe a specific, realistic use-case for the function?
if devs are concernd about ease of use and ease of installation of their addons, they should simply submit them to the official repo, which as a bonus will give them the biggest XBMC audience anyways.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install Repository/Add-Ons via HTTP0