Linux [solved] Problem installing XBMCbuntu 13 on partioned 3TB hdd
I installed XBMCbuntu 12 on a new 3TB system some time ago. I formatted it by creating a bios_grub partition so XBMCbuntu was able to recognize the hdd without using anything saying EFI (at least to my best knowledge), and installed the system to another partition while creating a 3rd for all my stuff. Now I have a problem upgrading. What I want is to create a fresh XBMCbuntu 13 installation in the partition of my XBMCbuntu 12 rather than upgrading via software repository, cause it comes with a newer version of Ubuntu etc. . Which means I need the installation to recognize the existing partitions on the 3TB hdd Which it unfortunately doesn't. I'm booting from a USB memory stick which I've prepared with the downloaded image via UNetBootin, I start the installation by booting from the stick and after selecting language etc. I come to the screen where it says "no installed OS found" and offers me to format my whole hdd or to do something other, I chose something other and come to a gparted-like overview of my hdd's and partitions, the 3TB hdd shown as empty. Any suggestions?

Edit: My bios offers me to boot the memory stick in UEFI mode, when I chose that it seems to completely skip the stick and just boot from hdd.
Ok, it turned out my gpt was corrupt. I fixed that and it installs over the old installation, However, when I boot it drops to the grub rescue prompt, stating 'normal.mod' not found. I tried fixing this again by using the xbmcbuntu13 live system and the chroot method to reinstall grub. Then the new xbmc installation on my hdd will boot...forever. it is stuck after a boot step sysing something like nfsv4 <-> devices.
Oh well, nevermind me ^^' I overlooked that the installation process was aborted due to not finding a cdrom drive, therefore the installation wasn't complete...not that the process would notice me of a faulty installation in the end, but that's another problem. Anyway, solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[solved] Problem installing XBMCbuntu 13 on partioned 3TB hdd0