New to XBMC. Can you answer a couple ?
Hi,

I have been using Windows Media Center for 7 years. In general I have been happy with it, but recently have been disappointed with the lack of development. Specifically with plug-ins for streaming media services. I think XBMC could be the answer. Can you help me begin my journey?

I like WinMC because it allowed me to stay in one environment using one remote control to access all my content. It eliminates switching inputs and fiddling with remotes. I know some of this is answered in the many posts here. I really would just like to get some direct feedback on what I am about to do.

1. Does XMBC currently support recording like a PVR
  2. Does it have plug-ins for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, or maybe Roku?
  3. Does it support DVD and BluRay playback?
  4. I use MC extenders for other rooms. How does XBMC handle this? Will I need new hardware?
  5. This machine would only run XBMC. Is there an advantage of running, say the linux version of Windows? etc?
  6. Will XBMC accept and playback .wtv from MC?
  7. Is there anything else you can tell me?

I have an Acer AspireRevo RL80-U23 ordered and coming for this project. I will develop this offline while my Media Center continues to keep the wife happy until the conversion to XBMC.
welcome to your new addiction.
  1. yes PVR (wiki)
  2. Not internally. Via add-on it is possible depending on your OS.
  3. Absolutely Stubs (wiki) files - bluray may require some work
  4. upnp (wiki)
  5. all depends on what you want out of it.
  6. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Fea...ed_formats
  7. google is your friend, as is the search feature on the site.
2 & 5: If you want Netflix in SuperHD (+) streams with 5.1 audio, the Windows 8 metro app is, AFAIK, the only one (on PC platform) that will currently do this "out of the box" for now. There are workarounds in the works using a PlayOn proxy (read here). If this is not needed, and you only intend to run XBMC - OpenELEC is absolutely worth a shot. Its free, very resource/hardware efficient, built from base for HTPC(XBMC) use - and can run off a USB stick if you simply want to try it out first. Great for "low-end hardware".

7. As mentioned, Google and forum search. If you encounter a problem with XBMC and ask for help in the forum - please include a debug log from "the get-go" , thus you're much more likely to get productive help quicker. And if you're running a multi-client environment, have a look at Yatse remote for Android/iStuff units. Works over wifi (and /3g/4g if you want) - and has a vast array of feature I would imagine useful and handy. Some of the functions require the "non-freebie "unlocker", but the base version is free and should give you a good notion of what it can and cannot do.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
XBMC General Discussion
General discussion about XBMC. Please do not post any support questions or feature requests here.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to XBMC. Can you answer a couple ?0