HTPC + NAS
Hi!

I'm thinking of buying a new htpc, now I'm running Acer Revo R3610, with ubuntu minimal installation x64.
As htpc the Acer works great, but when you add all the "server"-applications and settings it becomes pretty slow from time to time.

On my Acer right now...
* xbmc
* mysql (for shared library and som testing)
* webmin
* Maraschino
* CouchPotato
* SickBeard
* deluge thin-client
* owncloud
* timemachine (apples backup)
* tvheadend
* openvpnserver
* chrome + pipelight (netflix and viaplay, unwatchable very laggy)
...and 3 external hdds (is going to be internal in the new htpc)

So I was looking for a all-in-one motherboard that has more power, and low power consumption.
At first look this seems like a good alternative, ASROCK - Q1900DC-ITX J1900 MITX

Any experience? Or better alternative?
Check out this thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=184930

I'm not sure if it mentions that motherboard specifically, but you should be able to read about how well that group of motherboards works in Linux and other applications.

Personally, I have an ECS NM70-I2 that I'm using as a NAS (but not as a HTPC, although Newegg reviews say it also worked well as an HTPC) and it seems to handle FreeNAS just fine. I'm only running Plex Media Server and Transmission, but I also had Couchpotato, Sickbeard, and a few other plugins installed with no problems as well. I'm sure it would handle Ubuntu and those other programs just fine. I'm not sure how well it would work as a HTPC and a NAS at the same time though.

Also, why not keep your HTPC and your NAS machines separate? If your Acer unit works great as an HTPC, why not just build a separate NAS machine and continue to use the Acer as your HTPC? Personally, I think you'd have to get some slightly faster hardware if you wanted to run a NAS with all those extra programs and use it as a HTPC at the same time. I'd recommend going with at least an i3 if you wanted to run NAS and HTPC functions on the same machine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC + NAS0