• 10(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
I have a friend who is trying to use XBMC with jaws however everytime she switches to it with the addon settings it always defaults back to sapi. The debug log is on, where is that to possibly send to you to maybe figure out why it's happening.
(2014-10-03, 18:16)blindndangerous Wrote: I have a friend who is trying to use XBMC with jaws however everytime she switches to it with the addon settings it always defaults back to sapi. The debug log is on, where is that to possibly send to you to maybe figure out why it's happening.

If Traker1001's advice doesn't work for you, the log is located at %APPDATA%\XBMC\xbmc.log, which is typically something like C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\xbmc.log.

(2014-10-04, 03:56)Traker1001 Wrote: -Ruuk- for the latest alpha they are changing the User folder, Are there any code changes that need to be implemented for this?

That is a good question. I think it could definitely affect the windows installer in the future, but I don't think anything in the code is hardcoded with the user folder. I try to avoid that for this sort of reason, and addons with these sorts of paths aren't accepted into the official repository (assuming someone catches it) for the same reason.
(2014-10-04, 23:24)Traker1001 Wrote: Figured it probably wasn't, Just wanted to point it out just in case. Smile
Thanks. You never know what I might miss Smile You did get me to think ahead about the windows installer, which obviously is something I need reminding about as the installer was still installing Frodo until a couple of days ago.
fyi, some use portable so userdata is located elsewhere (inside the install folder). Also take that in account
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-10-17, 11:52)Traker1001 Wrote: Been little bit since we have been doing much. Hope everything has been going well for you. Everything has been working real well. Few minor issues I have come across recently.

So I recently (Finally) managed to get my WMC box setup and stable and have really started digging into the PVR application with the speech add-on. Currently my setups are using 13.2 Gotham with confluence. I have tried alpha 4 helix and getting same issue among others (Which won't go into since only alpha.) I have found that It reads the show title and I can get info on the show, including time when I hit "I". However it skips what channel the show is on. It reads "Channel" then reads "Genre" directly after.

Any ideas. :

@Edit - I did remember that we did the F2 for this, and it does work on "EPG - Time Line". However the other EPG views don't read very well. Kinda hoping we can find a way to clean this up a bit so it works little smoother, Just unsure how.

Well, as I mentioned a while back I've been busy with summer activities, but that's done. I've also been doing maintenance on some of my other addons, which I'm mostly finished with. Most recently I was invited to the Kodi DevCon in Portugal. While there we were able to hash out some things about getting the TTS addon into the official repository. That's now on track to happen soon. Everyone seemed very supportive of making Kodi accessible with the addon. Also, while there, I was made a Team-Kodi member, which was really cool for me. This should benefit the addon, not because of any special treatment per se, but I now I can communicate more directly with the other team members.

My next step with the addon is to localize all the strings in preparation for inclusion to the official repo. After that I'll be looking to do more work on improving the addon.

When I get home from work today I'll see if I can look into what you mentioned in your post.
Love your addon but I am have 2 small problems with it.
I am using Gotham final release in windows 8.1 and Aeon MQ 5 is my skin.

1. It keeps showing up as disabled and I am re-enabling it frequently.
2. I keep getting this error: error: not well-formed (invalid token): line 3786

It would be great to fix these........thanks
I am new to this thread and have tried to read everything that's out about this plugin. I've used it with Windows, but want to make sure I'm not missing something. Is the TTS available on IOS? I just purchased an iPad and want to install XBMC on it. I'm totally blind and know that Voiceover can't access the program. I was hoping to install the TTS and use a Bluetooth keyboard to control XBMC. I'm very new at all of this, the new iPad was the first device I ever jailbroke. I appreciate any help and please forgive my being so new at all of this.
(2014-10-22, 21:33)iblong Wrote: Love your addon but I am have 2 small problems with it.
I am using Gotham final release in windows 8.1 and Aeon MQ 5 is my skin.

1. It keeps showing up as disabled and I am re-enabling it frequently.
2. I keep getting this error: error: not well-formed (invalid token): line 3786

It would be great to fix these........thanks

1. I'm not sure why this would be happening. The only thing that would cause the addon to be disabled is manually disabling it, or if you have installed the keymap and are pressing the key assigned to disable. Errors in an addon don't cause them to disable.

2. I have no idea what that error could be. None of my code has that many lines it it so it would have to be in a library. From the what you've posted I can't even tell if the error is from my addon.

In any case, I will need a log to find out what the issue is. If I get that, I will fix it as soon as I can.
(2014-10-23, 17:38)mbmccarty Wrote: I am new to this thread and have tried to read everything that's out about this plugin. I've used it with Windows, but want to make sure I'm not missing something. Is the TTS available on IOS? I just purchased an iPad and want to install XBMC on it. I'm totally blind and know that Voiceover can't access the program. I was hoping to install the TTS and use a Bluetooth keyboard to control XBMC. I'm very new at all of this, the new iPad was the first device I ever jailbroke. I appreciate any help and please forgive my being so new at all of this.

The addon probably won't work on IOS devices. I don't have access to one so there is no way for me to be sure and no way for me to add support. Both Android and IOS are difficult because there is no easy way to interact with built in services or apps from within XBMC, but at least I have experience developing for and own Android devices, so I will eventually be able to add support there. IOS could probably be made to work, but I won't be able to do it. Maybe I could get the author of the XBMC IOS remote to help me out in the future.
(2014-10-17, 11:52)Traker1001 Wrote: So I recently (Finally) managed to get my WMC box setup and stable and have really started digging into the PVR application with the speech add-on. Currently my setups are using 13.2 Gotham with confluence. I have tried alpha 4 helix and getting same issue among others (Which won't go into since only alpha.) I have found that It reads the show title and I can get info on the show, including time when I hit "I". However it skips what channel the show is on. It reads "Channel" then reads "Genre" directly after.
I was able to reproduce this. I'll see about fixing it.
(2014-10-17, 11:52)Traker1001 Wrote: @Edit - I did remember that we did the F2 for this, and it does work on "EPG - Time Line". However the other EPG views don't read very well. Kinda hoping we can find a way to clean this up a bit so it works little smoother, Just unsure how.

Could you be more specific? Smile
(2014-10-25, 02:10)Traker1001 Wrote:
(2014-10-23, 22:02)ruuk Wrote: The addon probably won't work on IOS devices. I don't have access to one so there is no way for me to be sure and no way for me to add support.

IOS and Droid the only 2 OS's I have not had it working on in some form or other. Will IOS play with remote TTS server?
The TTS Server should work on all platforms if you set the option to play sound through XBMC.
(2014-10-25, 02:10)Traker1001 Wrote:
Quote: Could you be more specific?

Alright, So after some messing around, I have found the EPG:Timeline works really really well with the "Read extra item" option enabled. Everything reads, Channel names, Numbers, Times etc...Which is funny, because the "channel" doesn't read in the info screen for a program. It also read really well in the "TV channels" menu.
For information type windows, the text to speak is generally parsed from the window contents, whereas for items in a list, it is derived from the associated item data. So what works on one is not always going to work on the other. I'll figure out the issue though and make it work Smile
(2014-10-25, 02:10)Traker1001 Wrote: So I could think of 2 things that would this part make it perfect IMHO.
1, If there were a way to separate the "Read extra items" option into 2 options 1 being only read extra items for PVR and the other "Extra Items for everything but PVR. Don't know if it is possible, but it would be cool.
I could add this sort of setting for many of the views. It wouldn't be that hard. Basically I could have the default setting, and have other views be able to be set to use the default, read or don't read.
(2014-10-25, 02:10)Traker1001 Wrote: The other item not a big deal but might be kinda cool, if there were a way to create just some kind of quick almost imperceptible (Paying attention for) beep or tick or something of the sort when I have an Item in the epg selected that is currently on if I select the channel and different sound for there is a scheduled recording for this show. Might even be cool if this were a separate addon.
This sounds like a cool idea. This sort of thing is very helpful to me, because it is not always going to be obvious to me what works best, or for that matter that something is even needed. A while ago, it did cross my mind that line that indicated the current time on the timeline was not represented in the what was spoken, but I didn't think very hard on it at the time as I was working on some other issue.
(2014-10-25, 02:10)Traker1001 Wrote: Also I have discovered a few bugs (In Gotham w/ Confluence),
When I go into the Info screen in a show and select "Add Timer" it reads a Y/N Dialogue, But doesn't actually read the selection. As I recall you had mentioned something about this previously, But I don't recall exactly what. Might have been that this was fixed for Helix? So I hope i'm not just re-iterating something you already know.

Also In "EPG:Now/Next" even with extra item info enabled, nothing reads except name of show. have to press Info to read description.

The other item is that Sometimes its like the timer for the "Read extra item info" doesn't work, I.E. It never starts reading the extra item info. I can left right, etc... but all it reads is the name. this seems to resolve itself though when I exit the guide or tv channels and go back in. Can't seem to find any errors in the log (But Ill look again when I restart, Log right now is massive.) This also seems to be completely random to me, I have been unable to replicate it exactly. Ill mess with it more and get back to you.
I'll look into these, and see if I can't duplicate the intermittent issues as well.
(2014-10-25, 02:10)Traker1001 Wrote: Once again thank you very much. Big Grin On a side note, you watching the World Series? who you rooting for? Royals, Right. Laugh
Unfortunately, I'm a hardcore programming nerd. I'm pretty much sports agnostic, to the point where I didn't really know the World Series was going on until you mentioned it Smile
Information 
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.84.

You can also get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Fix for Yes/No dialogs not reading buttons and other issues
  • Fix for Timeline: Now/Next extra info not reading
  • Fix for fadelabels not being read in window info and some text ordering issues
(2014-10-25, 02:10)Traker1001 Wrote: The other item is that Sometimes its like the timer for the "Read extra item info" doesn't work, I.E. It never starts reading the extra item info. I can left right, etc... but all it reads is the name. this seems to resolve itself though when I exit the guide or tv channels and go back in. Can't seem to find any errors in the log (But Ill look again when I restart, Log right now is massive.) This also seems to be completely random to me, I have been unable to replicate it exactly. Ill mess with it more and get back to you.
I fixed the other issues. Thinking on this issue, I'm wondering perhaps if the view is changing when in the PVR stuff, because depending on what you have selected on the left menu, there is different stuff displayed on the screen. Hopefully that makes sense. The interface isn't very intuitive even for a sighted person Smile
I haven't actually tried to duplicate the issue yet. I spent all my time so far fixing the other bugs, but I'll see if I can figure it out.
Information 
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.85.

You can also get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Localize strings

I also converted the project from using tabs to spaces, which will only mean something to you if you understand Python.

There are no user visible changes in this version, but I need to have it out there to make sure I haven't broken anything.
If all is well I well finally push this to the official repository Smile
I suggest: Kodi Reader For The Blind
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10