Release - XBMC TTS (Text To Speech) [Alpha]

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
Traker1001 Offline
(2014-08-23 17:58)dallasnights Wrote:  Does this work on ATV2 yet, thanks for the great work

hello, No it doesn't. We had it running on ATV2 for a while when it initially came out, However, the Apple TV cpu just couldn't handle it. It was way to slow and unreliable.

Quote:I was able to use the tts on helix.
I can only get speech to work by installing xbmc using the tts installer.
If I install xbmc without using the tts or update with another install, i get no speech.
I can only get speech back by uninstalling and installing.
I have not deleted my profile folder.
I am trying hard not to do so because I spent a lot of time setting xbmc up the way i wish.
Any thoughts on what I can try to solve this problem.
I am sure if I removed xbmc completely and installed again that would solve the problem.
Any thoughts on how to solve the problem without doing so.

Try uninstalling the TTS addon. Then go into the profile folder under "userdata" then "addon_data" and delete the "service.xbmc.tts" folder. Then try re-installing it however you want and see if that changes anything.
(This post was last modified: 2014-08-24 00:58 by Traker1001.)
find quote
blofy Offline
Thanks a lot for that.

I had to reinstall because xbmc stopped working after every played video.

It works again with the latest helix.

Obviously, something corrupted the program.

thanks again
find quote
blindndangerous Offline
I do have one more suggestion that I just thought of yesterday. While editing text, I realized that I can not use left and right arrows to review text, or any of the other key commands to review text. Is their a way that this could be added in if possible? Currently you have to know where you are and you could arrow where you need to be and then edit and TTS will read if you backspace or if you add in text to the field. If it can be added in, this would be really useful especially for usernames or keys such as with the dropbox addon when entering your key.
This would also be useful in the text we were as if you try to view change locks, speech will read everything as it comes in, and not even pressing control will stop it. leaving the window will not even stop it.The only way that I found to stop it is to kill my screenreader and then relaunching it, making me have to go back into the configuration and switch back to it because it will automatically switch to SAPI.
(This post was last modified: 2014-08-26 19:02 by blindndangerous.)
find quote
ruuk Offline
Team-Kodi Member
(2014-08-26 18:29)blindndangerous Wrote:  I do have one more suggestion that I just thought of yesterday. While editing text, I realized that I can not use left and right arrows to review text, or any of the other key commands to review text. Is their a way that this could be added in if possible? Currently you have to know where you are and you could arrow where you need to be and then edit and TTS will read if you backspace or if you add in text to the field. If it can be added in, this would be really useful especially for usernames or keys such as with the dropbox addon when entering your key.
This would also be useful in the text we were as if you try to view change locks, speech will read everything as it comes in, and not even pressing control will stop it. leaving the window will not even stop it.The only way that I found to stop it is to kill my screenreader and then relaunching it, making me have to go back into the configuration and switch back to it because it will automatically switch to SAPI.

I'm in an airport in Alaska awaiting my flight home, so I can't check, but I don't think I can track cursor movements. I also can't have the addon react to key commands as the 'keyboard' captures them all. I'll see if I can get something added to Kodi so we can make this work in the future. Right now I have to track changes in the text to determine what letters have been added or removed.

As for the other thing I'm not sure what you meant exactly, but did you try the F4 key? Assuming you have the keymap installed this should stop speech in Kodi.

[Image: sig.jpg]
find quote
ruuk Offline
Team-Kodi Member
(2014-08-21 06:49)blindndangerous Wrote:  One thing that I do have a suggestion for is the addon called Web viewer. It seems to be completely text-based, and linear, but your addon does not work with it. It's used for social addons like the twitter and facebook addons to authorize however the addon does not speak the screen.

Well the problem with WebViewer is that it uses textboxes, which aren't readable in Gotham, but will be in Helix. I'll have to check whether WebViewer will work on Helix in any case because it works in a non-normal way. I should be able to make WebViewer work regardless as I'm the author of that addon.

find quote
blindndangerous Offline
Ah, I didn't try F4. Thanks for that.
find quote
ruuk Offline
Team-Kodi Member
(2014-08-27 07:13)blindndangerous Wrote:  Ah, I didn't try F4. Thanks for that.

You can also edit the keymap from the addon settings and change that to a different key.

find quote
jasonmb Offline
Ruuk

Apologies for this as the answer maybe embedded elsewhere on this forum. BUT. I have configured my android device (Gbox Midnight MX2) to run Google Speech and that works great allowing me to navigate the initial boot screen and start Kodi (Gotham 13.2) . I have installed your addon and configured it to use a speech engine etc but i don't hear any speech from Kodi when moving through the screens. On restart of Kodi I hear a high pitched tone that lasts for a split second but then nothing else. Am I missing something here that should be running at an OS level before I get into Kodi? or is there a config piece that needs enabling on the addon?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received Frown
find quote
Traker1001 Offline
(2014-09-02 05:21)jasonmb Wrote:  Ruuk

Apologies for this as the answer maybe embedded elsewhere on this forum. BUT. I have configured my android device (Gbox Midnight MX2) to run Google Speech and that works great allowing me to navigate the initial boot screen and start Kodi (Gotham 13.2) . I have installed your addon and configured it to use a speech engine etc but i don't hear any speech from Kodi when moving through the screens. On restart of Kodi I hear a high pitched tone that lasts for a split second but then nothing else. Am I missing something here that should be running at an OS level before I get into Kodi? or is there a config piece that needs enabling on the addon?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received Frown

Unfortunately the addon is not yet compatible with Android OS. It is something Ruuk has expressed interest in accomplishing in the future, However it is little bit more difficult to do with Android.
find quote
ruuk Offline
Team-Kodi Member
Right now it only works with the speech server running on another computer.

find quote
Traker1001 Offline
Oh, I hadn't realized you had even gotten that far on Droid.
find quote
ruuk Offline
Team-Kodi Member
(2014-09-04 10:41)Traker1001 Wrote:  Oh, I hadn't realized you had even gotten that far on Droid.

Well, I didn't do anything special for Droid. Using the speech server on another computer should work on any platform.

find quote
blindndangerous Offline
Whenever I launch XBMC now I get a sound playing. It's not a XBMC TTS sound, and NVDA doesn't read me anything, so I'm not sure what it's trying to tell me. It doesn't seem to bother anything, but I'm wondering if some text is coming up that the plugin can't see? To get the sound that I'm hearing, from the home screen with confluence, press H. It'll make the sound that I hear whenever I start up XBMC after the XBMC TTS ready sound plays.
Also, I really need to look over my posts before I post them from my phone. Man that's horrible writing. Thanks a lot dictation. haha. I am running what I believe should be Helix now, but pressing F4 does not stop speech from reading constantly the changelogs once started. Even after restarting the screenreader, it just starts up again. I'm guessing that it's sending information to the screenreader even after a restart.
(This post was last modified: 2014-09-18 15:11 by blindndangerous.)
find quote
ruuk Offline
Team-Kodi Member
(2014-09-18 15:09)blindndangerous Wrote:  Whenever I launch XBMC now I get a sound playing. It's not a XBMC TTS sound, and NVDA doesn't read me anything, so I'm not sure what it's trying to tell me. It doesn't seem to bother anything, but I'm wondering if some text is coming up that the plugin can't see? To get the sound that I'm hearing, from the home screen with confluence, press H. It'll make the sound that I hear whenever I start up XBMC after the XBMC TTS ready sound plays.
Also, I really need to look over my posts before I post them from my phone. Man that's horrible writing. Thanks a lot dictation. haha. I am running what I believe should be Helix now, but pressing F4 does not stop speech from reading constantly the changelogs once started. Even after restarting the screenreader, it just starts up again. I'm guessing that it's sending information to the screenreader even after a restart.

Pressing H brings up the PVR Live TV view. If you're not using PVR this will show a notification popup telling you that you don't have a PVR setup. I don't get a sound when I press H, but most likely this is the cause of what you are describing. Currently we don't have a way to speak notification dialogs, but that is something I will be working on in the future. Currently I can detect the dialog, and when it is shown I check for addon updates and have it speak those, which is kind of a hack way to handle those notifications, but I can't do that sort of thing with most notifications so it will have to wait on an internal change in XBMC/Kodi that allows access to the kind of label used in those dialogs.

As for F4 stopping speech, is the special Keymap installed? You can test this by pressing F1 which will repeat text for the current control. If it's not installed you need to go into Settings:Add-ons:Enabled Add-ons:Services:XBMC TTS:Configure and install the keymap from the keymap section. After this is installed you you can use F6 to bring up the settings in the future without navigating down all the hierarchy.

find quote
arsivci Offline
At first, I would like to send my deepest gratitudes for the creator of this amazing addon for which I have been looking for weeks. You are brilliant man! I have just a suggestion, is it possible for you to enable the first letter navigation for the tts? like when I press a letter, I go to that item starting with the initial I pressed? I have some free time for around a month, if you want me to test anything with regard to the addon, I am at your disposal.

one more question, is there a way that I can put all the items like system, video, setting and so forth as a list from top to down like we can do on windows through choosing details option?
(This post was last modified: 2014-09-20 14:49 by arsivci.)
find quote