Release - XBMC TTS (Text To Speech) [Alpha]

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
ruuk Online
Team-Kodi Member
Information  v0.0.75
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.75.

Get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Fix for speech-dispatcher eventually hanging on volume up/down
  • Change speech-dispatcher volume range in settings to 0-200% (was 0-100%, but 50% actually represented the real 100%)
  • Fix for sapi pitch, volume and rate not working on Windows 8

[Image: sig.jpg]
find quote
donkamillo Offline
I am visually impaired and have to litterally press my nose on the screen to see the text of dialog boxes and menus. So it is not very easy for me to use XBMC. I am running it under Ubuntu 14.04. You can't imagine how exciting it was to read through the pages. Will try it today.

Other than your addon, is there something else I have to install in order to get it running?

Regards.
find quote
donkamillo Offline
Got it running! Wow! The ESpeak sounds horrible, but compaired to total silence it is a very cool improvement! Finally I can control XBMC from my couch with my remote instead of getting to the TV and searching for the information I want.

Thanks for that great Addon!

Regards!
find quote
ruuk Online
Team-Kodi Member
(2014-06-18 13:35)donkamillo Wrote:  Got it running! Wow! The ESpeak sounds horrible, but compaired to total silence it is a very cool improvement! Finally I can control XBMC from my couch with my remote instead of getting to the TV and searching for the information I want.

Thanks for that great Addon!

Regards!

What platform are you running on? If you go to addons - enabled addons - service addons, find XBMC TTS and then configure, you can change the speech engine depending on what you have installed. Depending on your platform I can give you some info for what other options are available and what you need to install to make them work.

Whoops, you said the platform already. I'll post some info soon.

(This post was last modified: 2014-06-18 14:40 by ruuk.)
find quote
ruuk Online
Team-Kodi Member
If you install sox
Code:
sudo apt-get install sox libsox-fmt-mp3
or mpg123
Code:
sudo apt-get install mpg123
the Google TTS which uses Google's online tts will be available. Also available on Ubuntu are festival, flite and pico2wave. Cepstral is supported and has nice voices but is not free.

(This post was last modified: 2014-06-18 14:59 by ruuk.)
find quote
donkamillo Offline
For now I have it running with ESpeak. But I'll try the other ones as well. I thought of ESpeak because with that I know I can select a german voice. My GUI and most of my movies and tv shows are german.

Regards!
find quote
ruuk Online
Team-Kodi Member
(2014-06-18 15:07)donkamillo Wrote:  For now I have it running with ESpeak. But I'll try the other ones as well. I thought of ESpeak because with that I know I can select a german voice. My GUI and most of my movies and tv shows are german.
I checked Google and it does German natively (some languages are actually done with eSpeak). You just have to select German as the language for the engine settings. pico2wave also has German, you just need to select de-DE for the language. Cepstral also has two German voices, but each of them are $35.

(This post was last modified: 2014-06-18 20:05 by ruuk.)
find quote
donkamillo Offline
I tried to install the packages you mensioned above. But somehow I didn't get XBMC TTS to speak using Google TTS. I did see that it supports german. I will try the other engines you mensioned exept for the payware engine.

For now I am just satisfied with the ESpeak engine. I can browse my media, make settings, even got some of the TTS funcions mapped to my remote. Later I will try if I can use that with the PVR addons. That would make even my Dreambox more accessible for me.

That addon made my home entertainment life a lot easyer!

Regards!
PS: What I wrote sounds weird, I really have to work on my english gramma... :-(
find quote
ruuk Online
Team-Kodi Member
Information  v0.0.76
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.76.

Get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Will now speak version updates for addons even if they were updated while the TTS addon was disabled or not yet started
  • Added 'Keymap' category to settings and moved keymap options there
  • Added 'Install Default Keymap', 'Install Custom Keymap', 'Edit Custom Keymap', 'Reset Custom Keymap To Defaults' and 'Remove Installed Keymap' to Keymap category
  • XBMC no longer needs to be restarted on keymap install/update

The keymap editor will definitely work fine for keyboards. It may work for remotes but you may need to enable 'Remote control sends keyboard presses' in Settings:System:Input devices. I don't have a remote to test with so I haven't tested this.

If anyone asks for joypad support I will add it, but it won't be like the keyboard where you can just click a key to assign it to an action, you will have to enter the button number manually instead.

Hopefully I can get something set up remote-wise for testing. I have an old Xbox remote and receiver, but it looks like I'll have to jump through some hoops to get it working.

find quote
Traker1001 Offline
Im using MCE remotes and everything is working well. Although I am still looking for that "Perfect" remote, you know the one that contains all the keys to support everything I need. Would be surprised if anyone really needed joypad support.
(This post was last modified: 2014-06-27 10:16 by Traker1001.)
find quote
jhall Offline
wow! talk about blink of an eye!

I may have missed it, but does google tts have a rate adjustment setting?
find quote
alexp4re Offline
hi. can someone PLEASE help me. im gettin "script failed: xbmc tts." im not getting any verbal audio after the install. i tried to play around with diff. tts engine settings but still no audio. i dont know what settings to configure. im on windows 7 x64 gotham 13.1.thank you in advance.
find quote
ruuk Online
Team-Kodi Member
(2014-06-28 14:41)alexp4re Wrote:  hi. can someone PLEASE help me. im gettin "script failed: xbmc tts." im not getting any verbal audio after the install. i tried to play around with diff. tts engine settings but still no audio. i dont know what settings to configure. im on windows 7 x64 gotham 13.1.thank you in advance.
I fired up my windows 7 Virtual Machine and updated the addon and am now getting script errors. I'm looking into it.

find quote
Traker1001 Offline
Huh, One of my machines is running 7 x64 Gotham 13.1 and recently updated add-on and i'm not getting any such error. I wonder where the difference is. Ill mess around with it see if I can figure anything out on my side to help you out.

alexp4re, It should work by default, You shouldn't have to mess with the settings for the windows install to get it working. Are you using SAPI (Default Windows 7 speech engine), Or something else for speech? Is this and Upgrade or install from scratch? Anyway if you could provide a copy of the log via pastebin or something of the sort it might help Ruuk figure out whats going on.
(This post was last modified: 2014-06-28 21:35 by Traker1001.)
find quote
ruuk Online
Team-Kodi Member
I tested on both 7 and 8.1 and got errors. They were different but both comtypes errors. Vista didn't have any errors. I'm out of time today but I'll figure it out hopefully tomorrow.

find quote