• 4(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
alexp4re: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...=windows-7

Try the instructions at this link and see if you need to do something to enable Windows speech.
@ ruuk - in speech recog settings in windows, i was able to find the default 'microsoft anna' tts engine, but my primary tts engine that i prefer & use...does not show up. it does show up in xbmc under ur addon, but gives me script failed. did u get a chance to review my log?

http://pastebin.com/W6Brx63u

@ Traker1001 - thanx for reccommending NVDA, but it's too overwhelming. it works well with xbmc, but outside of it...it takes over every aspect of computer usage. there's so much unnecessary dialog. NVDA is intended for the visually impaired.

would love for this addon to work, but it doesn't look too promising.

UPDATE: if i disable it & then enable the addon, it works only until i exited out of xbmc then doesn't anymore with script failed.
@ Traker1001 - tried Quartz skin and uninstallin & reinstallin addon per ur suggestions, but still gettin script failed error. i dont know why i'am gettin those errors like you when in my power options is set never to off display & computer. i even turned off xbmc screensaver for the sake of tryin to remedy this problem.

bottom line: addon does work if i disable & then enable it, but once i exit out of xbmc it no longer works . i turn on xbmc & i am welcomed with a xbmc tts: script failed error. in order for me to use the addon again, i have to go thru the process of manually disable & then enable it.
@ Traker1001 - when i go back in to xbmc, it no longer works w/ script failed. i have to go thru menus to disable & then enable for it to work again. once i exit xbmc it will no longer work. i gotta repeat the process.

thanks for lettin me know about the F12 hotkey shortcut, which will save me time. i would rather like to get this corrected the right way tho. also, it does works with anna & my primary voice tts engine. im able to adjust the settings too. i didnt need NVDA, which i uninstalled.

update on F12 key: works good. i have to rmbr to DISABLE the addon before i exit out of xbmc in order for it to work again when i re-enter back to xbmc. if not, then i get script failed where i have to do the disable then enable trick.
I'll have more time in a few hours to look at this. Alexp4re: I did look at your log when you first posted it, but the error isn't very useful. It is being raised by comtypes, which is basically the library between the addon and SAPI and, as is normal for these errors, it isn't very informative about the root cause. You mentioned your primary speech engine. What specifically do you mean by that? Is there something installed other then Windows' default?
Also, your error is unrelated to Traker1001's error, as yours is a failure to even initialize the speech object and a different sort of error.
There is likely something different about your setup as you are the only one reporting this issue. My first suspect is whatever you are referring to as your primary speech engine, but if there is anything else that may be relevant, please let me know so I can possibly try to duplicate the conditions, or at least have some data to go on.
@ Traker1001 - yes, it starts right away if i disable b4 i exit then no script failed. but if not disable when exitin xbmc, upon loadin xbmc will result script failed error.

@ ruuk - u ask about my primary speech engine, its actually just a voice software from AT&T 'Crystal' that is more pleasing voice than Anna that i prefer to use. i can switch it to Anna in the addon settings tho.

Ruuk - my question to u is that why am i gettin script error on loadin up xbmc if ur addon is enabled? i have to disable then enable the addon in order for it to work. (above desribes more details)
(2014-07-01, 14:06)alexp4re Wrote: @ ruuk - u ask about my primary speech engine, its actually just a voice software from AT&T 'Crystal that is more pleasing voice than Anna that i prefer.
This is helpful. Is there any way to get this software that doesn't cost money?
(2014-07-01, 14:06)alexp4re Wrote: Ruuk - my question to u is that why am i gettin script error on loadin up xbmc if ur addon is enabled? i have to disable then enable the addon in order for it to work. (above desribes more details)
When you load up XBMC, the TTS service addon starts. It then tries to use a suitable backend (preferably the one you have chosen in settings). Then in the case of SAPI, it creates a speech object via the Comtypes library which is a library that allows using windows libraries via Python. This is where your script error happens. If I knew the reason it would be fixed now Smile
alexp4re: I am able to duplicate your error, but only when switching voices between Anna and the AT&T Crystal. Can you try setting the voice to Anna in the addon settings and make sure to click OK on the dialog. Then restart xbmc a few times and see if it speaks on startup without changing anything.
Information 
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.78.

Get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Added fix for select dialogs causing looping errors in skins other than Confluence
  • Added fix for COMError issues when stopping speech in SAPI
  • Added more informative SAPI COMError logging

Traker1001: This should fix the first looping error and hopefully overcome the second error. The second error is a SAPI comtypes error with a code that maps to "The requested data item (data key, value, etc.) was not found." I have no idea what that means in this context so I'm having it ignore and log the error. This means that when this error happens, it will fail to interrupt speech. If it turns out that once it starts it keeps throwing this error, your speech will no longer interrupt and we can check the log for repeats of this error.

Also, what particular version of windows are you getting this in so I can have a better chance of duplicating this?
@ ruuk - settin it on Anna still gives me script failed. tryin diff. skin also gave me the same results, so its not skin related.

i notice ur repo just updated the addon right now. too bad it didnt fix my problem.
(2014-07-01, 21:00)alexp4re Wrote: @ ruuk - settin it on Anna still gives me script failed. tryin diff. skin also gave me the same results, so its not skin related.
What I need to know is if you set it on Anna (within the addon settings) and leave it on Anna if it throws the error right after a restart. Specifically, when you restart it after you have set it on Anna and open the addon settings it says 'Anna' in the setting for Voice. Since I can't completely duplicate this error I need specific information about the behavior because I can't get it directly myself.
(2014-07-01, 21:00)alexp4re Wrote: you ask about gettin AT&T "Crystal". the file size is 519mb. i dont think im able to email that big of a file size. how would i get it to you? i dont & never used any type of cloud services.
No worries, I've managed to get it installed, which is how I managed to duplicate the actual error message you're getting, though it doesn't seem to be happening in the same part of the addon code as it is for you.
(2014-07-01, 21:00)alexp4re Wrote: i notice ur repo just updated the addon right now. too bad it didnt fix my problem.
I'm still trying to figure it out.
@ ruuk - yes, settin it to Anna & doin a restart will give me script failed when i re-enter xbmc. as long as i remember to manually disable the addon before i exit xbmc, when i re-enter xbmc then i won't get script error.

i wanted to bring to ur attention with the latest update on addon that it's seems unstable. i.e., the addon will stop workin for no reasons or i choose a music song while its playin & the addon stops workin after. it never happen before your recent update to 0.0.7.8. not sure if its a isolated problem w/ my computer.
(2014-07-01, 22:07)alexp4re Wrote: @ ruuk - yes, settin it to Anna & doin a restart will give me script failed when i re-enter xbmc. as long as i remember to manually disable the addon before i exit xbmc, when i re-enter xbmc then i won't get script error.
Perhaps something is left hanging when XBMC is shutdown normally, though I don't know what or why.
(2014-07-01, 22:07)alexp4re Wrote: i wanted to bring to ur attention with the latest update on addon that it's seems unstable. i.e., the addon will stop workin for no reasons or i choose a music song while its playin & the addon stops workin after. it never happen before your recent update to 0.0.7.8. not sure if its a isolated problem w/ my computer.
Well I tried a bunch of things to duplicate this, but I couldn't get it to happen. I'll need a new log with these errors. This will likely not be as elusive a problem as your original issue Smile
alexp4re:

Can you try this:

Open a command line in administrator mode and then type this (substitute your path if different):

Code:
c:\Program Files\XBMC\xbmc.exe -p

This will start XBMC in portable mode with with config data in the current directory without affecting your current install. Then install my repository and the addon and see if it works any better. I've noticed from your log that you have quite a few addons and services installed and I'd like to rule out the possibility that one of these may be affecting the TTS addon.

This is in regards to the original startup error.
@ ruuk - hi. i open cmd under administrator & enter: C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\xbmc.exe -p
and i get this: c:\program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

* it's not starting xbmc in portable mode per your instructions.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10