• 25(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
I've finally fixed the installer and the addon link on the Downloads Page Smile
Just putting my vote in for a way to capture history if at all possible. I keep having to reauthorize the youtube addon and to do this I need to enter in a code. Since I can't use Screen Review with NVDA to get the code it makes this really annoying to get it off the screen to enter into the Google page. But as always, thank you Ruuk for all the work you have done with this. We really all do appreciate it.
I do want to also mention one other thing. I think I've mentioned it before, but if you go into a text viewer, their is no way to stop speech once it starts reading until it's finished. Pressing F4 does not stop it, as well as pressing F12 to kill the addon. Not even restarting the screenreader will stop it. The only way it will stop is if it reaches the end of the document. So even if you change screens, it will ignore everything else until it's done reading the document. So you might not want to go reading changelogs unless you want to hear every single change everytime you go into one.
(2015-08-17, 16:52)blindndangerous Wrote: I do want to also mention one other thing. I think I've mentioned it before, but if you go into a text viewer, their is no way to stop speech once it starts reading until it's finished. Pressing F4 does not stop it, as well as pressing F12 to kill the addon. Not even restarting the screenreader will stop it. The only way it will stop is if it reaches the end of the document. So even if you change screens, it will ignore everything else until it's done reading the document. So you might not want to go reading changelogs unless you want to hear every single change everytime you go into one.

I'm not having this issue at all. A few questions:

What platform are you running on and what skin are you using?

Do F4 and F12 behave normally otherwise?

Thanks.
I'm using Confluence and on Windows 10, but this also happened on 7 and 8.1. All 64-bit. Yes, F4 and F12 work normally otherwise. I know it's doing something because if I press F6 from the home screen, I can see it change to the settings screen.
(2015-08-17, 18:33)blindndangerous Wrote: I'm using Confluence and on Windows 10, but this also happened on 7 and 8.1. All 64-bit. Yes, F4 and F12 work normally otherwise. I know it's doing something because if I press F6 from the home screen, I can see it change to the settings screen.

I duplicated your issue. It is specific to NVDA. I'll take a look and see about fixing it.
Information 
Added a new version to my repository and Kodi official repo: 1.0.3.

You can also get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Add Italian translation - thanks to falcon03
Hi! I would like to ask if you could look into the issue I mensioned a few posts ago?

When I bring up the movie information and navigate to the cast button, don't know how they are labeled in english because I run Kodi with the german language, a list of actors appears. In Kodi 14 the screen reader read the name of the actor and the role he played. Since Kodi 15 I can only hear the name of the actor. Is it possible to fix that?

It seams that the Kodi Screen Reader settings on my Kodi 15 installation is still in english. Isn't there a german translation? Its not a problem for me, but for others maybe. If you point me to the right direction, I could help with the german translation.

I am using Kodi with Ubuntu 15.04 and the eSpeak voices.

Regards!
RE: multiple soundcards
There used to be an option play sound on ttsd server, or something like that. I don't run openelec any more, but there used to be a way to start things automatically. If you run the ttsd actually on the rpi, or whatever your openelec runs on, tell kodi to use ttsd, then have the ttsd process play it, would this address some of the problems you have with playing on top of a video running? I too have found when media is playing speech just stops for some reason and you have to restart the mediacenter service (or kodi or whatever) to get normal playback again. This is annoying but not a show stopper. Maybe things have improved lately I don't know. I haven't played with it in a few months.

I'm also getting 503s on translate from google. When I tried the translate url in a browser I got a captcha (with only a visual captcha option) so couldn't bypass the restrictions. I have no idea what is violating google's AUP over here, I'll have to do some examination of all my machines to see what's going on. The ttsd is reporting 503S and then does not send to another speech engine, resulting in no speech. I read you have some priorities going on. Is it possible if one engine fails it can send to the next likely one until the first one returns? That way you can set ttsd backend to Google and it can try Espeak if Google fails. Sure you'll get a minimal delay when you try to get the google translate, but you will be able to get speech and not spend time trying to figure out what is broken if you're under a time crunch.
donkamillo - Sorry I seemed to have missed your post at some point. I also (Using English) don't seem to read some items like cast anymore. I think this is some changes in the newer Kodi skin. I don't know what is involved in doing a translation, Maybe falcon03 can chime in on that one, since he did the awesome Italian translation. Is it changing the skin? or something else involved?

Jhall - I don't think much has been done lately in the arena of Openelec. I just tried google server option and it was working well for me.

I am hoping to get a really good internet connection coming November. Once I do, One of the things I hope to explore is running a permanent speech server for you folks so we can eliminate google and such from the mix.

I know Ruuk is Really busy with current and some pretty neat projects, Hopefully he can chime in on these?

On side not, For anyone who is wondering. TTS is running with the 15.2 RC2 and windows 10 and works great.
(2015-08-17, 21:01)ruuk Wrote:
(2015-08-17, 18:33)blindndangerous Wrote: I'm using Confluence and on Windows 10, but this also happened on 7 and 8.1. All 64-bit. Yes, F4 and F12 work normally otherwise. I know it's doing something because if I press F6 from the home screen, I can see it change to the settings screen.

I duplicated your issue. It is specific to NVDA. I'll take a look and see about fixing it.
I looked at this a couple of weeks ago and started trying to fix it. Ran into some issues and haven't had any time since. I'll get to it hopefully soonish Smile
(2015-09-08, 11:02)donkamillo Wrote: Hi! I would like to ask if you could look into the issue I mensioned a few posts ago?

When I bring up the movie information and navigate to the cast button, don't know how they are labeled in english because I run Kodi with the german language, a list of actors appears. In Kodi 14 the screen reader read the name of the actor and the role he played. Since Kodi 15 I can only hear the name of the actor. Is it possible to fix that?

It seams that the Kodi Screen Reader settings on my Kodi 15 installation is still in english. Isn't there a german translation? Its not a problem for me, but for others maybe. If you point me to the right direction, I could help with the german translation.

I am using Kodi with Ubuntu 15.04 and the eSpeak voices.

Regards!
I should be able to fix the issue with actors. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can dedicate some time to cleaning up some stuff like this.
As for translations, there is a english language file in the addons resources folder under languages/English. Here's a link to the file on GitHub: https://github.com/ruuk/service.xbmc.tts...strings.po
Translating is just a matter of changing all the English strings identified with the msgid tag. What I really should do (now that the addon is in the official repo) is get this on Kodi's Transifex so it can get translated into many languages. I'll see if I can't make that happen soon.
(2015-09-26, 15:27)jhall Wrote: RE: multiple soundcards
There used to be an option play sound on ttsd server, or something like that. I don't run openelec any more, but there used to be a way to start things automatically. If you run the ttsd actually on the rpi, or whatever your openelec runs on, tell kodi to use ttsd, then have the ttsd process play it, would this address some of the problems you have with playing on top of a video running? I too have found when media is playing speech just stops for some reason and you have to restart the mediacenter service (or kodi or whatever) to get normal playback again. This is annoying but not a show stopper. Maybe things have improved lately I don't know. I haven't played with it in a few months.

I'm also getting 503s on translate from google. When I tried the translate url in a browser I got a captcha (with only a visual captcha option) so couldn't bypass the restrictions. I have no idea what is violating google's AUP over here, I'll have to do some examination of all my machines to see what's going on. The ttsd is reporting 503S and then does not send to another speech engine, resulting in no speech. I read you have some priorities going on. Is it possible if one engine fails it can send to the next likely one until the first one returns? That way you can set ttsd backend to Google and it can try Espeak if Google fails. Sure you'll get a minimal delay when you try to get the google translate, but you will be able to get speech and not spend time trying to figure out what is broken if you're under a time crunch.
There is the speech server. I doubt using it on the same machine would help anything, as that would just end up being a different path to the same thing.
It is possible to fallback to another speech engine. Currently the speech server engine does that. I could add that to Google as well. What it doesn't currently do is automatically switch back. That would be a bit more work to implement.
(2015-09-26, 17:11)Traker1001 Wrote: donkamillo - Sorry I seemed to have missed your post at some point. I also (Using English) don't seem to read some items like cast anymore. I think this is some changes in the newer Kodi skin. I don't know what is involved in doing a translation, Maybe falcon03 can chime in on that one, since he did the awesome Italian translation. Is it changing the skin? or something else involved?

Jhall - I don't think much has been done lately in the arena of Openelec. I just tried google server option and it was working well for me.

I am hoping to get a really good internet connection coming November. Once I do, One of the things I hope to explore is running a permanent speech server for you folks so we can eliminate google and such from the mix.

I know Ruuk is Really busy with current and some pretty neat projects, Hopefully he can chime in on these?

On side not, For anyone who is wondering. TTS is running with the 15.2 RC2 and windows 10 and works great.
I definitely need to get in and give the addon some love. Things look to be slowing down in the next couple of weeks for me, so that is in my plans.
That would be really great of you to to set up a server. Let me know if you need any help if/when you do that.

Thanks to everyone for being so understanding Smile
I found the file on my Kodi addons directory. I'll enter the germayn strings. What do I do with the file after I am finished?

Regards!
(2015-09-27, 19:32)donkamillo Wrote: I found the file on my Kodi addons directory. I'll enter the germayn strings. What do I do with the file after I am finished?

Regards!

If you just send it to me that would be fine. You could either use something like pastebin or, if you want, I'll PM you an email address you could send it to.
Just done! :-) I never used pastebin, so I don't know how to do that. I'll PM you a link so you can download it from my dropbox, if that is OK?

Regards!
I attempted to email you @ruuk but it the website wouldn't let me. I just barely hopped on the addon development train so bear with my novice level.

Is there anyway to use you TTS addon from other addons? For example, I'm working on an alarm clock of sorts which involves using lirc to turn on my tv, a tts engine saying w/e morning greeting I'd like, etc etc. I'm looking into the xbmc.executebuiltin but I'm not sure if that's how I should access your engine from my plugin. If worse comes to worse, whats the best way about merging your engine into my addon? (under your discretion of course).

Thanks!
echospot
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10