• 33(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
(2016-05-29, 19:14)trey27 Wrote: hi all, i'm trey from the uk i'm totally blind i'm running the latest version of mac OSX.

i'm having real trouble installing the kodi screen reeder, first i followed the instructions posted here:

http://www.applevis.com/apps/mac/enterta...ment-57370

at first i couldn't only find any repo files i only found this file "service.xbmc.tts-1.0.6.zip" (I have the latest version of kodi)

i copied that file to the adins folder when i opened kodi it bleeped then VO said really slowly "music five items" but when i navigated the window i could only see close minimise and zoom buttons.

Then I found this file "ruuk.addon.repository-1.0.0.zip"

I copied both files to the kodi add ins directory and got the same result i disscribed above.

does any one know what's going on?

your help with this problem would be most welcome kind regards trey.
Did you try navigating with the arrow keys? The addon doesn't provide traditional screen reading. It won't read what the mouse is over per se - it reads what controls are focused. This can work with the mouse, but Kodi usage is more suited to keyboard/remote button navigation.
hi, thanks for your reply.

I've now got it up and running ok Smile just a couple of questions firstly when you add files to the libary are they copied or moved or do they ramane in the same location they were in?

secondly i believe "black glass nova
" is out will the koi screen reeder work with it?

or should we not update till a new version of the koi screen reeder is released?

your help with these questions would be most welcome kind regards trey.
Saybro, I haven't forgotten to do a write up regarding the speech server. It has been bit of busy summer haven't had much time. Hopefully I can get a write up for you of how to install it for you here soon.
On another note, I am playing with the idea of creating a public server, however, there are a few unexpected hurdles I have to overcome.

Trey, When you add files to library, Nothing is done to the files. It just reads the names and ads the info to its database, possibly looks up IMDB and other info.
The only currently officially supported skin is confluence. Estuary which is the new skin for Krypton actually is very usable and I am hoping Ruuk might be able to iron out the few bugs that there are when it becomes official. unfortunately 3rd party skins will most likely never be supported as it would just be to much work to maintain said support. The only way I can see any of the 3rd party skins getting supported is if the skin developer were to develop it with the this addon in mind, unfortunately none do that.

Ruuk, With what I said above, I was wondering, is there any possible way that the add on could be made so that we create like a "Skins folder"? What I mean is, A file with the skin information in it that we could modify as needed to support various skins? Kind of like how languages are supported. This way if someone wants to go and support a specific skin, all they have to do is create there own associated file. I'm not sure if that would even be possible, but figured I'd ask.

As a side note, I am 3/4's on the way to sleep, so I won't be surprised if I come back in the morning and what I have typed makes absolutely no sense.
Traker1001 you guys do an outstanding job as it is, so I can understand time issues when it comes to writing such an extensive help doc.

Be honest, I've been using the Memic theme quite a bit for it allows so much flexibility in adding categories and sub categories to the home screen. If you guys are able to get this TTS server working with Android or iOS, I'll use a theme featuring Bugs bunny (Showing my age aren't I LOL) if it works best with your configuration.

Thanks to the KODI screen reader I'm experiencing a whole new world of entertainment through KODI that just wasn't available to me before. Owe that all to you guys. Thanks!

(2016-07-03, 05:48)Traker1001 Wrote: Saybro, I haven't forgotten to do a write up regarding the speech server. It has been bit of busy summer haven't had much time. Hopefully I can get a write up for you of how to install it for you here soon.
On another note, I am playing with the idea of creating a public server, however, there are a few unexpected hurdles I have to overcome.

Trey, When you add files to library, Nothing is done to the files. It just reads the names and ads the info to its database, possibly looks up IMDB and other info.
The only currently officially supported skin is confluence. Estuary which is the new skin for Krypton actually is very usable and I am hoping Ruuk might be able to iron out the few bugs that there are when it becomes official. unfortunately 3rd party skins will most likely never be supported as it would just be to much work to maintain said support. The only way I can see any of the 3rd party skins getting supported is if the skin developer were to develop it with the this addon in mind, unfortunately none do that.

Ruuk, With what I said above, I was wondering, is there any possible way that the add on could be made so that we create like a "Skins folder"? What I mean is, A file with the skin information in it that we could modify as needed to support various skins? Kind of like how languages are supported. This way if someone wants to go and support a specific skin, all they have to do is create there own associated file. I'm not sure if that would even be possible, but figured I'd ask.

As a side note, I am 3/4's on the way to sleep, so I won't be surprised if I come back in the morning and what I have typed makes absolutely no sense.
(2016-07-03, 05:48)Traker1001 Wrote: Ruuk, With what I said above, I was wondering, is there any possible way that the add on could be made so that we create like a "Skins folder"? What I mean is, A file with the skin information in it that we could modify as needed to support various skins? Kind of like how languages are supported. This way if someone wants to go and support a specific skin, all they have to do is create there own associated file. I'm not sure if that would even be possible, but figured I'd ask.

Not simply, but it is a good idea for something to look at adding when I get time to work on this again.
Hi Everyone,

so i'm completely new to Kodi, was really pleased when I came across this and found out there was a screen reader for Kodi. so I wanted to buy a raspberry pi to run Kodi from. Now i'm completely new to the raspberry PI to, and I see lots of people talking about what they use on the PI to run kodi from such as openelec , Jessie etc, for someone completely new to raspberry pi and kodi what would people recommend I use on the PI to run Kodi from? also do any of these have built in text to speech so I could set the whole thing up myself?

many thanks in advance for any help with this.

Paul
In my most recent experience, OSMC has been the best option. I currently use it on a Pi 3 and it works extremely smooth, In fact at the moment it is working better than some of my windows PC's.
Hi,

thanks for the reply and perfect timing to as my PI 3 has just arrived this morning so I will try OSMC, which text to speech program do you use with OSMC on your PI?

Paul

thanks for the rpely, my PI
Hi,

so just a quick update, put Osmc on the raspberry PI, and its all working brilliantly with Kodi and the Kodi screen reader. really impressed with both OSmc, Kodi and the Kodi screen reader, so thanks for the advise and to the people who created the Kodi screen reader. one quick question, before I added the Kodi screen reader I installed eSpeak on the PI first, did I need this on here for the Kodi screen reader to work/have speech or would just adding the kodi screen reader have given speech on the PI without me needing to install the eSpeak TTS?

Paul
You probably needed to install eSpeak first. The addon will try to use any available TTS it can find, but I doubt OSMC has one installed by default.
hi this is paul faucheux. I am running windows 10 version 1607. when ever I start version 16.1 of kodi the kodi screen reader addon does not load why is this happening I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the addon to no luck. I should also mension that I have the latest version 1.6 installed.
I'm sorry, it is really hard to say w/o more information. Could be any number of problems. Have you tried manually enabling the addon through the settings? If that fails, I would remove the addon, delete the "%appdata%\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\service.xbmc.tts" folder. Then re-install the addon from scratch.
As Kodi 17 (Krypton) gets nearer to release, it would be great to know from anyone already using betas or nightlies if they are having any issues so I can get a list together and take care of them as time allows. As the default skin, Estuary will be the main focus going forward, but I will continue to fix issues for Confluence.
Hi ruuk!

There are some problems with Confluence, but since I am using Kodi 16.1 I don't know if those apply to Confluence under Kodi 17. Also I have no knowledge if these problems occur with Estuary. But if someone could test that?

1. I enter Text with my remote. If I want to type a B, I have to press 2 twice. When ever I have to press a butten twice, a plong-sound occurs, like that sound when a notification window pops up at the lower right corner.

2. The same sound occurs when highlighting a selected list item. Like when editing movie sets, if the cursor comes to a selected movie set, the sound occurs and the TTS tries to speak the item, but seams to hang in a repeat loop. Don't know if I described that right.

3. When reading the cast of a movie, the screen reader reads only the first half of the item. So I open the movie details with my remote, activate the cast button and move one up. It should read "Daniel Craig as James Bond", but it only reads "Daniel Craig".

I don't know if there are more problems, but I have to say, those are the most annoying for me.

I don't want to install LibreELEC beta at the moment. I have little time to test and try. Maybe in a few weeks. But if someone already has Kodi 17 installed could try that with Estuary?

Regards!
Hello Ruuk, It has been a while, I am glad to hear from you. I hope you are doing well and your other projects are going good.

We are using 17 Beta at the moment. We haven't had a whole lot of problems, with either 17 or 16. However, With 17 We ended up going back to confluence skin, and haven't tried the new skin much at all since Alpha releases. From what I did try there where really only a few issues. We'll go through it again, and put together a list, Although I doubt there will much. Smile

For Donkamillo's bugs,
I can't really say anything about the first two as we haven't used a remote in a while, I kinda miss the remote but just haven't gotten around to setting em back up. And 2, We haven't tried to edit any movies sets, so can't help on that one either. I can verify we see number 3 on 16 and 17, skin doesn't seem to matter.
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10