• 34(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
Hi Traker1001! The movie sets were just an example. If you highlight a selected item, for example movie sets, skip steps, selected audio device, what ever, this behaviour occurs. For me it happens mostly with the movie set editor, that's why I named that example.

I have LibreELEC installed on an Intel Nuc. I don't need to enter text very often, so I don't have a keyboard connected to the Nuc. Only if I search for a movie or edit a movie title, I enter text with the remote. It just takes a bit longer to do that, because I have to wait until the screen reader speaks the text I entered. Also when I delete a character that sound occurs. I have no idea what the popup in the lower right corner sais because it is gone to fast. My sight would be good enough to read it if that popup would stay a little longer... :-(

None of those bugs are critical, but it would make the usage of Kodi much nicer if they were fixed. :-)

Regards!
Hi!

I'm using LibreELEC 7.0.2 with Kodi 16.1. I have a little issue, nothing major, just an inconvenience. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction to solve it?

As long as I use Kodi with the screen reader I set it up the same way. Music and video output goes through HDMI to my AV-Receiver and speech goes through aplay directly to a pair of small speakers connected to the analog output. This worked perfectly until LibreELEC.

Well, it still works, but there is a problem now: When I press a remote button before the speech is done, nothing is spoken. For example if I press down to move to the next movie, the name of the movie will not be spoken. After that, pressing again the down button, the next movie name will be spoken. But when I wait until speech is done, everything is good. This happens in all areas of Kodi. When ever I press a key before the speech is done, the next element, entered character or whatever will not be spoken.

This happens also if a keyboard is connected to the device. Oh, and speaking of the device: LibreELEC is installed on an Intel Nuc 5CPYH.

This happens only if I select aplay within the screen reader settings. When I select XBMC PlaySFX everything works just as expected. But that has some disadvantages, like no speech during playback.

Until OpenELEC 6.0.3 this was never a problem. I don't know all changes made to LibreELEC, so I don't know, where to start. However, my guess would be that something about ALSA may have changed. And if so, is there a way to do something about it?

For now I use the XBMC PlaySFX player. Is there some other player for LibreELEC I could try? I can live with the current situation, but it would be nice to have the screen reader speak through the speakers again.

Sometimes I hate my english! :-( I watch movies and tv shows mostly with the english audio track, and I believe that I understand almost all of it. But when it comes to say or write something myself, it sounds just wrong... So I hope I described the issue in a way that at least some of you could understand... :-(

Regards!
(2016-09-18, 10:09)ruuk Wrote: As Kodi 17 (Krypton) gets nearer to release, it would be great to know from anyone already using betas or nightlies if they are having any issues so I can get a list together and take care of them as time allows.

Well, I've tried running Kodi 17 Beta 2 on Mac OS 10.12 and the experience hasn't been so good. Sad

First I tried updating my existing installation and as soon as the screen reader had started Kodi crashed, not even having the time to write the debug log. Then I tried doing a clean install, but after the usual installation of the addon the screen reader was not enabled. Is there any other way to enable it? The F12 key didn't work either.
(2016-09-28, 15:45)donkamillo Wrote: Hi!

I'm using LibreELEC 7.0.2 with Kodi 16.1. I have a little issue, nothing major, just an inconvenience. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction to solve it?

As long as I use Kodi with the screen reader I set it up the same way. Music and video output goes through HDMI to my AV-Receiver and speech goes through aplay directly to a pair of small speakers connected to the analog output. This worked perfectly until LibreELEC.

Well, it still works, but there is a problem now: When I press a remote button before the speech is done, nothing is spoken. For example if I press down to move to the next movie, the name of the movie will not be spoken. After that, pressing again the down button, the next movie name will be spoken. But when I wait until speech is done, everything is good. This happens in all areas of Kodi. When ever I press a key before the speech is done, the next element, entered character or whatever will not be spoken.

This happens also if a keyboard is connected to the device. Oh, and speaking of the device: LibreELEC is installed on an Intel Nuc 5CPYH.

This happens only if I select aplay within the screen reader settings. When I select XBMC PlaySFX everything works just as expected. But that has some disadvantages, like no speech during playback.

Until OpenELEC 6.0.3 this was never a problem. I don't know all changes made to LibreELEC, so I don't know, where to start. However, my guess would be that something about ALSA may have changed. And if so, is there a way to do something about it?

For now I use the XBMC PlaySFX player. Is there some other player for LibreELEC I could try? I can live with the current situation, but it would be nice to have the screen reader speak through the speakers again.
Your guesses sound good. LibreELEC is just enough OS to run Kodi. Technically speaking, neither eSpeak nor aplay are required for Kodi, though aplay is a part of ALSA so we get it for 'free' basically. eSpeak was added to OpenELEC because of a user request related to the Screen Reader addon. I guess my point is that we're lucky to have even this Smile
When I get a chance I'll check it out, but right now I don't have a clue as to what it could be.
(2016-09-28, 15:45)donkamillo Wrote: Sometimes I hate my english! :-( I watch movies and tv shows mostly with the english audio track, and I believe that I understand almost all of it. But when it comes to say or write something myself, it sounds just wrong... So I hope I described the issue in a way that at least some of you could understand... :-(
I honestly didn't know you were not naturally English speaking.
(2016-09-29, 14:15)falcon03 Wrote: Well, I've tried running Kodi 17 Beta 2 on Mac OS 10.12 and the experience hasn't been so good. Sad

First I tried updating my existing installation and as soon as the screen reader had started Kodi crashed, not even having the time to write the debug log. Then I tried doing a clean install, but after the usual installation of the addon the screen reader was not enabled. Is there any other way to enable it? The F12 key didn't work either.
Sorry to hear that. When this addon was initially developed I didn't have access to a Mac, so my ability to test was limited. I have a Mac I can use now, but I'm extremely busy right now, so I can't promise I'll get to anything in a decent time-frame, but doing some Mac testing/fixing on my list of things to do.

But I do have a couple of questions.
Were you previously running on Kodi 16 without issue, or is this your first experience with the add-on?
What specifically do you mean by doing a clean install?
Hi Ruuk!

Normally I build my systems myself. I used ION boards and installed Ubuntu, but those were never really silent or consumed too much power. So I tried the Raspi, but that didn't worked out for me as well. Now I have a Intel Nuc, but I couldn't get Kodi to work. It always get stuck in some kind of restart loop. Not the hole system, just Kodi. So I was frustrated and tried OpenElec, and that worked OK. That was almost a year ago. Maybe I'll try to install Ubuntu and Kodi again.

English to german is not the problem. But when I say or write something myself in english and read that back with my screen reader, it just sounds wrong. :-) That's why I'm never sure if what I wanted to say is actually what I did write... :-)

Regards.
Hi Ruuk,

I'm actually running Kodi 16.1 without any issue on the same machine, it's playing a PVR stream in the background while writing this message! Wink

By doing a clean install i mean that I deleted *every* supporting file created by Kodi before reinstalling it.
@ruuk, any update on the crash on Mac OS with Kodi 17? It still happens with the third Kodi 17 beta release.

By looking at the logs I can guess there's a problem after the OSXSay backend is started. In fact the last message that gets logged is the one that informs that the OSXSay backend has been started successfully.
(2016-10-20, 14:22)falcon03 Wrote: @ruuk, any update on the crash on Mac OS with Kodi 17? It still happens with the third Kodi 17 beta release.

By looking at the logs I can guess there's a problem after the OSXSay backend is started. In fact the last message that gets logged is the one that informs that the OSXSay backend has been started successfully.

Sorry for the late reply.
I haven't looked at it yet, but it's on my to do list. I hope to get to it soon.
Hello,
I have a serious problem on Windows 10 and Kodi, with Kodi screen reader enabled; Kodi screen reader is properly enabled, and it does not talk at all.
I followed this procedure:
1. install Kodi 16.1 Jarvis
2. opened Kodi, and then closed it
3. install the setup kodi screen reader .exe file
The Kodi stays silent.
I also tried uninstalling, and then re-installing it thanks to a sighted person helping me, with the manual procedure - system -> addons -> install from repository -> services -> kodi screen reader... but nothing happens.
Nothing changes also copying the screen reader's directories into the addons directory manually -the one indicated by kodi wiki-.
Then I went to configure's engine -> default synthesizer.
Expected results: pressing the Enter key, on "default synthesizer" should bring up a list with already installed and working synths.
Actual result: "default synthesizers" window, brings me nothing up.
I have Windows 10 home, anniversary update, with synthesizer and kodi set to Italian (problem persists also with English set)
Please let me know!
I was consistently having issues with windows 10 updates breaking Kodi and TTS, So sadly I was forced to go back to 7 for now.
When you uninstalled it, Did you remove the user data service.xbmc.tts folder before you re-installed it? I found many times when I repaired it, removing the Userdata folder was required.

@ruuk, I haven't been having problems getting the Latest betas to work stably for me. I haven't not been able to come back with info on whats broken with the latest skin and TTS. I hope when I can get this working you'll be able to find bit of extra time to get things working for the new skin. As always, We greatly appreciate the time you take to help us out.
Hello, no, I did not remove user data folder.
I can't go back to windows7, as my pc was born with Windows 10, and I must use it with that system for other reasons. I hope Ruuk is still involved in the Screen reader project, I am really worried if the project would be dismissed
The project is not abandoned, I have just been extraordinarily busy this last year. I've done work on it recently and hope to be able to finish that in the next few weeks.
@talksina, give that a try let us know. I understand, I was just pointing out that for some reason my experiences seem to be that MS wanted to break things constantly regarding Kodi, 10, and updates. Even 7 has it's issues, but is more stable for me. Actually on some of my pc's and systems I have set up for others I have gone Linux based and that has been rock solid.

Ruuk is an Awesome developer, he makes many other really great addons and does a lot for the Kodi Community along with other project outside, So he is really busy. He has always been available and fixed thing quickly when it counts. Project is is no where close to dismissed, Just nothing pressing to be done at the very moment. Smile Ruuk, Hope you didn't mind me chiming in. Smile
Hello all,
I really need to be better about checking the kodi forums. Anyway, just wanted to let Ruuk know that I'm running the latest beta of 17, and all is working fine here. I'm also on windows10 64. Only thing I changed is to change my skin back to confluence as I'm used to thhat skin over the new one. Guess this was a good thing since the addon isn't working well with the new skin? I think my only suggestions to you would be if you can make it to read the error messages that come up on the bottom right corner if possible, (when kodi makes a sound) and if at all possible to read the setting headings for the screen where you can add your addons to the home screen. Under the skin section of settings is an addons screen. In here, you can set addons to be displayed on your home screen instead of having to go to say home>videos>video addons>addon name. Just makes things look neat with the shortcuts right on the home screen. Kodi screenreader can't read the section titles though, so you have to guess which is which. I figured out that after lyrics addon is videos, and so on, but if possible, it'd be nice if it could read them out. Also, any luck with the web browser? I thought a while back you'd said you had wanted to work on that, but wasn't sure if you'd gotten a chance to take a look at it. Keep up the awesome work, we all really appreciate it. Now if we could just get other devs to come to this thread to see your work and make some of their addons work better with your addon.
I'm posting here to follow-up on a couple of requests that LibreELEC received to embed the TTS add-on in our default image. That's not going to happen as we're in a constant fight to avoid "the death of a thousand cuts" from less-used features and keep our image sizes down. However, LE is quite simple to self-build with modifications and if there is technically minded person among TTS users who would like to create/publish a modified image we'd be very happy to support the effort with a dedicated support area in the community builds section in our forum and webspace to help with publishing the tweaked images. I'd also welcome feedback on current TTS behaviour/performance on current LE alpha builds (not Jarvis, development moved on from Jarvis) because if there are improvements or nip/tuck changes we can perform that make things easier .. we'd like to know.
  • 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10