DirectX Runtime Installer Problems
Hi All.

I just tried the installation of the most recent Windows nightly (XBMCSetup-20140602-686ffc8-master) on a freshly installed Windows 8.1 OS and received the following error:

'The program can't start because d3dx9_43.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling to fix the problem.'

I tried installing a few additional nighties prior (XBMCSetup-20140601-484ce80-master.exe and XBMCSetup-20140531-830565d-master.exe) with the same result.

No issues were experienced trying to install the older nightly XBMCSetup-20140526-34dfc7c-master, which is prior to commit #3511 ([WIN32] make XBMC compile with vs2013).

The installation of 20140602-686ffc8-master over 20140526-34dfc7c-master subsequently succeeds.

There may be an issue with the DirectX Runtime Installer post commit #3511.

Let me know if you need more information.
Have you actually run the DirectX installer? (done full XBMC install without disabling the option)
Don't have Win8.1 here so can't test that. I know there are now some issue with Runtime installers. DirectX should not be affected.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Hi Martijn.

All installations were done simply using the default installer components. Nothing was changed, all I did was click on next...
strange.
will need to get a VM running with 8.1 to reproduce and find a solution

HI there,

Just to confirm, I've just done a fresh 8.1 install and have replicated this error using all default settings.
Had same issue today: windows 8.1 fully updated as of today

Ok so when I tried to install Kodi (download kodi-14.0-Helix_rc3) during the install the directx radio button was grayed out. Didnt think anything of it and went ahead with the install. Install failed with an error that the directx runtime didnt install. When trying to run Kodi I get an error about directx 9c not installed. Tried installing that and of course get an error about incompatible OS.

So.. I found this download labeled "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" the install took several minutes. During which it states its installing runtimes from 2006,2007,2008...

After install the web installer I tried the Kodi (download kodi-14.0-Helix_rc3) again. this time the directx was not grayed out and I could deselect it if I wanted. I didnt and continued with the install.

Install when through without a hitch and I then ran Kodi with no issues.

Note: I didn't try any features/settings within Kodi, just started it to confirm that it runs then closed.
Heart 
vikk,
i don't think it is a good idea to install directx v9 over the pre-installed directx v11...
Windows 8.1 comes with Directx as part of windows update; which is the only place where you should install directx from. see following link from Microsoft:
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113/

also, To use the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to determine the version of DirectX that is installed on your computer, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type dxdiag, and then click OK.
On the System tab, note the version of DirectX that is displayed on the DirectX Version line.
On the various tabs, check the version information for each DirectX file.
When you are finished checking file versions, click Exit.
If Windows cannot find the dxdiag program, DirectX version 5.0 or an earlier version of DirectX is installed on your computer. If this is the case, download and install the latest version of DirectX.

Microsoft also said that you can install the older version to satisfy some older application to run, I wonder why KODI did not adopt to the newer versions of directx that are pre-installed with windows 8.1

martijn,
any update regarding this issue?
Nope. No update. xbmc's directx implementation is based on Version 9. After helix a rewrite will begin to use version 11. For the time being - use Windows 7 (no kidding).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I think we should drop the current DirectX installer we ship and use the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer". This makes the binary smaller and always up-to-date. Downside is that you always need to have an internet connection on first install. Given that it of course always install the DLLs we require.

I'm even considering doing this for Helix as it doesn't touch core code at all and only the installer part. I know some one (can't remember who) was against this idea two years ago because it would always force some one to be "online". However in this day and age it's almost unimaginable that you are not connected.
(2014-12-17, 08:17)Ash2015 Wrote: vikk,
i don't think it is a good idea to install directx v9 over the pre-installed directx v11...
Windows 8.1 comes with Directx as part of windows update; which is the only place where you should install directx from.

Seems to be a common issue with older games that were built against the DirectX9 API. MS took to creating new dll files and giving these version numbers so that games could request specific versions to ensure compatibility. Win Vista/7/8 include the DirectX9 API as a part of the overall DirectX10/11/11.1 "system" but I think in some cases older versions of the dlls aren't always included and you have to run DXSETUP in order to pull in those older Dx 9.0c dlls.

I'm wondering if some of these installer errors are UAC related?

scott s.
This reasons behind this error message is that d3dx9_43.dll file is missing. You can download the file from here - http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/...x?id=34429

Or you can follow the methods mentioned here - How to Fix d3dx9_43.dll Missing Error in Windows 7,8,8.1 and 10 to fix problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DirectX Runtime Installer Problems0