Android Unknown tv box, cannot get past reset/install
Sad 
Hi,

Total newbie here. Because Im a software engineer, I've been lumbered with the task of helping a family member out with their tv box.

When I was round their house, XMBC was loading up ok, but dozens of scripts errors everywhere (they had installed some bad addons I guess).
I agreed to take it home and reinstall it.

Back home, I plugged the tv box into my tv, but it was just hanging on the XMBC Loading screen.
I unplugged power for 10 secs and tried again, but no dice. Using toothpick reset, I cleared cache partition, but that didn't help either.

Finally I did a full erase and factory reset.
This did allow me to get past XBMC Loading screen, but now I cannot complete the install procedure.

It uses some AMLinux install gui (maybe thats normal?), when I try to get past the stage where you set the hostname..

As soon as I hit next, all the text in the dialog disappears, leaving just the Next button. Clicking on Next more times does nothing, and I've left it for 20 mins incase it was doing something in the background.

Im stuck at this stage and cannot proceed, even after factory resetting half a dozen times. Ive tried using a different hostname, and just accepting the default, but its no use.

Finally, since I really know nothing about this device, I have no idea where I would get some new firmware, or even whats compatible with it. I know right now its running XBMC Frodo 12.3

From what I understand these MX boxes are just generic, from different manufacturers a with different hardware.
Unfortunately apart from the MX logo on the device, mine has no manufacturer branding at all

Here's some pics of the device and the box

Any advice really appreciated

Thanks!

hi have you tried this it worked for me

XBMC Re-Install Instructions

First we need to Reset the Unit.
1. Go to the screen with all the apps
2. Press Setup on your remote
3. Scroll to Backup & Reset
4. Click Factory Data Reset
5. Make sure no sd cards or usb sticks are plugged into box
6. Click Reset Media Box
7. Click Erase Everything
8. Wait for box to reboot and give you the Welcome Wizard again.

You need to download XBMC
9. On your media player go to browser in apps
9a. Press the cursor key (bottom right bottom remote control) type the following link: http://xbmc.org/download/
10. Once here click on the android logo and your download will begin

Installing XBMC
11. Goto Downloads in Apps
12. Double click XBMC (This will install XBMC to your unit)

XBMC
13. On the screen with all the apps now click on XBMC (Takes 30 seconds)
14. Scroll to System and click on it
15. Scroll to System tab and click on it
16. Scroll to Input Devices and click on it.
17. Make sure Remote Control sends keyboard presses is highlighted.
18. Now press menu until you are back at the main XBMC menu

MOD EDIT: no "HUB" stuff...
Thanks but I don't see how I can perform any of these steps

My problem is I cannot get past the initial AMLinux setup after a factory reset

Even when it was booted round my friends house, it never booted into a typical Android interface as such. It just loaded up straight into the blue XBMC with the horizontal band
Muffin's instructions are clearly for a reinstall of Android, which wouldn't help you much if you're trying to install Linux.

From your description, the setup is crashing after you attempt to set the hostname of your device. So that definitely sounds like a networking problem. I'm not familiar with the AMLinux software, and I don't have a dual core box that will run it, so I can't attempt the install myself here, but I would recommend you talk to whomever the developer is who wrote this build. Also, check your router settings to confirm whether or not your network "sees" this device. You might be trying to establish a hostname on a network that doesn't exist, and that would certainly send the AMLinux into some sort of crash, trying to solve that error.

As far as the XBMC Hub stuff goes... that has nothing whatsoever to do with hardware issues. You have to complete the hardware setup before you can even think of installing that. Also, XBMC Hub (and their competition Xunity) are things that XBMC.org really doesn't like being discussed on this board, due to the content of some of the addons avilable from those software developers.
Hi
I have a problem with my box , suddenly the box stop working , I reset the box to factory reset , after reset the box didn't get to the main menu , I have a blank screen on TV
What I have to do to get the main menu
Thank you .
Hi
After I reset the Bmxc . From av. I can't get back to main menu
Only I get blank picture
I tried to reset again ,. I got the highlight blue & android lay down with triangle Red ! & mark
How can I get back main menue please
Thank you

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unknown tv box, cannot get past reset/install0