Gotham - Crashes when Downloading Subtitles
Exclamation 
The situation regarding the ATV2 unstability on Gotham needs some specific threads because there are still some big issues unsolved. Almost leaves the ATV2 useless for XBMC....

Please keep this thread on topic so it is not closed!

Anybody experiences Crashes during subtitle download, please have debug turned on and upload Debug.log + Crash.log via Pastebin.com or Xbmclogs.com and linked here so it can be investigated further. The issue seems to be RAM limitation on the ATV2 or a new introduced conflict with iOS itself. So far it seems like the crash happens outside of the XBMC scope, i.e. iOS itself crashes...

I run Gotham 13.01 and Apple TV Software version 5.2 (6010.96)

Hope we can solve this together Smile
The Real Skimshady
Thank you bthusby for making this thread! I hope no one took the closing of the thread in the wrong way, but isolating the issues into different threads will be a lot more effective, hopefully leading to a fix or at least a better understanding of what is going on.
I am have this issue too. Downloading subtitles crashes my appletv2. That is why i am on frodo. It is not stable enough. I don not understand why the people test before release?!
I don't understand why people don't think before ranting ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I've had alot of issues with Gotham crashing my atv2 as well. I just downgraded to 12.3 Frodo. Is there a documented bug with 13.0.1 Gotham and hd video playback on the atv2?
HI, I have the same problem. It's a first posting logs for me, so I don't know if I'm doing this right, but my latestcrash file is found here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=222626
In a non iOS thread (can't find the link at the moment...) there was discussion about how there might be a memory leak with subtitles. It's being looked into and might be related to this situation, though I honestly don't know that for sure. There is hope, though ;)
At last some good news Smile

As I have mentioned before it seems like it crashes very easy on video playback sometimes / some days, and other days it plays quite stable. Good and bad days Tongue Does that make sense, or give any clues to the cause to why it crashes?

Subtitles I have given up for now until a fix comes, because it's a sure way to instantly crash my ATV2!

I am now on Gotham version 13.1 and the situation is basically the same...
The Real Skimshady
Frodo 12.3 works great for me for now.. I will upgrade to gotham again once I know this issue is totally resolved.
ATV2 had been unusable for me. Crashing all over the place. I had gone through most of the betas, rc's, releases up until 13.1. At that point I removed all traces of xbmc from the system and installed 13.0 from scratch. I imported my libraries (quite large) from another machine and have done little or no scraping since. My video playback (almost all h264/mkv 720p) has been quite stable. Downloading subtitles crashes about 1 in 4 attempts and never twice in a row. So, for me, xbmc is still usable on the atv2. It's my only media centre at the moment and I use it a lot.

Sorry, I know that this is not helping the devs fix the problem. When I get time and space, I'll upgrade to 13.1 and go back to generating and posting logs. Not that I was very successful at doing it last time I tried. Thanks to the devs for keeping this thing going.
Same issue here. Ever since upgrading to Gotham 13.1 my ATV2 crashes back to iOS frequently upon playback of network video (I upgraded directly to 13.1 with a fresh apt-get install). Sometimes this happens within 1 second of starting and sometimes I get 20-30 seconds before crashing. Sometimes my ATV2 crashes when I'm just browsing through menus though much less frequently. I don't seem to have any issues playing streaming video from various services.

My error log is available here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=225877

Will wait a few weeks and hope for a fix... otherwise I suppose it is spend 3-4 hours reinstalling Frodo.
(2014-06-14, 03:56)edgardoalfonzo Wrote: Same issue here. Ever since upgrading to Gotham 13.1 my ATV2 crashes back to iOS frequently upon playback of network video (I upgraded directly to 13.1 with a fresh apt-get install). Sometimes this happens within 1 second of starting and sometimes I get 20-30 seconds before crashing. Sometimes my ATV2 crashes when I'm just browsing through menus though much less frequently. I don't seem to have any issues playing streaming video from various services.

My error log is available here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=225877

Will wait a few weeks and hope for a fix... otherwise I suppose it is spend 3-4 hours reinstalling Frodo.

This thread is specifically for crashes that seem to involve subtitles/downloading subtitles. This isn't a catch-all thread for all ATV2/Gotham crashes. We had to close a thread because people dumped all their issues into one thread and we couldn't keep track of them. Please make a different thread if you are having crashes such as those when just browsing through menus, and not related to downloading subtitles.
I intended this thread for both issues, because they both seems to be related. Basically unstability due to the system getting "overwhelmed"...

But maybe we should split the thread then, if you prefer, Ned?

The BIGGEST problem is crashing during video playback, and especially while starting the videostream!
The Real Skimshady
Same here.. I have noticed crash occurs more often when I don't give "space" to the xbmc too work slower.
Example. Start video, then immediately go to subtitle downloader and the crash occurs. When I leave the video to play for 10-20 seconds, then crashing occurs very rarely. Hope this gives you some guide of where to search for the problem.
I can offer another observation regarding "Subtitle crash". It is not while Searching for subtitles it crashes, but at the end of the subtitle Downloading, i.e. after downloading for a long while...
The Real Skimshady

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham - Crashes when Downloading Subtitles2