Gotham - Crashes when Downloading Subtitles
I think I've solved my problem. I have a synology NAS. It has antivirus on it.

Initially I turned it off and the problem immediately went away. Turned it back on and crashes.

I've tweaked the antivirus settings to only scan certain folders and files....and it looks like it's still working.

Must say I'm very much enjoying the speed increase of Gotham. Navigation and fast forwarding seems a lot smoother Smile
Hmmm...
I'm Synology NAS also but I dont have any antivirus fired up, I never had.
Can you please write down the steps you take to turn off/edit the antivirus setting?

Thanks,
Gorast
I had an older Synology NAS before 110j which always gave me hangups. The new dual-bay Synology 215+ works like a charm. Could be throughput or resource limitations if you are on a weaker NAS... Anti-Virus I can imagine puts a lot of pressure on the NAS, the same with many concurrent downloads, i.e. torrents and NZB Smile
The Real Skimshady
For those having crashes, can you double check settings under XBMC -> Settings -> Video -> File lists

Make sure "Extract thumbnails and video information" is deselected, even if you've done this in the past.

The other day I noticed it somehow got switched back on my ATV2 and then it started crashing like mad.
@ Ned Scott... is this maybay the solution of the crashes with subtitles ?
I think most of the ATV2 crashes are due to low memory, and when subtitles are being downloaded then that's going to use memory as well, so it could be that it's subs+something else like thumbnail extraction. While thumbnail extraction and subs downloading shouldn't happen at the same time, it would still be good to rule this out.
Im running xmbc openelec on Raspberry Pi and this has started happening just in the last week.
Used to work fine, download subtitles and they'd play but now downloads the subtitles, plays with subtitles for about 10sec then the video crashes Sad

Edit: I just noticed that if I play a video from an attached USB drive, ie not over wifi, I can download and play subtitles no problem. If I try over wifi, it crashes everytime but plays fine without subs.
@ Ned Scott... I tried this one.. no succes.

1. I click download (subtitles) it take too long to find any results.
2. if it finds downloading even long
3. finaly it crash.

For me it is game over...I downgrade to 12.3 frodo...
I must say that my ATV2 works really acceptable now. I'm on the Quartz skin, Gotham 3.1, using NFS to stream from a good Synology NAS. Still the occasional crash (maybe once a week now Big Grin ) either during video playback or when downloading subtitles.

So I'm a living example of that the ATV2 is capable, although a bit slow and the occasional hick-up!
The Real Skimshady
I am using the Quartz skin now and it seems like the problem with the subs is gone. At least for now.
I changed the default location of where the sub downloads to, so that it's stored on the XD local drive rather than in the folder with the video (which for me is a network location).
Since then, it hasn't crashed.
(2014-07-22, 12:14)Thakoer Wrote: @ Ned Scott... I tried this one.. no succes.

1. I click download (subtitles) it take too long to find any results.
2. if it finds downloading even long
3. finaly it crash.

For me it is game over...I downgrade to 12.3 frodo...
Same here. Isn't solved in 13.2 rc1. Also tried Ned Scott tip.

Looks like:

1. ATV2 => XMBC does not have write access to movie directory (afp://path-to-movies/<actual-movie>/...) where it wants to put the subtitle

or:

2. It takes to long for XBMC to connect to afp://path-to-movies/... I noticed when I change the "subtitle storage location" via:

system => settings => video => subtitles => custom subtile folder

it takes a couple of minutes before XBMC actually connects to the afp:// that I select. For about 2 minutes XBMC becomes unresponsive.

What if the same happens when you actually download the subtitle? XBMC trying to setup a new connection to afp:// that times out?

-edit-

When I use afp://path-to-movies/ as custom subtitle folder the subtitle is actually downloaded to that directory. However, movie (or tv show) will crash after download when it starts playing.

When I use the "Next to video" option (default) the subtitle is not downloaded at all.

-EDIT 2-
Found the problem. In my case the atv2 user only had read/write access to afp://path-to-movies/ and not to afp://path-to-movies/<actual-movie>/... Had to change the share settings to include sub folders and I'm now able to download subtitles to afp://path-to-movies/<actual-movie>/ and play movies & tv shows. :-)

About a month ago I migrated all my data from MackBook Old to MackBook New. Guess something went wrong with my shares during that process....
I also had the subtitles > crash problem. I updated to 14.0 alpha 2 and i have no problems anymore.
Hi all, i have the same problem on my aptv2....any sugestion?
For the record, I am having regular crashes at end of downloading subs on my atv2 (with amber skin) as well and also: subs are very slow at downloading (which has been reported in here too I think)

Is it true that 14.0 alphas solve the issue? How stable are the alphas in other respects? I don't want to swap one problem for a bunch of others Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham - Crashes when Downloading Subtitles2