Freescale iMX6 XBMC box on Indiegogo
Hello

Further to my posts on the forum here EzeeCube is now available for pre-order on Indiegogo, It comes with XBMC pre-installed and pre-configured, supports stackable accessories that requires no setup or driver installation, sync photos, videos and contacts into XBMC from iOS and Android devices and can playback content on iOS/Android app via UPnP

It runs on Freescaled iMX6 Dualcore CPU, 1TB HDD, 1GB DDR3 RAM, 4GB Flash memory, WiFi, Bluetooth and Gigabit LAN port.

Please find more details at below link

http://igg.me/at/modular-media-hub-stack.../x/5451875

Big thank you to XBMC team, fans and users for their valuable feedback in making this community project happen so far, please continue your support to take this into production.

Regards
aeropriest
179$ Huh too much (even if with 1TB of hd)
no more then 129$ without HD for me

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen author
While I certainly applaud any and all efforts to create nice, livingroom friendly, XBMC capable boxes... especially ones that have any sort of sATA interface (which are not that plentiful, yet), and while I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, there are a few things about the online description of this box that, unfortunately, I have to say, are troubling.

1) Price. The online description says "...expected retail price of $299". Somebody on the development team for this thing needs to hop on over the Newegg and look at the various barebones/booksized systems that are already on sale there today (not five months from now). I'm seeing at least three systems available there today (Foxconn, Zotac, and Intel NUC) each for under $140. Granted, to each of those one would need to add at least some memory (e.g. 2GB)... perhaps for another $30... and then (to match this new box) a 1TB 2.5" drive, but those can be had for 60. So, for maybe $230 you can get a box with basically the same functionality today for perhaps $230, with the advantage that you get more USB ports (and 3.0 ports in the case of the Foxconn). For the alternatives I've mentioned, you also would have to add a USB wirless dongle (in order to match the EzeeCube), but that's also going to set you back less than $20, so we are still only up to $250. Admittedly, for all this the user doesn't get the EzeeCube fancy schmancy stacking feature, but I'm not convinced that this is quite such a selling point as the developers seem to think it is.

2) Availability. I've already stressed this above. Other options are available right now... not November. By November or December this new box may perhaps be shipping in volume, but by then the prices of these other boxes may have come down further also.

3) Hard drive replace-ability. The online description of EzeeCube says "EzeeCube is just like any other appliance in your home, it would last as long as its not destroyed by act of God or is physically damaged by force." No, I'm not making this up! Anyway, that is quite obviously absurd, and is arguably false advertising... if we make the seemingly reasonable assumption that the 1TB drive that will ship with this thing is in fact spinning media, and not an SSD. If it spins, it will die, most probably within 2-5 years, and not due to any special act of God. So what does the owner of the EzeeCube do then? Will there be screws on the outside of the case, covered with little stickers that say "Breaking this seal voids your warranty. No user-servicable components inside." ? In fact, a hard drive, pre-installed and shipped with this thing ought to be an option, not something that the vendor is choosing for me. They are undoubetedly going to ship this with a WD Blue or equivalent, i.e. the dirt cheapest 1TB drive. I personally never purchase such drives. I perfer the 5-year-warranty WD Black drives, thank you very much. Spending money on a drive (e.g. WD Blue) which even the manufacturer expects to die in 2-3 years is a false economy in my view.

4) No IR receiver. What the bleep am I supposed to do with this EzeeCube thing if my TV's CEC isn't working, or if I just want to use the box to listen to music through my A/V Receiver without firing up my power-hungry big screen plasma? They should have put an IR receiver on the front of the thing. Failure to do so was a colossal mistake IMHO. (And I mean seriously... geeezzz. How much additional would that have cost in volume production? An extra $0.25 per unit?)

5) Port placement. The SD card slot and the full-sized USB port should have been placed on the front of the box. With these in back, I'm going to have to reach into my A/V cabinent and drag this thing all the way out (so that I can get at the SD slot) every time I want to look at any photos or videos from my digital camera. Dumb. Likewise, if somebody at work gives me a copy of their home movies on a USB stick...

P.S. My apologies if I seem overly kvetchy about this new box. Like I said, I applaud all such efforts, and the time, skill, patience and courage of all those who undertake to build such things. But I'm a perfectionist, and I'm patiently waiting and hoping that someday in the not-too-distant future somebody will build the ideal XBMC box. I've spent some time thinking about what that would look like exactly, and it would look a lot like this new EzeeCube box except that the front of the thing would have four things that this box doesn't have (on the front), i.e. (1) an IR receiver, and (2) an SD card slot, and (3) a single USB "A" socket, and last but quite definitely not least (4) a flap/door where one could easly insert one's choice of 2.5" sATA drive... sort of vaguely like the one on this item:

http://kingwin.com/products/cate/mobile/...252_bk.asp

but just for a 2.5" drive... not for a 3.5" drive like the above item.

I really do hope that someday somebody will build something like that... and then sell it at a competitive price point.

P.P.S. One last thing... The alternatives that are available right now and that cost less than than this EzeeCube is projected to retail for give you one other advantage that may or may not come in handy someday, i.e. x86 compatability. Maybe that will ultimately be worth nothing in the context of a dedicated XBMC box, but I'd rather have it than not have it, particularly if I can get it for free, or as actually seems to be the case currently, if I can actually save money by choosing x86 over the available ARM-based alternatives.
Just a quick question... Looking at the online photos of this thing, I'm not seeing any vent holes of any kind.

So, um, how does the heat get out?

Or does it?
(2014-06-08, 00:16)ronbaby Wrote: While I certainly applaud any and all efforts to create nice, livingroom friendly, XBMC capable boxes... especially ones that have any sort of sATA interface (which are not that plentiful, yet), and while I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, there are a few things about the online description of this box that, unfortunately, I have to say, are troubling.

1) Price. The online description says "...expected retail price of $299". Somebody on the development team for this thing needs to hop on over the Newegg and look at the various barebones/booksized systems that are already on sale there today (not five months from now). I'm seeing at least three systems available there today (Foxconn, Zotac, and Intel NUC) each for under $140. Granted, to each of those one would need to add at least some memory (e.g. 2GB)... perhaps for another $30... and then (to match this new box) a 1TB 2.5" drive, but those can be had for 60. So, for maybe $230 you can get a box with basically the same functionality today for perhaps $230, with the advantage that you get more USB ports (and 3.0 ports in the case of the Foxconn). For the alternatives I've mentioned, you also would have to add a USB wirless dongle (in order to match the EzeeCube), but that's also going to set you back less than $20, so we are still only up to $250. Admittedly, for all this the user doesn't get the EzeeCube fancy schmancy stacking feature, but I'm not convinced that this is quite such a selling point as the developers seem to think it is.

To be fair I think the software for syncing photos etc from ios / android would be worth something. Although I am yet to ascertain it's license and I'm not interested unless it is open source.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you guys for detailed feedback, really appreciate it
(2014-06-08, 00:16)ronbaby Wrote: While I certainly applaud any and all efforts to create nice, livingroom friendly, XBMC capable boxes... especially ones that have any sort of sATA interface (which are not that plentiful, yet), and while I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, there are a few things about the online description of this box that, unfortunately, I have to say, are troubling.
Glad you like the design, its been 1 year of hard work
(2014-06-08, 00:16)ronbaby Wrote: 1) Price. The online description says "...expected retail price of $299". Somebody on the development team for this thing needs to hop on over the Newegg and look at the various barebones/booksized systems that are already on sale there today (not five months from now). I'm seeing at least three systems available there today (Foxconn, Zotac, and Intel NUC) each for under $140. Granted, to each of those one would need to add at least some memory (e.g. 2GB)... perhaps for another $30... and then (to match this new box) a 1TB 2.5" drive, but those can be had for 60. So, for maybe $230 you can get a box with basically the same functionality today for perhaps $230, with the advantage that you get more USB ports (and 3.0 ports in the case of the Foxconn). For the alternatives I've mentioned, you also would have to add a USB wirless dongle (in order to match the EzeeCube), but that's also going to set you back less than $20, so we are still only up to $250.
You are totally right about the price, $249 would be the sweetest price and we are trying super hard to achieve that, retailers like to make at least 50% margin on most electronics products and if you are startup, even more.
Any ideas how we could make and sell it cheaper?
(1970-06-12, 08:56)ronbaby 77' Wrote: Admittedly, for all this the user doesn't get the EzeeCube fancy schmancy stacking feature, but I'm not convinced that this is quite such a selling point as the developers seem to think it is.
Most XBMC users have more than one box/devices to complete the setup, we tried to develop this stackable accessories so that these devices could stack up vertically, get rid of multiple power cables, display cables etc. Indiegogo campaign already has blu-ray and 2TB, we are exploring TV-Tuner STB option and would make it as 'Stretched Goal'
If you have been following following thread, we also want to give hardware developer an empty stackable board with USB port that can be used to for attaching additional USB devices (including HDD) or develop their own stackable accessories (game controller, wifi router, Qi wireless charger etc)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=182171

(1970-06-12, 08:56)ronbaby 77' Wrote: 2) Availability. I've already stressed this above. Other options are available right now... not November. By November or December this new box may perhaps be shipping in volume, but by then the prices of these other boxes may have come down further also.
Hope they get cheaper, also hope we get enough pre-orders and component prices go down so we can offer EzeeCube cheaper as well

(1970-06-12, 08:56)ronbaby 77' Wrote: 3) Hard drive replace-ability. The online description of EzeeCube says "EzeeCube is just like any other appliance in your home, it would last as long as its not destroyed by act of God or is physically damaged by force." No, I'm not making this up! Anyway, that is quite obviously absurd, and is arguably false advertising... if we make the seemingly reasonable assumption that the 1TB drive that will ship with this thing is in fact spinning media, and not an SSD. If it spins, it will die, most probably within 2-5 years, and not due to any special act of God. So what does the owner of the EzeeCube do then?
Apologies for creating confusion there, it probably could have been written better, we will have it changed
(1970-06-12, 08:56)ronbaby 77' Wrote: Will there be screws on the outside of the case, covered with little stickers that say "Breaking this seal voids your warranty. No user-servicable components inside." ? In fact, a hard drive, pre-installed and shipped with this thing ought to be an option, not something that the vendor is choosing for me. They are undoubetedly going to ship this with a WD Blue or equivalent, i.e. the dirt cheapest 1TB drive. I personally never purchase such drives. I perfer the 5-year-warranty WD Black drives, thank you very much. Spending money on a drive (e.g. WD Blue) which even the manufacturer expects to die in 2-3 years is a false economy in my view.
Developer kit stackable accessory (which would more be like a 2.5" drive case) could allow users to insert any drive they want (thinking of another stretched goal)
(1970-06-12, 08:56)ronbaby 77' Wrote: 4) No IR receiver. What the bleep am I supposed to do with this EzeeCube thing if my TV's CEC isn't working, or if I just want to use the box to listen to music through my A/V Receiver without firing up my power-hungry big screen plasma? They should have put an IR receiver on the front of the thing. Failure to do so was a colossal mistake IMHO. (And I mean seriously... geeezzz. How much additional would that have cost in volume production? An extra $0.25 per unit?)
There is IR receiver in the front, will update the campaign to reflect that, there will also be an off the shelf remote control.
(1970-06-12, 08:56)ronbaby 77' Wrote: 5) Port placement. The SD card slot and the full-sized USB port should have been placed on the front of the box. With these in back, I'm going to have to reach into my A/V cabinent and drag this thing all the way out (so that I can get at the SD slot) every time I want to look at any photos or videos from my digital camera. Dumb. Likewise, if somebody at work gives me a copy of their home movies on a USB stick...
We have been getting similar feedback and good thing is we did not do the tooling yet so we can consider these suggestions.
(1970-06-12, 08:56)ronbaby 77' Wrote: P.S. My apologies if I seem overly kvetchy about this new box. Like I said, I applaud all such efforts, and the time, skill, patience and courage of all those who undertake to build such things. But I'm a perfectionist, and I'm patiently waiting and hoping that someday in the not-too-distant future somebody will build the ideal XBMC box. I've spent some time thinking about what that would look like exactly, and it would look a lot like this new EzeeCube box except that the front of the thing would have four things that this box doesn't have (on the front), i.e. (1) an IR receiver, and (2) an SD card slot, and (3) a single USB "A" socket, and last but quite definitely not least (4) a flap/door where one could easly insert one's choice of 2.5" sATA drive... sort of vaguely like the one on this item:
Hope i was able to explain EzeeCube better above, looking forward for more feedback
(1970-06-12, 08:56)ronbaby 77' Wrote: I really do hope that someday somebody will build something like that... and then sell it at a competitive price point.
We are those guys Smile we welcome your feedback to improve the product
This is Freescale ARM based Dual core full processor (note its not Dual Core lite and hence more expensive, please refer to wolfgar post here http://stephan-rafin.net/blog/2014/06/05...organizer/) that can be cooled by heat sink. We also trying to keep the housing made of aluminium to keep it cool (which again costs lot more than regular plastic boxes currently available for XBMC)

(2014-06-08, 01:05)nickr Wrote: To be fair I think the software for syncing photos etc from ios / android would be worth something. Although I am yet to ascertain it's license and I'm not interested unless it is open source.
EzeeSync app available in App Store is free and will remain free. We would keep all our XBMC changes open source. We need to raise $75000 to go into production with first 500 units, you guys and XBMC team are the experts here, with your help we can try to build an XBMC box that is just right in terms of price and specs.
(2014-06-08, 16:33)aeropriest Wrote: Any ideas how we could make and sell it cheaper?
How much do you believe in your concept? If you really and truly believe there is a BIG market for this kind of thing, then give the first 50 of them away for free to well chosen, well qualified developers and then sell the remaining 950 out of the first batch of 1000 at cost, i.e. zero profit margin. That will create the buzz you need to really get sales going. Then see where you are as far as actual demand at your actual target price. I'm no marketing expert, but I know enough to know that you are entering a crowded market, and that publicity is going to be key if you ever really want to reach serious volume.

As regards to building them cheaper, I know even less about that than I do about marketing, which is to say nothing. It is obviously going to be quite difficult for anybody to compete with, e.g., Foxconn semi-slave labor. Contracting out the manufacturing to some Chinese manufacturer seems to be the only competitive option these days. But I assume you know that already.
Quote:Most XBMC users have more than one box/devices to complete the setup, we tried to develop this stackable accessories so that these devices could stack up vertically, get rid of multiple power cables, display cables etc. Indiegogo campaign already has blu-ray and 2TB, we are exploring TV-Tuner STB option and would make it as 'Stretched Goal'
Ummmm... Are you planning to ship software for this thing that includes deCSS? If not, then what is the point of an optical drive? And if so, how big is your legal defense war chest?

As regards to a 2TB drive, again, you should be making the hard drive an option as opposed to an add-on. Give me a sATA slot and let me pick my own drive, as suits me.

Regarding a TV-Tuner.... yesssss! If you can partner up with SiliconDust then you will really have something! (I cannot even fathom why other manufacturers of other media players all seem to have failed to grasp that proper/smooth/seamless hardware+software integration of OTA TV would be a huge draw for a lot of people, me included.)
Quote:Apologies for creating confusion there, it probably could have been written better, we will have it changed
That's good, but you didn't answer the question: Is the hard drive going to be user-replacable or not? Will replacing it void the warranty?
Quote:Developer kit stackable accessory (which would more be like a 2.5" drive case) could allow users to insert any drive they want
Why can't you implement this feature in the base system itself?

Remember, among the things you are going to be competing against are (a) Roku 3 and also (b) Pivos XIOS, and also dozens of other flavors of cheap-o media player boxes that are selling on eBay, most from Chinese sources. Other than a cute box and the possibility of stacking add-on components... which most people, myself included, would probably never use... what is your compelling difference?

Personally, I would have already bought a Pivos AIOS (with its unique ability to accept a user-selected drive) ages ago except that (a) as I understand it, you can't put Linux or even Android on that thing and are thus stuck with only using the Pivos proprietary software and (b) as I can attest from direct personal experience, small boxes of any kind are just fundamentally not compatible with 3.5" drives (and thus, I don't plan on spending any money on such a thing, cuz the drive will burn itself up in short order).

Gimme a box like a Pivos AIOS but smaller, and with just room enough for a 2.5" drive... most of which drives don't seem to overheat, even in cramped spaces... and with the ability to run Linux and/or Android (and XBMC, of course) and you've just made a sale. There is no such box available in the market anywhere at any price at the present time at least as far as I know. (I'm sure that someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.)
Quote:There is IR receiver in the front...
Great! That fact was not self-evident... either from the verbage or from the photos.
Quote:
Quote:5) Port placement. The SD card slot and the full-sized USB port should have been placed on the front of the box. With these in back, I'm going to have to reach into my A/V cabinent and drag this thing all the way out (so that I can get at the SD slot) every time I want to look at any photos or videos from my digital camera. Dumb. Likewise, if somebody at work gives me a copy of their home movies on a USB stick...
We have been getting similar feedback and good thing is we did not do the tooling yet so we can consider these suggestions.
Well, but you did the board layout already, so I know that I'm asking a lot. But honest to God, there should be one USB-A on the front and also, the SD slot, if present, should definitely go on the front. Putting them in back is just wrong. (But that having been said, there would be nothing wrong with having a second USB-A socket on the back also, however since you're going to have built in hard drive, built in WiFi, and built-in BlueTooth it seems like a second USB-A anywhere on the thing would be utterly and absolutely useless and pointless.)

Now, as regards to cooling, you wrote:
Quote:...that can be cooled by heat sink. We also trying to keep the housing made of aluminium to keep it cool (which again costs lot more than regular plastic boxes currently available for XBMC)
You asked for suggestions about how to maybe manufacture it cheaper. To quote a famous line from the movie The Graduate "One word son.... plastic!" Put a lot of small holes all over the entire housing, or at least on as many surfaces as possible (leaving out the front side, of course). Nothing cools like actual air flow. (I think that you really should give the thing a bunch of ventillation holes even if you stick with aluminum for the housing. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I have both a Roku 3 and an LG Blu-Ray drive that are sitting in a cramped cabinet just on top of a Motorola DCH3416 which produces nearly enough heat, even in standby, to cook a pizza. In the Real World, whether you like it or not, anything you produce will be subjected to such conditions by somebody, and maybe a lot of somebodys. Do you want people bad-mouthing your product in online fora when it fails in such conditions? More ventillation is always better.)

Oh yea, and make it black. Silver is for sissies. Every other media box is the universe is black. I like black.

You want to visually distinguish your box from every other media player box on the market? Come up with a little logo and just paint that in orange or purple or green on the front someplace.

A small dash of striking color against a black background can be very visually distinctive:

http://m1.behance.net/rendition/modules/...9ba512.jpg
http://www.teratechnologygroup.com/uploa...04.jpg?403
(2014-06-08, 16:33)aeropriest Wrote: ...retailers like to make at least 50% margin on most electronics products and if you are startup, even more.
Any ideas how we could make and sell it cheaper?
Excuse my French but f**k the retailers! Sell the thing direct at first (and chop that 50% off the price) via eBay and/or Amazon Marketplace (and do your own shipping/logistics).

Once you have sold 10,000 units, then approach Newegg.

Once you have sold 100,000 units, then you can start thinking about approaching BestBuy, Walmart, and Costco.
I really don't believe that many people who posts here on XBMC community forums will be in the target audience that they should be aiming for with this media player.

I do however think that a price under $250 retail or online including shipping is more than fair for a "complete HTPC in a box" when you counter in the built-in 1TB harddrive and the paid software support you will get for that price.

Remember that you would not only be buying a bare-bone mini-PC in parts here but a prepackaged digital appliance which comes fully preassembled and preinstalled, and they offer automatic upgrade services for the OS and software.

I'm also too much of a geek myself to be in the target audience for this, however I have many friends and family members who are not computer literate and as such are are not capable of buying a mini-PC in parts and maintain a HTPC on their own.

Though I still think that it is a good idea keep the box hackable and sponsor open source developers with free hardware as that encourages more hobby programmers to assist and help with the XBMC code for the Freescale i.MX 6 series platform.

@ronbaby, if you look just a little closer on the website or their Indiegogo campaign you will see that EzeeCube is actually based in Hong Kong, China
Thanks Hedda for your comment. I believe your right. most people on XBMC.org know about XBMC and have an idea about hardware. The target audience this is aimed at is mainly folks that never knew XBMC existed and to them this will feel like wow.

I'm with ronbabay here though, the stackable concept isn't that much of a selling point seeing that most people can conect usb cables and other cables, and also buy cheaper parts. Lastly you mentioned that you will put up the code for your software. so sooner or later you would get copy cats (just like you have with people taking Pivos's hardwork) with better hardware and cheaper. so then the only thing you have left is your pending patent on stackable system (which I think you did a good job of! and it can take of)

I admire your work aeropriest and I like the way you come on here and take the slack and answer peoples questions. I wish you the best of luck and hope you achieve success.
(2014-06-06, 07:24)buzzqw Wrote: 179$ Huh too much (even if with 1TB of hd)

BHH

you realize that $179 with 1TB is cheaper than $129 without HD, don't you?
(2014-06-09, 15:37)PatrickVogeli Wrote:
(2014-06-06, 07:24)buzzqw Wrote: 179$ Huh too much (even if with 1TB of hd)

BHH

you realize that $179 with 1TB is cheaper than $129 without HD, don't you?

could be cheaper, but i not need the hd (have plenty).

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen author
Thanks again for support guys.

I also don't know much about manufacturing or marketing yet however before I comment about that, let me restate some of the features of EzeeCube
- Preinstalled and pre-configured XBMC
- Full 1080p XBMC GUI rendering
- Sync content from iOS/Android devices
- No port-forwarding configuration required
- UPnP playback on all iOS/Android devices (EzeeSync app)
- CEC support
- Audio passthrough
- Hardware video decoding
- Hardware de-interlacing
- Pre-configured PVR (testing in progress)

Some of above features are not easy to find in even DIY HTPC

We really wanted to give out prototype boards for free to hackers and XBMC team however each prototype costs a lot unless we do at least a run of 500 units and that is why we priced $179 as 'SUPER HACKER SPECIAL' so that these guys could pick a few (wish we could give away for free however we are not big like those other companies and this project is funded by me and my wife so far)

We want to continue to sell directly and that is what the campaign is all about and we hope to continue to accept order via our website and learn more about distribution so we can give more value to users for each dollar they spend.

Plastic with lots of holes is good idea, would probably do that however think about keeping an ugly box next to super expensive high definition TV, though what is inside matters more but if outside looks good too, its only a plus. Our industrial designer would be redesigning the box and we would take these comments in consideration

Board layout is still prototype, going into production we require minimum 500 units so we can still change the ports, connection and layout, we already moved the power supply outside from the initial design to reduce the cost and heat, remove the qi charger

Harley suggested to OEM USB TV tuner card from Geniatech that supports DVB-T, DVB-C and analog TV channels and that is very constructive feedback and we would test it and try include that

Again we totally believe in this product, we are learning a lot trying to build that, we don't have funding yet to build thousands on our own and hence we need support from community. We are trying to build best XBMC box that is out there, everyone who uses XBMC loves it, we love it, we trying to make it available to people who many never use it because they may not be technical enough.

We would start designs for manufacturing as soon as we have reached campaign goals and we want to take all the feedback into our designs, home user may not be able to find us easily, you guys know about XBMC and what EzeeCube is all about, you can support the campaign by just contributing $1, please help us to spread the word and help us achieve campaign goal.

Please also refer to below article from wolfgar, post your comments or feedback

https://stephan-rafin.net/blog/2014/06/0...organizer/
(2014-06-09, 16:42)aeropriest Wrote: Harley suggested to OEM USB TV tuner card from Geniatech that supports DVB-T, DVB-C and analog TV channels and that is very constructive feedback and we would test it and try include that
As OEM goes for digital TV tuners it might be better to contact TBS Technologies who specialize in exactly that
http://www.tbsdtv.com/about-us.html

TBS also makes a Freescale i.MX6 mini-PC called Matrix which supports XBMC so they can test compatibility
http://www.tbsdtv.com/launch/tbs-2910-ma...ni-pc.html
Update:
Android app (beta) is available for download at
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...e.ezeesync

iOS app (beta) is available for download at
https://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/ezeesync...28382?mt=8

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Freescale iMX6 XBMC box on Indiegogo1