• 3(current)
Release [SteamOS] Kodi repository
the low fps issue is caused by wrong audio settings in combination with sync playback to display. Set audio channels to 2.0 and disable passthrough.
Interesting - I can agree that turning off "sync playback to display" fixes the issue.

But I can't find wrong audio settings...
How should I setup audio? I've got a receiver that decodes DD, DTS and I only want sound over HDMI. Thus I want passthrough, isn't it?
I've set my speaker setup to 5.0 (which it is), enabled passthrough and enabled the checkboxes that the receiver can decode DTS and DD. I've selected HDMI as sound output (via pulseaudio).

When I play a movie, I can see my receiver shows an incoming DTS stream so I "guess" that works.

What am I missing?

Cheers,
Michael
Quote:I've set my speaker setup to 5.0 (which it is), enabled passthrough and enabled the checkboxes that the receiver can decode DTS and DD. I've selected HDMI as sound output (via pulseaudio).

On kernel 3.10 there is no driver that can open more than 2 pcm channels on your AMD hardware. DTS, AC3 are compressed signals sent via 2 channels only.

Debug Log or it never happened.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Sad to hear - so I guess I have the most incompatible hardware possible - AMD making it impossible to accelerate decoding, impossible to passthrough surround sound and crystalhd not being supported.

But I'm still wondering why my receiver insists that it's decoding DTS when it can't be ...

I've followed the link and uploaded the logs here:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=238187

What would be the correct sound config in my situation then?

Cheers,
Michael
DTS, AC3 are send via 2(!) pcm channels. So also old kernel with old drivers can play that.

Edit: And from the logfile that looks good, done via pulseaudio
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
So that means my soundconfig is right and "sync playback to display" is broken?
Nope - most likely again an fglrx driver issue ... works on all other platforms nvidia, intel, raden oss, windows, mac, etc. ...
Hello. I'm new to XBMC and I need some help with getting it to work.
I had no problems with installing SteamOS on my newly built HTPC (CPU: i3-4130T, MB: Asus H87I-Plus, GPU: Intel HD 4400, RAM: 2GB), but when I tried to install XBMC on SteamOS following instructions from the 1st post of this topic I ended with this:
Code:
desktop@steamos:~$ sudo apt-get install xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc : Depends: xbmc-bin (>= 2:13.1~git20140609.0800-f2acae7-0) but it is n$
        Depends: xbmc-bin (< 2:13.1~git20140609.0800-f2acae7-0.1~) but it is$
        Recommends: libva-intel-vaapi-driver but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Then I've installed SteamOS in VirtualBox (it wasn't that easy) and got the exact same error after "sudo apt-get install xbmc" command...

Any ideas how to solve this dependencies error?
I have SteamOS Update 126 (alchemist_beta) installed on my Intel NUC and I get the same error message as the previous poster

Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc : Depends: xbmc-bin (>= 2:13.1~git20140609.0800-f2acae7-0) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: xbmc-bin (< 2:13.1~git20140609.0800-f2acae7-0.1~) but it is not going to be installed
        Recommends: libva-intel-vaapi-driver but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I have tried to add the libtag1c2a to the preferences file as indicated in a previous thread but apparently this does not fix the broken dependencies.

Code:
Package: libtag1c2a
Pin: origin mirrors.xbmc.org
Pin-Priority: 900
AMD Ryzen 5 2700 | Asus ROG Strix B350 ITX | Geforce RTX 2060 
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS | Kernel 6.1 | Nvidia blob drivers | Kodi v20
apt-cache policy libva-intel-vaapi-driver
(2014-08-20, 21:07)wsnipex Wrote: apt-cache policy libva-intel-vaapi-driver

Thanks for that tip. I already found another workaround yesterday. I'll put my steps below just for those that might have a similar issue and find this thread here:

I added the wheezy deb to sources.list since they are not enabled on a brand new SteamOS box

Code:
deb http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

Then I added the deb to the pinning order

Code:
Package: *
Pin: release l=SteamOS
Pin-Priority: 900

Pin: origin mirrors.xbmc.org
Pin-Priority: 500

Pin: release l=Debian
Pin-Priority:-10

Then I did
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

and the magic happend. Perhaps it would be good to add a little side note on the first post that the procedure above might be required for some people.

Now I only have to find a way to bring a PVR addon into this build (tvheadend)

Edit says:

For those that struggle with installing the PVR addons:

Have a look at this page here and search for the PVR addon you need (i.e TVheadend)

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/steamos/pool...vr-addons/

In terminal you enter (in my example for TVH for x64)

Code:
wget http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/steamos/pool/main/x/xbmc-pvr-addons/xbmc-pvr-tvheadend-hts_1.9.27-16alchemist_amd64.deb

then go to where you downloaded the file and do

Code:
dpkg --install /xbmc-pvr-tvheadend-hts_1.9.27-16alchemist_amd64.deb

That's it, you should now be able to find and activate the Addon in XBMC.
AMD Ryzen 5 2700 | Asus ROG Strix B350 ITX | Geforce RTX 2060 
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS | Kernel 6.1 | Nvidia blob drivers | Kodi v20
pvr addons are in our repo.

and I'll check about the libva driver when I find some time. But it should be available in steam OS itself.
Hi, Just wondering if a 13.2 update is planned for this repo. Should I be more patient or build my own?
its on my todo list, I might get to it in the evening.
(2014-08-26, 08:48)wsnipex Wrote: its on my todo list, I might get to it in the evening.

Cool Thanks,

Also I just received SteamOS update 133 with the updated VAAPI. I had to turn off VAAPI acceleration as H264 videos output white blocks all over the screen. Not an XBMC issue but something to look out for for those using Nvidia hardware.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SteamOS] Kodi repository2