Replace Xbmcbuntu with Linux Mint
Hello,

I did not like the feeling of Xbmcbuntu and would like to remove it from hard drive (installed via bootable USB to the primary HD). I will be replacing it with Linux Mint via the same USB stick used to install Xbmcbuntu.

My problem is when i try to boot from the Linux Mint USB stick, it hangs at my Compaq main bios screen (displaying [esc] for boot menu, f10 for setup, etc).

I've tried gparted to format in conjunction with Startup Disk Creator (which wont erase my disk for whatever reason) to no avail. I tried both loading an ISO file, as well as downloading an iso from within Startup disk creator. I've used unetbootin within Xbmcbuntu to download and create USB stick, but same problem. I've also tried numerous USB creators on a work PC to create the USB stick (LiLi, Rufus, etc) but same problem. (Side note: I tried Linux Mint and Deepin USB stick creations and the same boot hang happened on work PC.) I have even tried Unetbootin on a Mac to create a bootable disk and nothing.

I'm confused because I'm using the same USB stick that Xbmcbuntu was installed from.

I'm all out of option and beware, I am pretty tech savvy, but don't know much about Linux, especially commands. I can certainly follow along directions, however.

Please help!
I had the same problem trying to load some previous Linux Mint versions from a USB. The latest version - Linux Mint 17 - worked great with Unetbootin (I did it from a Windows PC, not like that should matter).

Booted into live mode without incident, and then I installed easily from there. And best of all, LM 17 is a "long term support" release, so you won't have to worry about replacing it in 6 months.

As far as XBMC on this distro, I haven't used it enough to properly review, but it did update from Frodo to Gotham without any problems.
Thanks for the input, Nostrodamus.

I am attempting to install the latest version of Mint, so I don't know if that is the cause. I also tried using the latest verison of Linux Deepin. This really has me pulling my hair out. I've tried various things for about 10 hours over two days.
Try different USB sticks, make sure you are using usb2 not 3 port.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I was hoping for some additional steps that I may be unaware of before I go buying a new usb drive. I JUST used it to install xbmcbuntu with no issues. I also just moved to a new town and don't really know too many people at work to ask.

Do you think I should just get a blank DVD and burn an iso at work?
How about this as an option, since I have SSH control and SFTP access.

Put a Mint ISO onto the Xbmcbuntu drive and then create a partition for Mint. When I get it all set up, I could then delete the Mint partition?

Only problem is that I am very unfamiliar with Linux and its commands. How should I go about doing this? Forgive me if this is somewhere else. Any direction would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Replace Xbmcbuntu with Linux Mint0