Question About Music Libraries
Question 
Hey guys, relatively new to XBMC here (using Openelec 4.0.4 with XBMC 13.1 final) and I was just wondering if there was a way to have 2 different music libaries within XBMC without using profiles? I want one for my GF and one for myself (we have different music tastes) and I want to be able to stream the different libraries to other devices. I tried searching if this was possible but only found that it wasn't from posts in 2011, 2010. So I was wondering if that has changed in 3-4 years and if so how might I go about doing it?

Any and all help would be appreciated and thanks!
Have you considered using Smart Playlists to achieve what you want?
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
Hmm thanks for the suggestion but I'm not sure that would work well as we do have some overlapping tastes and thus there would be some overlap here and there between music. I didn't see a way for a playlist to select a specific directory and I am going to have 2 directories on my NAS:

Person 1's music
Person 2's music
*likely there would be a few of the same files in each directory*

I was hoping for a way to select which music library would play depending on user input.
Hrm....

Well, you wouldn't be able to select a specific directory. But you could build a playlist based on artists, genre, etc.

I've seen others in the forum repurpose a little used MP3 tag field to create an extra ability to filter on. For example, you could use one of those and put your names in there, then build a list off of that.

But that seems to be more effort than a second profile.

Others with more experience in this area may be more helpful.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
(2014-06-14, 21:28)Skrumpy Wrote: Hmm thanks for the suggestion but I'm not sure that would work well as we do have some overlapping tastes and thus there would be some overlap here and there between music. I didn't see a way for a playlist to select a specific directory and I am going to have 2 directories on my NAS:

Person 1's music
Person 2's music

I was hoping for a way to select which music library would play depending on user input.

Did you even read into the suggestion? Smart playlists are very powerful and would be a better choice for you. They do allow selection by path so if you have your music split in to folders you can have a smart playlist for each path.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Smart_playlists
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2014-06-14, 21:47)lrusak Wrote:
(2014-06-14, 21:28)Skrumpy Wrote: Hmm thanks for the suggestion but I'm not sure that would work well as we do have some overlapping tastes and thus there would be some overlap here and there between music. I didn't see a way for a playlist to select a specific directory and I am going to have 2 directories on my NAS:

Person 1's music
Person 2's music

Did you even read into the suggestion? Smart playlists are very powerful and would be a better choice for you. They do allow selection by path so if you have your music split in to folders you can have a smart playlist for each path.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Smart_playlists

Yes, I read it and then went to the link and looked it over..thanks for relinking it I guess. I didn't see a section defined for paths, it is on the table of fields but does not allow differentiation based on albums/artists from what it looks like. My music is organized \music\artist name\album name\song.mp3 therefore a path for songs wouldn't work (unless I'm thinking of it wrong) as all files aren't in a single directory.

(2014-06-14, 21:46)Jogee Wrote: Hrm....

Well, you wouldn't be able to select a specific directory. But you could build a playlist based on artists, genre, etc.

I've seen others in the forum repurpose a little used MP3 tag field to create an extra ability to filter on. For example, you could use one of those and put your names in there, then build a list off of that.

But that seems to be more effort than a second profile.

Others with more experience in this area may be more helpful.

This might be the way to go as I need to organize/rename/clean both libraries anyways. I'll play around with that and smart playlists while waiting to see if there are any other options that pop up. Thanks for your help.
I don't think smart playlists are that good for a filter. Reason is to get the flexibility of the music views you need a song playlist, then I think you need to create separate artist and album playlists that are based on the song playlist. Then if you want music genre that would be yet another playlist.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question About Music Libraries0