• 2(current)
Bug Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi
Pulling this one up... Helix has the same issue.
A track 123 feat. DEF by artist ABC has both artists (ABC and DEF) as musicbrainz artist IDs, seperated by semicolon.
When it's added to the library, I see in the album view ABC / ABC - 123 (feat DEF).
Once I query the album infos manually, the album view shows ABC / DEF - 123 (feat. DEF) - as it should.

I can't believe we're the only ones having this issue...
I always assumed I was the only one with this annoying problem, which I still have by the way.
I'm on Windows 7 64bit using Kodi Beta - when I scan in a new album I get the duplicate tags displayed. If I then refresh using the information screen, it corrects. What combination of options do I need to set, to avoid the 2 step process?
And even after I get the info, the artists are just listed. That means that all info like featuring, &, presenting, etc is missing.
Have you tried deselecting include artists who appear only on compilations in the music settings? This should fix your problem.
It doesn't fix the problem.
It also happens on both Windows and Mac as well as Gotham and Helix.
Exclamation 
If XBMC/Kodi would read the correct artist tag there would be no problem.
For the library it is great if each artist on a record is individually listed, however the display of the song should just be the Artist tag.
Screenshot from Musicbrainz Picard:
That way I can search for any artist but in the now play screen it looks as it should.
There was a trac ticket for this issue but it was closed.
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/15304
Maybe it can be reviewed again?
Anybody has a view? It would be really good to see the ARTIST feat. ARTISTS1 as tagged rather than ARTIST/ARTIST1 after scanning and refreshing
No comment from any of the devs?
With the 14 Beta 4 install it is still the same.
With default settings:

With The override songs tags with online information enabled
Created a new library

Only when I manually update album info

I get the artists one time but just separated with slashes.
I have the same Issue, i guess many more have it but the just dont care Tongue

in my opinion its a issue with Kodi reading the musicbrainz_artistid, if there is more then one ID present,

i played around with one track that have 3 artist ID's
1670ecd7-a00f-4534-bf80-b8efaa1f965e
4e9037f4-af08-43a4-b3fb-c6b3e79db7fe
709b55e5-0286-4fda-bf7e-3aff1894554d

the last id is the same as musicbrainz_albumartistid

at first kodi shows "Beginner/Beginner/Beginner"

if i remove one of it, no matter witch one it shows "Beginner/Beginner"
if i remove two of them it shows "Beginner"
if i remove all of them it still shows "Beginner" !

so something went wrong, when reading all the tags...

is there a debug I can turn on, to provide more info?
Same problem here.

Seeing a duplicate artist name in my playlist isn't a big concern for me, but Last.fm not scrobbling correctly is!

Hope this gets sorted out soon.
It depends on how you want the artists to show in the library views. There's probably some room for improvement in the logic, but with the MBID stuff added, it's kind of complex.

The thing is, if your artist tag is set as

Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris MC

Then Kodi tag reader is going to see that as a single artist. OK, but if you now also include all three artist ID tags, Kodi is going to assume you know what you want, and will create 3 artists, one with each of the Artist ID tags. It will scrape artist info using the tags, so the info is correct. Problem is, it will use the single artist tag as the artist string name for all 3 entries, unless you have the "override tag info" set, in which case in the database for the artists it will replace the 3 duplicate string names with what it gets from MB, namely Beginner, Das Bo, and Ferris MC. Now you also have to consider the album artist, in this case it's Beginner. So without the "override" setting you will also get an artist from the album artist tag in addition to the three instances of Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris MC (4 in all). The next issue is whether you have a MB AlbumArtist ID tag (for Beginner) in addition to the 3 artist ID tags. In this case Kodi sees that the album artist and the first (song) artist are the same and does not duplicate the artist in the database (in other words in this scenario there end up 3 artists, Beginner, and Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris MC twice).

Meanwhile, the database also saves something called "song artist string". This is only used for display with the track/song itself, not a part of the list of artists. This probably needs some tweaking as the song will have 3 song artists saved that it shows as
Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris MC / Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris MC / Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris MC
probably not so good. I suspect the problem is some people want the song artist to read
Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris MC
and meanwhile have 3 artists in the database, namely
Beginner
Das Bo
Ferris MC
but I don't think you can get that. You could get the song artist as
Beginner / Das Bo / Ferris MC
while keeping all three artists in the database, but I guess some people want to keep that "feat.".

Right now Kodi won't do that for you (at least I don't see any way). It might be easier to get something like
Beginner feat. Das Bo feat. Ferris MC
but even that I don't think is simple do to all the possible permutations of artists/album artists/MB artist ID/MB AlbumArtist ID.

For my part I strip out all "feat." and " & " that are used as conjunctives in artist or album artist tags, and instead use separate tags for each, ignoring whether or not the second (or additional) artists have a "feat." credit.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Could KODI save "song artist string" as the original tag "Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris" and then store the individual artists. That way the database can be search on the individual artists but the GUI would display the correct artists description when displaying the "album list" of "now playing" - of course this is from someone who knows nothing off the internal workings of KODI
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi1