• 12(current)
Release script.ambibox for ambient lighting [Windows Only]
Good Night, same problem here with Krypton. I am using the last gitnub versión 1.0.9.0 but in Kodi Direct mode the capture speed is only 1 or 2 fps in Ambibox.

In the kodi.log I see very much messages how that

00:43:47.817 T:2376 NOTICE: ### [AmbiBox] - Missed frame at 1
00:43:49.994 T:5176 NOTICE: Previous line repeats 32 times.

Thanks for this great addon
Having the same problem with Krypton and the latest Ambibox version. When is this getting fixed?
Any information about Krypton 17 update? Or is this addon abandoned?
I have just ordered a Raspberry 3. I am going to switch to Hyperion. Ambibox is just too buggy and not maintained anymore as it seems.
I'm so glad to be away from Ambibox. I constantly had to adjust LED delays which seemed to be different for every kind of media I was playing. I also had to get up at least once in a movie to restart the Arduino because the LEDs just turned off.

The Raspberry Pi 3 and Hyperion just works flawless without having to install some third party software on my PC. I'm sure a Raspberry Pi 2 would suffice as well.
So the issues with the way this addon works in concert with Kodi do not seem to be solvable.
It was always somewhat of a hack - using Kodi's screengrabbing interface as a frameserver and then passing the formatted frames to the ambibox executable.
In Krypton, the screengrabbing routines were rewritten and do not perform the same as with previous versions.

I am getting 10 fps at best on a beefy system.
My test routines that only test Kodi's infrastructure also shows the same limitations.

As I have mentioned before, I long ago stopped using ambibox on my HTPC. I have been using a splitter with a hardware capture device that feeds an Rpi:
2114732 (post)

Using that, I have ambient lighting from ALL of my sources, not just out of Kodi.

I have been trying to maintain the script through the transition, but infrastructure changes in Kodi are out of my hands.
Hard to want to devote my spare time to this when the issue is not in the script but in Kodi and I don't even use the script for my own HTPC.
So there's no hope at all??

I only built my adalight rig a few months ago and now it's useless??
Sorry, but I'm furious! This thing cost me $150 Sad

Is there really no other way at all?
Do the Kodi developers know about this? Can they fix this?

How does this Hyperion thing work? Can I hook it up to my existing LED lights (I don't know what make/model they are, but it's these: https://www.adafruit.com/products/322)? Or will I have to start from scratch again? Is there any solution at all that will enable me to use my existing LEDS?

I am only using this with Kodi, however I wouldn't mind a solution that enables capture from multiple HDMI sources - but I am worried that doing things that way will be expensive since every component in my AV system is HDMI 2.0a and a splitter will 'break' the chain and make it impossible to watch 4K60 content.

Sorry about all the questions, but I am extremely new at this and have barely any coding experience.
Can somebody please advise?
(2017-03-25, 14:23)djcorvus Wrote: So there's no hope at all??

How does this Hyperion thing work? Can I hook it up to my existing LED lights (I don't know what make/model they are, but it's these: https://www.adafruit.com/products/322)? Or will I have to start from scratch again? Is there any solution at all that will enable me to use my existing LEDS?

I am only using this with Kodi, however I wouldn't mind a solution that enables capture from multiple HDMI sources - but I am worried that doing things that way will be expensive since every component in my AV system is HDMI 2.0a and a splitter will 'break' the chain and make it impossible to watch 4K60 content.

Sorry about all the questions, but I am extremely new at this and have barely any coding experience.
Maybe there is? On my previous "cinema" setup I've used a Lightpack clone in combination with Ambibox, and that "worked" most of the time great. Sometimes a cold reboot was necessary to get the things going again, but most of the time it worked great. I've also have a Adalight setup somewhere in a box but al the separate lights and strings was to messy to put on a back of a TV in my situation (you can see the back of the TV when walking by).

When changing to a whole new 4k setup (TV, receiver, HTPC), my family began missing the extra lighting on the back of the TV so I've ordered a new (same) Lightpack (clone) that I have used before. I'd soon find out that Ambibox, Kodi 17.x and a 4k resolution wasn't the best combination (very sluggish and not responsive), useless shall we say?

So the hint that I've got from the seller was to use Prismatik with a Windows 10 setup and so I did. This wasn't a right out of the box solution for me with the standard Prismatik version but extensive searching on the internet seems to brought the solution. Just testing right now but al is looking very promising.

So..., maybe make a new beginning with something else then Ambibox, Prismatik maybe?

Looking at the topic-title this is of-topic here, so I will not go any further by polluting this one.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2017-03-25, 14:23)djcorvus Wrote: So there's no hope at all??

So the history of this is that going way back, Kodi (XBMC) included a python interface into this frame server. As best as I can tell this was to take screenshots.
The original developer of the Ambibox executable wrote routines to take those frames and send them directly to the Ambibox executable and found that XBMC served them up at reasonably good rates to make the whole thing work. I took over in 2013, improved a lot of things, added some things, optimized parts with c calls (ctypes.memove() etc) and things were good through Jarvis.
I know for a fact that using that part of API, the system *could* be pushed to the point that the video would stutter on *some* systems as a result of requesting large frames frequently.
The Kodi developers decided during the Krypton development cycle that these routines were poorly written and rewrote a good part of this subsystem.
It is only conjecture on my part, but I think in order to shield the rest of the system, the buffer was written to that it is lower in priority and that it will protect the video output at the cost of serving frames through the API.
If you go back through this thread and search the rest of the board and the bug tracking system, you will see that I made them aware of this and they fixed true bugs, but do not seem concerned that the performance is poor.
After all, this is meant for screen shots. Not as an interface to grab full speed video. So feel free to complain to them, but I will expect them to tell you learn how to code and try to improve it yourself. After all, they, like me, do this in their spare time as a hobby and for free. And I don't even use ambibox for my ambient lighting setup, as mentioned above.

Hyperion uses the same infrastructure and the last time I looked around, they were having similar issues.

Doing a simple google search I found several HDMI 2.0a compliant, HDCP compliant splitters capable of 4K60Hz, but they aren't cheap (i.e. https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/177/1x2-hd...22-support).
I understand all that, but is there any other software solution I can use to get Kodi working with my adalight system?
There is, you don't use kodi direct but Windows 8 capture in ambibox. The addon for kodi works well if you define a full HD capture instead of kodi direct. Using this way in the past few months 20+ FPS.
Use Kodi windowed fullscreen instead of normal fullscreen.
Can anyone tell me if the Boblight addon has a similar issue? (do both addons use the same capture method?).
I don't want to use Windows 8 capture mode because there is no way for it to automatically detect and ignore letterboxing when watching movies. Some type of Kodi plugin is necessary for this.
Doesn't work with h265 files on kodi 17.1. windows 7 (capture method direct), works well with all other files.
Someone have the same problem? Any idea for possible solution?
so, the smartest thing is to stay at 16.1?
(2017-07-28, 23:47)romeon Wrote: so, the smartest thing is to stay at 16.1?
 Boblight still works great here, so setup boblight and update to the latest version of kodi.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
script.ambibox for ambient lighting [Windows Only]0