Android Streaming box with S/PDIF
Question 
Hi, for the last few weeks, I've been searching forums (here and dozen other sites) and googling, but I think I've done too much research for my own good... as a lot of info is from 2012/2013 and even early 2014 (prior to v13.1). Now I am left with conflicting information which is probably out of date.

My requirement:
- An Android TV box
- S/PDIF output to 5.1 system
- Remote (WiFi, BT or IR)
- XMBC for online streaming 1080p TV Shows/Movies.

Why Android and not Linux, HTPC or RaspPI? Google play is familiar. Don't want to tinker/build with Linux or RaspPI. Looking in $150 (CAD) range. Plus Android has Mirecast (do any others?).

I do not have a library of Blu-ray rips or other collection of videos. When people start talking about DTS/DD/TrueHD, MKV/H.264 and MPEG-2/4, my head starts to hurt.

I just want to go to popular XMBC plugins (won't name) for online streaming, select a source marked *HD* or a movie from 1080p category, click play and watch it without buffering/stuttering with 5.1 sound, preferably over WiFi, not Ethernet. My Internet connection is 30Mbits, so should be enough.

So, I guess first question is: in what format are most of streaming movies/shows?
- I've read about so many problems with DTS/DD audio, but does that even apply to streaming movies/shows?
- If DTS/DD audio doesn't work, do I get any audio at all, or will it be mute? I just want 5.1 sound, don't care about the fidelity of it.
- If I have S/PDIF cable from the box to my sound system, does it matter if that Android TV box supports DTS/DD HW decoding?

I've read before (again, too much outdated information research), that XBMC doesn't work on Amlogic based systems, but then there are others that say XBMC works best on Amlogic based systems for HW HD decoding.
- Is that because of custom ROMs?
- Because of custom XBMC versions?
- I've also heard that Amlogic based system are slow in general (UI speed), even if HD video is fine. Is that still the case?
- Are the new quad-core Amlogic systems supported?

I've read that Rockchip don't have HW HD decoding, but then v13.1 enabled HD decoding (through CPU?). So, can I play 1080p streaming content on dual-core Rockchip with v13.1 of XBMC?

I can't decide between the likes of:
- Minix X7
- G-Box MX2
- MyGica ATV1200
- Maybe Fire TV? (But I am not even sure where that falls)
firetv is your best bet for what you want to do. s/pdif outputs 5.1 without issues comes with a remote and is 100$ and faster than most of the competition.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2014-06-20, 22:22)dukester Wrote: firetv is your best bet for what you want to do. s/pdif outputs 5.1 without issues comes with a remote and is 100$ and faster than most of the competition.

Just realized I can't buy FireTV in Canada Angry
What and you don't know anyone in the US who could post it on to you?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming box with S/PDIF0