• 5(current)
Milkdrop Visualization for XBMC?
geez you guys are quick. Smile well done.

i don't have chipped xbox myself but have chance this week to see one at my mates. he showed me xbmc last night but it was an old version asnd i was trying to find some of my stuff i ported from milkdrop to gforce on there but there was none. :/ g-force seems to be an old version or something. :/

i'll hopefully check out the new xbmc with milkdrop later this week.

can you configure it at all?

my website is really out of date but i do intend on working on an update to it. there are probably another 1,000+ presets waiting to go up on there. but been busier with r4 rather than milkdrop in recent times.

what texture and mesh sizes are you using?

i'll soon be working on v1.05.

the release of the source can as a surprise to me too and atm i have loads happening. working on a new vis atm with pixel shaders et al.
hi rovastar and welcome to the xbmc forums :-)

the new visualization was only added this sunday (yesterday) so only the newest builds have it. the default texture size appears to be 720x480 (ntsc) or 720x576 (pal) and the framerate almost never seems to drop below 60fps. you'd have to ask the porter mrc about the mesh size.

i am a huge fan of the delta field transitions in this visualization :bowdown:
woot!

ps. please keep synced framerate primary
omg thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much. my wish came tru. :-) xbmc fo' life.
hello.

i've put together an update pack for g-force and wanted to do the same for milkdrop. i've uploaded "milkdrop for xbmc update pack 2005-05-16 (3211 new presets!Wink" to usenet and xbox-sky. this is a quote from the update pack info:

--
over at the milkdrop resource website there are 3601 additional presets available for download. develpment and/or updates seems to have stopped, as the last preset update package is from 8th october 2003. after weeding out the duplicates that are already present in the latest build of xbmc, we are left with 3211 new presets over the 435 included! the fatx renamer i used clipped some of the filenames a bit too much, so if you see any similar preset names, don't worry, i went through those to make sure they were all different.
--

i know that 3211 additional presets is overkill and i'm sure that they don't all look great, but i love the variety. there seems to be a problem, though. milkdrop runs fine with the new presets, but after a minute or two it goes into a preset and then stays there without changing. the visualization itself continues, but the preset doesn't change. i've seen it do it four times so far with two different presets. it has done it three times with a red-green-blue shifting circle preset. you can reset it by exiting and restarting milkdrop, but it does it again in a couple of minutes. i'm not sure if it's the additional presets or milkdrop itself.

the fact that it seems to favor the same preset (out of over 3600!Wink when it stops changing suggests that it might be milkdrop itself.

any comments?
@rovastar:
the current version isn't configurable but the next one will be.

the texture size is 1024x1024 and the mesh size is 32x24.

theses settings along with time between presets and other stuff will be configurable soon.

@asteron:
fonts are not working yet but i could probs stick the filename of the preset to the debug output if thats of any use to you.

@KevinSartori
i will take a look at that when i get chance.

cheers
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
cheers mrc.

so you just used the defaults then. 32x24 mesh is pretty chunky. but i am not sure what the xbox can handle. i hope it can handle 48x36 that is mostly what we consider a good standard.

i might be better just sticking to the default scenes that come with milkdrop for teh install.

the 'regulars' packs on http://www.milkdrop.co.uk are probably a better selection of decent ones if you quickly narrow down the scenes.

i'll update a presets when i get around to doing v1.05 of milkdrop. and there will be a better collection then. there are a lot that are decent that are missing.
(rovastar @ may 16 2005,15:20 Wrote:the 'regulars' packs on http://www.milkdrop.co.uk are probably a better selection of decent ones if you quickly narrow down the scenes.
looks like i misunderstood what the texture was. Blush
thanks for the tip though!
yeah maybe the autochange is milkdrop itself. sometiems it doesn't seem as random as it should be. it could be the random number generater in the xbox.
it usually doesnt make sense to question the randomness of a random number as people tend to see patterns in random data when no pattern exists (i think the term is apophenia). in any interval you would expect for some to appear more often than others by chance anyway...
however, could it be possible that there are multiple copies (or very similar copies) of the preset...?
as to getting stuck on a preset... could it of been a malformed preset maybe?
thanks for the info rovastar.

just tried 48x36 mesh size but it seemed too slow to my eyes. 40x30 was better but got quite a bit of tearing on some of the presets. i think i will just leave it at the default for now, of course you will be able to change this when i implement the configuration stuff. unless you have any optimisation ideas...

looking forward to 1.05!

cheers, and thanks for your hard work.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
ive made a 50 or 60 top preset file for milkdrop at http://www.thraxen.com/britneyspairs/milkdrop.rar please get soon if you want cause it will be down in a day. also i went though about 1000 more than default, but still thousands left Smile may look at it again some time but if you want quality try this out if you want 1000s of them they have been compiled on sky (thanks very helpful Smile )
just wanted to add that downloading the 3000+ pack from sky has presets that will slow down the viz, music, and menu navigation to a crawl and the random preset feature doesn't work all the time, which probably have to do with the way certain presets were made (for older versions of milkdrop probably)?

screenshot of stuck preset (don't know what it's called)

thanks britneyspairs for the filtered pack. going to do a fresh build and presets install
ummh i am not sure what that preset is. it is not one of mine.
yeah i had the same problem with the 3000 preset pack, i was all confused everyones tlaking about 45fps and i was getting liek 3...lol..good to see someone else caught this and im not jsut crazy...lol
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Milkdrop Visualization for XBMC?0