XBMC keeps returning to first run state
Hi there. Running a custom build Gotham 13 on a BeeLink M8/Tronsmart vega Android KitKat box. Everything seems to work OK I recently added Fusion addon which worked OK, but the next time I started up XBMC it displays the First run XBMC screen and all the movie artwork and icons from the custom addons have all gone back to the default jigsaw puzzle piece (Confluence). When I select Video addons, all the icons are just plain blank ones (In Mashup) Aljazera Icon is just blank with plain lettering, not the corp logo like it was when I installed it

I also notice that the entry for movies I added is no longer under Video/Files, so had to re-add all the movies. Would this be caused by adding another source (Like Fusion) All the TV shows have lost the artwork fanart, but they still play (Path still valid)

Using windows SMB shares from a 3Tb WD external hard drive

This is the fifth time I have re-installed xbmc and all the addons, but again, it has reset itself to first run status

Thanks for any help

Cheers Chris
Is the data partition properly mounted? ("mount" in adb shell)
What is the content of the internal sdcard?
Where does "/sdcard" point to?
Thanks for your reply. Sadly I am an android newbie, so dont understand your 1st question. On the intenal SD card I have 4 folders, Android, Backup, DCIM and Download. / sdcard points to those 4 folders.

I hope they are the right answers. I just cant understand why this works good for a week or so, then one day I start it up and its lost ALL its artwork and icons, but each show still has its synopsis and whether I have watched it or not...very odd
I get the same issue on my Ouya. Each time I run gotham i get "preparing to run for first time", but I don't lose any settings.
(2014-06-23, 05:53)locoguano Wrote: I get the same issue on my Ouya. Each time I run gotham i get "preparing to run for first time", but I don't lose any settings.

Glad its not just me :-) I can use XBMC successfully every evening and everything is OK, but then suddenly it does its first run thing.

Do you lose all your artwork/icons/custom icons/fan art as well?

I would imagine that all the artwork/fan art is stored in the folder where the movie/tv show is stored? It appears to just just forget where they are. The only way I can fix it is to go to APPS/XBMC and clear out cache/data and re-add the folders again. Doing this resets XBMC to as if you have just installed it, so all the settings need to be set again (Weather location/Audio) etc.

When its in this state, I have even tried removing source and adding it again, but the artwork just dosn't show any more

Very Strange
Hi all.

I have same issue, did you found any solution?
I have now 3 boxes, non of then are functioning!

Thanks for any help.
Hello.. I experience the same symptoms on the same release of XBMC on an Afunta tablet running KitKat. Everything is OK after the additional initial runs, so more of an annoyance than a problem. I too access Fusion's repositories to get Add-ons. Lambda's is still enabled along with related video add-ons.

Running 13.2 Beta 2 on a Matricon G-Box with no difficulties at all.. cj
I'm guessing, but I"ll bet the guisettings.xml file in the userdata folder is somehow getting corrupt and/or being written over by a blank one. I've seen this happen to Amazon Fire TVs. You can copy that file as a backup to a PC and restore it when you lose your settings. Launch XBMC and all your settings will be back. On the Fire TVs the problem seems to go away, after a few reboots, if your settings are retained they will stick from then on. That's been my experience anyway.

On another note, we can't talk about those addons here.
Sorry to revive so old a thread, but I think my information may be of interest to future readers with similar problems.

I think I understand what triggers this problem, though I don't have a solution for it.

Apparently XBMC/Kodi stores some data it needs permanently using a method which the system regards as reserved for temporary cache purposes.
This is the stuff you can clear out by going to the 'Storage' submenu of Android 'Settings' and clicking the 'Cache' entry of the 'Internal Storage' area.

Each time you do this on any Android system with XBMC or Kodi installed, the next launch of that program will be a "First Run".

Since this happens every time I clear that cache by manual command, it will also happen whenever any app decides to clear system-wide cache the same way.
And that is probably what happens with some of your apps causing this problem. It could also be a custom Android system which itself does cache maintenance.

A true solution to this problem would require modification of Kodi, so that the app stores the permanent data in some other way, not affected by cache clearing.

Best regards: dlanor
If you save your guisettings.XML file you can just paste it over if that happens and it will restore your settings.
So is the problem solved in the newest 14.2 kodi?
Anyone resolved this it is a major pain
Or how do you remove the cache rocket when Kodi launches

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC keeps returning to first run state0