Win NUC + NAS or HTPC/Server build?
Question 
Hi everyone.
I dont know what solution is the most efficient.
NUC and NAS or "a all in one" HTPC.

My priority needs:
  1. 1080p og TrueHD/DTS-HD 7.1 passthrough
  2. Torrent handling
  3. Low power usage
  4. Stable picture/image
  5. Low noise from hardware
It mostly depends on your storage requirements. If you need more than ~4TB I recommend to go the NAS route right away, otherwise a NUC with an external USB harddrive might be just the thing for you.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
I would definitely recommend standalone NAS.

NUC is very quiet (can be made silent with aftermarket enclosure). Then you just stuff the NAS in a basement/closet/etc. Also upgrading and swapping out your storage will be more painless on NAS than having one franken-PC that does everything. Finally, if you need to upgrade the NUC in a couple of years to support 3D/4K/etc you don't need to screw with your storage box to do it.
Standalone NAS with a SilverStone DS380B case + i3 Haswell NUC. Same setup I am running now and works flawless.

You're welcome Smile
(2014-06-27, 00:28)jrdnlc Wrote: Standalone NAS with a SilverStone DS380B case + i3 Haswell NUC. Same setup I am running now and works flawless.

You're welcome Smile

was thinking of using that case for a server build. was just wondering what OS you are running for your nas server?
I run a standalone NAS running Debian, and a raspberry pi for XBMC, but will soon be upgrading to a NUC. My NAS does a LOT of work, SMB, NFS, AFP, LAMP, Handbrake, Filebot, Transmission, Sabnzbd, etc...

The XBMC box has exactly one job, running XBMC, and that is the best way to do it. Makes tinkering with addons and different things on XBMC significantly easier, and safer to tinker without risking your data.

Plus, a NAS running a console only operating system + a NUC drawing 8W(at least I read that) will draw less power than a full sized HTPC running a full operating system with GUI and pushing HD video.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NUC + NAS or HTPC/Server build?0