• 80(current)
pvr.mythtv add-on
Binaries 2.8.5 and 1.13.2 are available now from download page. Enjoy
I am experimenting with Kodi as a PVR front end.

With Microsoft continuing their quest to become irrelevant WMC seems to be going away.

For me “table stakes” includes at least the ability to do “series recording” (Record all episodes).

I have installed the released version, Beta4 kodi and now a daily build from Jan 1 (Windows front end) and have tried both MythTV and TVHeadend (debian linux, latest) but I still see no series recording options.

I’ve seen screenshots including series recording options, so I’m guessing I’m just doing something wrong, but after 1 week of trying I still only see a simple choice of “record” and “stop recording” for the pvr.mythtv and the tvheadend pvr client.

I am running the January 4th daily build of Kodi and have MythTV 27.5 as a backend.

This post is my “throwing in the towel” and asking for help, please re-direct me if my post is misplaced.

Please point me to a solution. What steps and versions do I need to install (Windows frontend, debian mythbackend) to enable series recording options?

Thanks!

HDMan
I run MythTV as a back end and I really like how it handles recording. I don't bother trying to use the front end options, I only use the web interface to control things. There is a myriad of options that simply aren't available with the front end controls.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythWeb
https://www.mythtv.org/detail/mythweb
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
Series options for MythTV are in the context menu. In the Guide, highlight the program you wish to record, hit 'C' to bring up the context menu, choose 'Client actions' (or similarly named), the choose your series option there. It's not easy to discover, but the functionality is there.

However, to truly only get new episodes, you have to modify the scheduling rule in MythTV, because by default it records new to MythTV seeing the show, not new to being aired.
afremont - Thank you. I installed mythweb, and it's a handy way to see what's going on from MythTv's perspective, but I was trying to get this all running from inside Kodi, it's clumsy to have to exit if you're running from a remote from the couch.

rpcameron - Thank you. The context menu led me to "timers" and the timers menu does include the Type menu choice, and the Type menu shows Manual, Record One, Record Weekly... This is what I was looking for.

Thank you both for your quick and informative help.

One more question if you don't mind, I think I'm settling on MythTV for the backend, but is there a comprehensive comparison between MythTV, tvheadend, and others? I have Myth and tvheadend running but I only want to really learn one.

Thanks,
HDMan
Mythtv has better recording options, is more stable and is a more mature product. I have only dabbled with tvheadend, but found it less than easy.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
nickr - Thank you for your reply. I was able to get both running with Kodi, but before I took a "deep dive" into really learning the ins and outs of this, I wanted to pick which horse to bet on. I actually found tvheadend easier to get running than mythbackend, but now that they're both installed and running, I could go either way.

Since my focus is on trying to replicate as closely as possible the functionality of Windows Media Center, I think your observations match mine. The recording (timer/schedule) options in mythtv seem closer to WMC as far as daily, weekly, series. From what rpcameron stated above, it also looks like I can modify mythtv scheduling rules, although I haven't tried this yet.

The other deciding factor will be support of tuner cards. I have hdhomerun (the non-cablecard) version, and mythtv seems to have picked it up automatically. The schedules direct integration also went flawlessly, although I would also like to try to get it running (with guide) with no schedules direct account (lower priority).

My main worry is that mythtv development seems to have stalled at V27.5. There is V28 in git, but it has been a long time since a new release came out. Of course this may just support your point of "more mature", in that they don't need to keep fixing it.

Thanks,
HDMan
Yeah 0.28 is very slow coming, but 0.27.5 should be very stable for you. Unlike kodi, many master (ie 0.28) fixes will have been backported to 0.27.x.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@HDMan

Mythtv development is ongoing, I have been running 0.28pre (i.e. Master from git ) for months. Note running from Master is not recommended unless you can handle the odd breakage which will happen during development.

Also 0.28 is getting close to being released - target 1st February 2016 - see :

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/594182

I would suggest you run 0.27.5 it will be supported after 0.28 has been released.

And finally yes you can modify mythtv recording rules, the options are vast, but the defaults work well for most. The area I tend to modify are the start and end padding times (some broadcasters are not known for sticking closely to schedules), also sports events have been known to overrun by a lot, so you may want special rules for sports events.

Mike
And for any programme that may screen after a sports match that may run over...

Good news on 0.28.
(2016-01-06, 14:51)HDMan Wrote: afremont - Thank you. I installed mythweb, and it's a handy way to see what's going on from MythTv's perspective, but I was trying to get this all running from inside Kodi, it's clumsy to have to exit if you're running from a remote from the couch.
On the other hand, if you are accessing mythweb on a notebook or tablet — which many people often have handy while they watch TV — you can do your scheduling without exiting the show you are watching. Can't do that if you are scheduling via the addon. Further, the mythweb interface will inevitably be richer than one designed to be operated by a remote control. This is not in any way a criticism of the excellent addon, as there are features that are simply not practical, or are much less usable, on a "10 foot User Interface" that will ordinarily be operated with a remote control.
Although mythfrontend offers all the options via remote.
Perhaps it is just me, but I feel that mythfrontend is an excellent example of how not to design a 10 foot user interface. I find it cluttered, confusing and difficult without a keyboard.

My mythTV 'project' started on the expectation that I would use mythfrontend, as I was not aware of any alternative. It was soon apparent that (even if I liked it, which I didn't) it would not be tolerated by my wife and kids. Kodi, with the mythTV addon, saved the project and is my everyday front-end. I would not be using MythTV at all without it.

Mythweb and the Kodi MythTV addon are a pleasure to use. The addon is more elegant, convenient and feature rich than the interface on the cable company PVR it replaced. Mythweb is a bonus. And, it keeps getting better. I now have Kodi/Myth addon running beautifully on a Pi2 and on a Fire TV stick, both of which are crazy inexpensive, tiny, noiseless, virtually invisible and hardly draw any electricity. Can't do that with mythfrontend either.
Yeah horses for courses. I am happy with my kodi frontend, means my system is consistent for pvr and ripped media.

BTW mythfrontend on pi2 does seem pretty viable from threads I have seen on mythtv-users.

Anyway good that you have a system you and your family are happy with.
Just curious as I too run in master (I'll be stopping that after .28 is released) I got my Kodi PCs updated with the latest plugin however for my android devices they're not able to connect to the backend right now. Is there an easy method for updating the plugin or do you just need to wait for the new version to be released?
  • 80(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
pvr.mythtv add-on1