XBMC EDEN .mkv Audio Problem
Not sure if it's a Windows or just an XBMC Setting...

When I watch 1080p or 720p MKVs the volume is not consistent.

I have to crank up the volume to hear the low sound like dialog and such.. But when loud stuff happens, explosions and crashes, etc etc it blows my eardrums out...

Is there a setting within XBMC to make the volume more uniform??

Or is it a Windows volume/setting issue??

Windows 7 PRO x64
Pentium Duo Core E2220 2.2ghz, 4 GIGS RAM
Nvidia GEForce 8400 HDMI
60" Vizio LED Smart TV

Any hints tips would be most appreciated...
That's just how your movies have been shot. Plenty of movies with barely audible dialoge, and deafening special effects. Closer to how it is in reality, I guess Smile

The word you're looking for is 'normalising' but I'm not sure if anyone ever did it to movies... It does not really make sense. And normalisation only works from the peak volumes, and brings it down, but with it the rest of the track.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
(2014-06-30, 21:17).:B:. Wrote: That's just how your movies have been shot. Plenty of movies with barely audible dialoge, and deafening special effects. Closer to how it is in reality, I guess Smile

The word you're looking for is 'normalising' but I'm not sure if anyone ever did it to movies... It does not really make sense. And normalisation only works from the peak volumes, and brings it down, but with it the rest of the track.

That might actually work. Normalizing, I mean..

The problem is, I watch movies sometimes while the wife is sleeping.. So I have to turn it up to hear the dialog, but crank it back down so I don't wake her up on the loud stuff..

Getting all to the same level would work..

I suppose the better way might just be to stay away from MKV files..

Is it a safe assumption that AVIs or MP4s won't have this issueHuh

Thanx for the reply...
Are you really using Eden? Don't, it is way out of date.

It has nothing to do with mkv.

Try using the Volume Amplification setting in the audio menu while playing, it in fact does what you want.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Nice... I should check that out myself Tongue

And no Michael, MKV is just the container. It doesn't do anything, all it does is just hold the video/audio/subtitle tracks in one file.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
I'll try that suggestion on the next MKV I watch...

Thanx...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC EDEN .mkv Audio Problem0