Req Wii U build? At least read my post :)
Question 
Not really a feature request and perhaps a slightly odd question... What would it take to port one of the existing XBMC builds to the Wii U? I'm guessing this would have to be a PPC based build.

Is there any interest in this? Would donations be an incentive?

I know there are most likely no plans at all to make a Wii U port, though I figured there's no harm in asking Smile

Edit: According to the guys behind the Dolphin / Wii emulator there's a h.264 decoding chip inside the Wii U http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digita...-u-gamepad

Most likely proprietary, though I was actually thinking that this would be something for Nintendo's eShop.
I would love to see a build for the Wii U. I mean the device is just sitting here having the capabilities and is not used for it. Ok it would have a little bit more to code, than for some devices. But i think it would be possible.

Also i don't know how I could port something other to the wii u.
Would be best to even sell it for a little price on the market, to compensate the effort.
You should start by getting in touch with Nintendo and finding out what's required to get something on their appstore.
https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com/

"Develop games for Wii U with Unity or HTML5"

So I don't really know if it's possible to port Kodi to the Wii U. Either way, I have a feeling it will be hard to find someone interested in porting this in their spare time. Now if you want to crowdfund it, then maybe. This feature is already filled on so many other, cheaper and more capable devices.
So what did they have to say about Kodi? No point in drumming up developer interest if its not even going to get in.

Also, even if it did get in, once RetroPlayer is merged into kodi I bet kodi would be booted from the eshop in a instant.
I don't know if anyone has contacted them regarding Kodi, it was more a guess from my side.
Kodi is not Unity nor HTML5 - no as for the same reasons as for all the smarttv crap.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-06-30, 23:34)nooryani84 Wrote: Not really a feature request and perhaps a slightly odd question... What would it take to port one of the existing XBMC builds to the Wii U? I'm guessing this would have to be a PPC based build.
The sticky thread from 2008 in this subforum answer exactly that question
I don't need this anymore... The only fully capable solution for an HTPC the way I see it is an x86-based device. At least until everything has moved away from flash.
Someone might be able to make a Kodi-compatible viewer that is in html that could play some video file types and show library data. Something like could be used in any number of similar situations. We just need someone with interest, time, and skills to do this. Maybe.

In any case, I think a metadata-compatible/communicate-able "viewer" is the closest we could get, simply for technical reasons. You'd still need Kodi running on another device, as well.
There are two options for this afaict. Either port xbmc native go Wii or create a smallish webapp which uses a headless xbmc.

I did an initial try to port xbmc to the Wii at one point and from what I learnt the graphics api was really annoying. But this could have been due to me trying via homebrew. And in their framework they might have gles which would be much nicer.

Anyways. I don't think anyone on the team has a Wii u. And even if someone did, or one was donated, I'm not sure if anyone is interested (might be wrong on this) however. I'm sure we would accept sane looking patches. The more platforms kodi runs on the better!
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
If we consider the fact that the Wii U's userbase has been growing the past few months (ie. they have some good games now Tongue), then you just might find someone who would be interested in porting it. I'm not quite sure how what the pricing is like for a full devkit that would allow you to code in other languages besides Unity and the Nintendo web framework (HTML5, javascript and css afaik), though it would probably be the only feasible solution.

Edit: Don't know how accurate this is: http://wiiudaily.com/wii-u-dev-kit/ So if crowdfunded a Wii U and money for the dev kit (sell some merch?) and IF someone was interested... Could be quite nice. Would have to be a fairly locked down version like OpenElec so that nobody tried hacking RetroPlayer into it.
(2014-11-22, 21:03)nooryani84 Wrote: Would have to be a fairly locked down version like OpenElec so that nobody tried hacking RetroPlayer into it.
you confuse openelec's read only file system with it being locked down. All xbmc/kodi addons will still work.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-11-22, 22:25)nickr Wrote:
(2014-11-22, 21:03)nooryani84 Wrote: Would have to be a fairly locked down version like OpenElec so that nobody tried hacking RetroPlayer into it.
you confuse openelec's read only file system with it being locked down. All xbmc/kodi addons will still work.

Well the end result is the same, no? Either way, it would have to be locked down to prevent addons like retroplayer.
That's another reason why this isn't likely to happen. Most people aren't interested in making a nerfed version of Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wii U build? At least read my post :)1