Linux Anyone Know a good Guide for Home Server OS
Problem here is: that not a single server daemon is configurable by the gui ... e.g. all the clicking around won't help.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
True, but it can be handy to use a browser and a terminal at the same time.

And anyway, X is just a way to run more terminals isn't it?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
no single advantage, you need a dedicated monitor, keyboard and so on ... having a ssh server installed gives you exact the same possibilities from the couch over the network.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I guess most people setting up a server have a desktop/laptop/tablet/smartphone handy that can surf the net. So it's not an issue at all.

And no, X is not a way to multiply your terminals. That's what a terminal multiplexer is for.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
(2014-07-02, 13:55)OmniBlade Wrote: I do agree that once the server is doing what you want of it, you don't tinker anymore beyond installing security updates. That is how you justify the second sever purchase to your significant other, production and testing Wink

LOL I think a second server would make my wifes head explode... she has trouble waking one server to watch her movies.

(2014-07-03, 10:28)fritsch Wrote: no single advantage, you need a dedicated monitor, keyboard and so on ... having a ssh server installed gives you exact the same possibilities from the couch over the network.

I only needed a monitor/mouse/keyboard attached for the initial install several years ago. Admittedly I did need some extra config to get the gui to run with no monitor attached, which was all done via ssh. Is it even possible to install a whole system without a monitor/keyboard/mouse, especially if the bios hasnt been pre configured to boot from a usb drive etc?

(2014-07-03, 18:40).:B:. Wrote: And no, X is not a way to multiply your terminals. That's what a terminal multiplexer is for.

Sounds like a poor mans DE :p
thanks for the replies guys it will give me some stuff to think about i have messed around with distro's like lubuntu and do like the fact of having a gui i can learn on as well as it being light so at this stage especially coming from a windows environment a gui based distro seems the easiest choice for me and i do have a few things to learn i am just unsure if i am gonna have the patience to learn learn a whole new OS especially such an advanced one as linux

i know in the long run it probably be worth it but i honestly don't know how i will go my other concern is if something does go wrong how difficult and time consuming will it be to fix the issue with windows i am very confident in using it however with linux i am getting an insight into how computer noobs feel

I think before i make the decision i will have to work out all the functions i want this server to perform and then work out if there is easy enough ways for me to get them to work in linux

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone Know a good Guide for Home Server OS0