MySql and Local Library
Question 
Is there any way to use both mysql and local library at the same time?
The reason i asked is that i have recently moved my library to a mysql server hosted on my NAS in prep for me adding an additional XMBC instance in the bedroom. However since doing this there is a noticeable delay when browsing through the library on my main theatre PC, i assume this delay is due to it having to query the nas, and the nas replying.
Huh
I was thinking the ideal solution would be if i could use *both* the mysql server and the local library at the same time, designate my main XBMC instance on my main HTPC as the master, all other instances as duplicates which are duplicated via the MySql server on the NAS, then whenever the master PC writes any changes to its library it sends those changes to both its internal database and the hosted database. That way when I browse the library from my bedroom, or any additional instances I may add i have access to the most up to date library without the associated slowdown on the main machine.

Does anyone know of any way to do this?
No, there's no way to use both.

It would be best to determine why your MySQL is so slow, probably because the NAS isn't up to it?

The point of a shared MySQL is so that clients can update it too, for instance resume points - there'd be little point to a centralised MySQL if the clients are read only, you might as well then just sync the local SQLite databases from a "master" whenever each client boots.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
MySQL shouldn't be slow.

To echo what MilhouseVH said, you need to focus on establishing why MySQL is slow.

Most likely reasons are:

1. Your network connection is slow and needs to be upgraded (Is it WiFi or cabled ?)

2. The PC hosting your MySQL database is under-powered or doesn't have enough RAM and is therefore lagging and causing MySQL itself to be slow.

3. You are using SMB shares instead of NFS shares. If you are using SMB, you should switch to NFS anyway because that will immediately speed up network comms and is more efficient.
So, it took me a while to finally sort this out however i've now swapped all my shares over to NFS.
My main HTPC is on gigabit ethernet, i've also a remote one connected via WiFi, both machines experience the same delay in startup, which i assume is the MySql database loading.
I'm using an NSA325 to host both my shares and my MySql server. This is running at 1.6ghz with 500mb ram, which is currently 15% utilised.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySql and Local Library0