content pauses for second, not buffering, then continues
Hello everyone. I am getting a strange thing occurring while playing content, which started just this evening. I am running 14.0 pre-alpha on linux and i had no issues at all until tonight. I am seeing the following errors in my xbmc log file:

Code:
20:19:35 T:2400168768   ERROR: Read - Error( -1, 22, Invalid argument ) - Retrying
20:20:00 T:2887510848  NOTICE: service.libraryautoupdate-0.9.2 : Player is running, wait until finished
20:20:03 T:2470685504 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
20:20:03 T:2529848128 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
20:20:05 T:2400168768   ERROR: Read - Error( -1, 22, Invalid argument ) - Retrying

This was happening for two different video files - not just a single one. I was hoping it was just a bad file - but to have two bad files, for different TV shows seems unlikely. I will try to play the offending file through VLC on my desktop to see if i see similar behavior, but i wanted to post to get feedback on the above error first.

Is this just a generic file error? I disk error? Any other thoughts/comments would be appreciated!!!

Thanks all.
Post a full Debug Log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Here we go:
XBMC Full DEBUG Logs

Thanks in advance.
You are running on real slow hardware (gpu wise)

Go to Video -> Acceleration (Advanced Settings View) and select Decoding Method: Software

Does this improve things?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
That's weird. I have never had this type of trouble before and I've been running this system for 3 years. I will give that a shot though. You are the expert! I'll post back my findings.
Would a stand alone Nvidia 8400 card I could use in its place. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814121712. That is the type of card.

Let me know if this would be better than the built in graphics?

Based on this link http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware#Desktop - my card would be good as it states any card above 8000 series for hardware decoding. That would be preferable over software decoding if possible right?
There is a lot of stuff going on in your xbmc.log - which I really don't like:

Quote:20:20:05 T:2400168768 ERROR: Read - Error( -1, 22, Invalid argument ) - Retrying

Reproduce the issue with local files, please.
OK. I will clean up my log, move the same file to the local system, and retry playing back the video. Is that what you would like me to try for you? If so, ill report back my finding shortly.
Since I switched my test media file over to the local drive where XBMC is installed - i have not seen the video pause/stutter and have not seen the same error in the log yet (while it was doing it earlier, i was tailing the log, and matched up the stutter with these lines ->
Code:
18:04:45 T:2561985344 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
18:04:46 T:2578676544 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
18:04:48 T:2805988160   ERROR: Read - Error( -1, 22, Invalid argument ) - Retrying

I will try another movie file and see if i can get it to happen again.

In reading elsewhere, I saw there were similar errors when using SMB to connect to a linux server. I am connecting over the network to my NAS. Is there something you know of obvious that could be causing that error when attempting to stream over a network? I am hardwired directly from my XBMC PC to my 24 port 10/100/1000 switch. As i mentioned, i never saw this error until yesterday.

Cheers
If you can switch to nfs
Is there a way for me to switch sources from smb (current) to nfs while keeping my watch status and my library state? All my content has the path of smb:192.168.1.9/path/to/files. Can I just mass update a database table to reflect the new path. .. then update the sources file? I have mounted my share via nfs with no problem at /mnts/media/movies for example.

Cheers
I have tested this on my rasbmc (Raspberry Pi) systems also - and i get the same pausing error as seen below:

Code:
20:20:05 T:2400168768   ERROR: Read - Error( -1, 22, Invalid argument ) - Retrying

Switching to a NFS mount as mentioned above does not seem to resolve the issue. I get the same stuttering. Do you have any other thoughts or more information etc you may need from me to help debugging this issue for me. Again, this issue never started until about 3-4 days ago. I am now running 13.1 stable on the rasbmc system, and a 14.0 prealpha on my main theater room system.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
content pauses for second, not buffering, then continues0