ppa remove nightlies or dev versions
I am apparently running the 14.0 alpha1 on my linux XBMC box. This is fine for now because it is still compatible with the version of the DB for example as my Raspbmc devices i have around my house (i use a shared library/MySQL configuration). I want to prevent development or nightly builds from being installed from now on, so i believe i have to remove the ppa's from being referred to. I am not sure how to perform these steps - or to see which ppa's are currently in use (if that sentence makes sense, i am doing pretty well for myself!). I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Much appreciated.
apt-cache policy xbmc

will show you the sources of available versions. Those sources are configured in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/[filename]
and to remove a ppa the command is
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository -r [ppaname]
Or just delete the [filename] , or comment out it's contents.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank you both so much for your replies. Very very helpful.

When running the policy xbmc command, i get the following:

Code:
root@XBMC:/home/tony# apt-cache policy xbmc
xbmc:
  Installed: 2:14.0~git20140529.0205-f6db665-0quantal
  Candidate: 2:14.0~git20140529.0205-f6db665-0quantal
  Version table:
*** 2:14.0~git20140529.0205-f6db665-0quantal 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:13.0~git20140506.0839-gotham-0quantal 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ quantal/main i386 Packages
     2:11.0~git20120510.82388d5-1ubuntu2 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/universe i386 Packages

I then was unsure about the ppa names - so i tried the command nickr posted - but wasn't entirely sure what the [ppaname] part of the above would be. I am assuming none of those are the actual names, and maybe i remove by filename instead?

Either way, i then went ahead and deleted the files from the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory (i removed like this: rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/team-xbmc-unstable-quantal.list* for example). I then reran the 'apt-cache policy xbmc' and got the same information as previously posted above in the code section. Do i have to restart something, or refresh a cache to see the updates listing? Sorry for my newbie questions - but i really appreciate the help on this one.
sudo apt-get update

oh btw: your ubuntu version(12.10 - quantal) is officially out of support(by ubuntu), so there won't be any new packages for it anymore, neither xbmc nor others. The newest available xbmc version is 13.0, while we are about to release 13.2beta1.

So you probably should upgrade/reinstall your ubuntu to 14.04 - trusty
Nice catch. I will upgrade as soon as possible so to continue getting uodates/support etc. I don't believe I need to do a complete reinstall of the OS... I'll look into that. I know some major OS upgrades don't have a reliable upgrades between major releases.
You could also have used:

Code:
apt-mark hold xbmc

Wink
(2014-07-12, 02:03)dahlSTROM Wrote: You could also have used:

Code:
apt-mark hold xbmc

Wink
Can I ask what that means/does exactly?
It freezes the package from receiving automatic updates. When/if you want to receive updates again, just use apt-mark unhold xbmc instead of having to deal with adding/removing PPA:s etc.
Nice. Good piece of info. Thanks a lot dahlSTROM.
Code:
man apt-mark
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ppa remove nightlies or dev versions0