MythTV cmyth client WOL working?
Hi,

up to now I have a MythTV-only combined frontend/backend. Now, I am testing a separate XBMC frontend (13.1 with MythTV.cmyth 1.9.16) with a standalone MythTV backend (0.27 from deb-multimedia). Backend doesn't run 24/7 but starts up or powers down automatically.
Works quite nice, but I just can't get wake on lan to work with the MythTV PVR plugin (which is an absolute must-have with the backend being located in the basement).
I can wakeup the backend via command-line (wol) from any of my machines, also the AdvancedWOL addon works (but this one only wakes on startup or manually and not when entering the Live-TV menu).
Network card is set to wake on magic packet ("pg").

I have tried adding the MAC address to MythTV PVR client settings (in "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" format), but it just doesn't wake the backend... neither from my MacBook, nor my Linux boxes. I also tried different settings of the XBMC "System/Power Saving/Try to wake remote..." setting and using a wakeonlan.xml, but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Should this work at all (I checked the source code and at least it calls some XBMC methods...)?
If yes, any hints why it doesn't work for me?

Thanks,
steginger
No, not supported, see also http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=195364
I am seeing exactly the same issue as steginger. The thread mentioned by t4_ravenbird does not appear to address this issue. I can see from the debug log that the xbmc->WakeOnLan function is being called by the PVR client. However, ethernet tracing on the target system does not see the packet. Packets sent from the AdvancedWakeOnLAN add-on to the same Mac address are traced successfully.

The code for the WakeOnLan function looks superficially OK, but it does not look like a packet is actually being sent from the socket. Does anyone have any evidence that this function is being used successfully elsewhere?

I tried to capture a tcpdump trace on the openelec system. But it looks like for some reason the WOL code is not called when you disable and re-enable the PVR functionality.

Anyone got any ideas on this one. Because the myth client no longer keeps a permanent connection to the back end, keeping it powered up, this is a big problem.

Roger
I have never personally used it, but the mythtv addon has a option to use WOL, maybe that will achieve what you guys are after.
OK,

I realise now that the call to WakeOnLan I was seeing in the log was actually coming from the AdvancedWakeOnLan add-on, which also uses the xbmc->WakeOnLan function to send the magic packet. So we know that this function works. The problem is that the PVR client only calls the WakeOnLan function if the connection that is established in the client initialisation is subsequently lost.

If the back end is not awake during the client initialisation then the initialisation function returns an error and the whole client DLL initialisation process is then retried on a regular basis. No WOL packets are sent so the client never successfully initialises.

This looks like a bug to me. Should I raise it on the cmyth PVR issues list on GitHub?

The only other place that the client calls the WOL function is never executed because it is conditional on a variable that is always false.

Roger
This sort of thing is why my server is on24/7.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MythTV cmyth client WOL working?0