How do I use the current skin in py script?
im wondering what i should do in my py script to use the current/default skin as a background? if i dont set any background image at all the screen will be full of clutter from the script launcher. i want a nice clean background.

what is the proper way of getting the default skin background?
as i dont know anything about skins in xbmc, are the title/button positions different from skin to skin? if so, is there any way find out where the title/buttons/etc go?
Check out my XBMC scripts at http://xbmc.ramfelt.se
try using background.png as the background it seems to work with pmiii and pdm skins. that brings up the default background for the relevent skin, don`t know about the other things though.

cheers b4tm4n.

the dangeor with trying to use 'filenames' from the current skin are that skins do not need to have teh same filenames so it may not work on a certain skin.

i suggest that if you want to have it multi skinnable then,
then in the script detect what skin the user is running then if the scritp doesn't know that skin it will use basic files from the script, else you have it use the correct filename based on skin.

another tip with the 'unisverse version make sure you set fontcolor as i think it just defaults to 'white' else i think it may read default color from skin so if you have a white button texture then it you won't be able to read the text if the fontcolor is defaulting to the default/skin one.
** Team XBMC Tester** XBMC 4 ever

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

ok, so i guess it is quite hard to make a script uni-skinned as they would have different button colors, etc. but what are the reqs for positions,etc? are those forced to be at one place or can they be placed wherever?
Check out my XBMC scripts at http://xbmc.ramfelt.se
they have to be in 1 only place. nothing to know what kind of button you can put and where exactly you can put it...
a solution could be to open a skin file, parse it to know where buttons are, what texture they use, ... and if this would be possible, you have to know where the button is comparing to other controls to know on which control to move when you select left/right/up and down...

i think it is possible to implement some more features for skinning inside xbmcgui library. then, skinners could put a xml which will be used to know what texture are available, what fonts are available what positions different controls are, depending on a selected skin.

actually, what you can know is the screen resolution and the skin name

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I use the current skin in py script?0