Linux Intel based XBMC box for under US$300?
I would search around via Google but I'm afraid I don't know enough about today's processors to make a judgment call on this.

My goal is to have an HTPC that meets the following requirements:

1. $300 or under
  2. Intel CPU
  3. Must be capable of running Ubuntu 14.04
  4. Must be capable of running MAME 0.149 or higher
  5. No problem handling 1080p resolution content streaming over wifi (typically MP4 or MKV)

And the $300 cost is with everything included: wifi, storage (nothing crazy needed, 60-80GB is fine, SSD preferred).

I've been told certain Intel CPUs have some sort of 24p problem on the 3rd generation CPUs. I'm not sure how big a deal that is, if I should avoid it. Also, with the DIY boxes like the NUCs, people tend to get Intel wifi mini PCI cards for them, but in my experience, Atheros wifi is much better supported on Linux and is overall a better experience.

Also, I've seen many complaints about the new Haswell NUCs, something about the BIOS. I don't know how big a deal that is either, but also the new NUCs might exceed my budget depending on the components used. I'm open to Celeron, just not sure if it will handle the 1080p content and MAME arcade stuff.

Thanks for any suggestions!
i3 NUC? Should handle everything. along with a 64gb ssd and 4gb of ram?

There is also the Asus Chromebox as well which can run ubuntu
Which i3 NUC? Intel 3rd gen or 4th? 3rd is cheaper but has the 24p bug.

What about the BIOS bug(s) in the NUC? And Chromebox looks good but the Intel version is nearly $400. Celeron version only has 2GB RAM.
Get the celeron chromebox. It's a haswell celeron not an atom. 2GB RAM is plenty for XBMC, and you can add more if you want to.
Oh cool, thanks for the tip! The Celeron version is very budget friendly. Smile
The Asus Celeron Chromebox has a single 2GB SODIMM installed, but has two slots, so it is relatively easy to add a second 2GB SODIMM to get to 4GB. I believe it is also possible to buy it with 4GB installed.

The HP Celeron Chromebox is shipping with 4GB (though the HP only has a single SODIMM slot) in Europe.

In both cases - if you are looking at upgrading / replacing RAM you need to make sure you get 1.35V not 1.5V RAM - the Chromebos is low-voltage RAM only.
Awesome, thanks for the helpful advice!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel based XBMC box for under US$300?0