Android Assistance needed to create source file structure in Eclipse
Well i'm stuck.

As this is my first time dealing with any application source that doesn't use java and uses the NDK to produce an app from C coding i have no clue how to make the file structure in android, with all the necessary files.

One of my issues is trying to wrap my head around what goes where with the github setup.

First we have
Tools > android > packaging > xmbc

This contains the drawables, java source and the jni folder with the build files.

Now if we go to
xmbc > android
we have *another* jni folder. Which seems to contain all of the C programming used in the application.

What i need help with is simply this, when using Eclipse what files should be going where? I know Eclipse and the android ADT plugin will support using toolchains to generate the APK correctly but for the life of me i can't figure out what files are needed and where they are placed.

Any help would be much appreciated! Cheers!
See README.android, the build is via command-line, not via Eclipse.

This is a very complex android build and package.
(2014-08-02, 04:02)MeatGrinder Wrote: See README.android, the build is via command-line, not via Eclipse.

This is a very complex android build and packasoge.

You can accomplish the same thing from the command line in eclipse. Because NDK compiles the C language in the jni file the exact same.

I know there is a way to structure eclipse with the information that they provide.

I will be using linux to compile it soon, but i would love to hear what a dev thinks.

I need more than "It wont work with eclipse" i need reasons as to why it wouldn't.
You are not just building some trivial native activity example, The NDK would never do a configure and the makefiles are not structured like an Android specific build. XBMC is multi-platform, as such, even the 2nd stage becomes complex as you need to cross-build everything.

See README.android, then see tools/depends/README. If these don't make sense, give up Smile

You build a boat load of libs in depends via all sorts of methods that each lib requires. depends uses a config.site method to cross-build. Then configure and build xbmc via tools/depends/target/xbmc/Makefile which sets everything up. If all this is Greek to you, give up Smile

Once you build, then you package for android with 'make apk'. Packaging is also complex because of the use of numerious native libs. See tools/android/packaging/Makefile, if what you see there is Greek to you, give up Smile

Depending on your build hw (cpu/disk/etc), it can take anywhere from a few hours to < 10 mins when building from scratch.

I highly doubt that you can structure all of this in eclipse but good luck in your endeavor. Your 1st step is building depends as without those, you cannot build core xbmc. I estimate it might take a few weeks. It took two expert xbmc developers about 1/2 a year to sort it out the command-line build/packaging and that was using iOS build of depends as a starting point. One of those persons was me so I think I know what I'm talking about when I say this task is very non-trivial.
(2014-08-02, 04:33)MeatGrinder Wrote: You are not just building some trivial native activity example, The NDK would never do a configure and the makefiles are not structured like an Android specific build. XBMC is multi-platform, as such, even the 2nd stage becomes complex as you need to cross-build everything.

See README.android, then see tools/depends/README. If these don't make sense, give up Smile

You build a boat load of libs in depends via all sorts of methods that each lib requires. depends uses a config.site method to cross-build. Then configure and build xbmc via tools/depends/target/xbmc/Makefile which sets everything up. If all this is Greek to you, give up Smile

Once you build, then you package for android with 'make apk'. Packaging is also complex because of the use of numerious native libs. See tools/android/packaging/Makefile, if what you see there is Greek to you, give up Smile

Depending on your build hw (cpu/disk/etc), it can take anywhere from a few hours to < 10 mins when building from scratch.

I highly doubt that you can structure all of this in eclipse but good luck in your endeavor. Your 1st step is building depends as without those, you cannot build core xbmc. I estimate it might take a few weeks. It took two expert xbmc developers about 1/2 a year to sort it out the command-line build/packaging and that was using iOS build of depends as a starting point. One of those persons was me so I think I know what I'm talking about when I say this task is very non-trivial.
Though I don't agree with telling someone to give up, the amount of information you provided about how the application is built should definitely come in handy. I will be posting back tomorrow if I need some help Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Assistance needed to create source file structure in Eclipse0