XBMC & Plasma Burnin (help!)
Hey all,

Been a lurker here for a while, but this is my first post.

I run XBMC with a MythTV PVR plugin for all my TV needs. It is hooked up to my 60" Panasonic plasma.

Never had a problem with burn-in, because I tried to proactively prevent it by turning on burn-in protection on the TV and having a relatively short screen saver.

One thing I never anticipated was having my Mother in law to bee not care if the viewing was in full-screen or not, and use the TV for several days in a row all day in "preview" mode with the channel listings on the left. (see below)

Click for Bigger:

Because she was actively watching, the screen saver never kicked in, and apparently the burn-in prevention algorithm built into the TV doesn't do shit.

I am absolutely astonished that anyone wouldn't be bothered enough in about 2 seconds by the small preview screen to switch out of it right away. This is an issue that never even occurred to me to address!

So now I have a nice little ghost of the clock from the top right side of the screen...

I'm trying to minimize the ghosting by running screen clearing videos (scrolling bars, etc. etc.) and I hope it will reduce the damage.

Meanwhile, I am trying to figure out how to reduce the chance of this happening again.

Using this guide, I was able to change the clock color to a darker grey rather than a bright white. This should help somewhat. Unfortunately, the date is still bright white, even after changing the color of all white text in that file. (see below)

Click for Bigger:

Does anyone know how to turn the date grey as well?

Does anyone have any suggestions for anything else I can do to fix the mild burn-in I already have, and to mitigate it in the future?

Spent $800 on this TV only a year ago, I'd hate to see it ruined already... Sad
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
Don't know if you tried that already...

In the Live TV settings (standard setting level), under Playback, disable the 'Start playback minimised'. It will go full screen as soon as a channel is selected... However, it does not work if you go back to the channel list after the playback has started. it will stay in preview mode.

Also, enable 'Close channel OSD after switching channels' under 'Menu/OSD'

It would be possible to write a plugin that forces XBMC to go fullscreen after a certain amount of time. I can help you with that...
I made the plugin. All it does is watch the idle time, once it reaches 60 seconds and if a playback is active (Live tv or video), it closes all dialogs (including OSD, channel list, home menu, etc..). The only thing that it can't close is the debug info (when you press 'o') because it does not have a dialog ID.

script.plasma.saver-0.1.003.zip

There is no settings menu, so if you want to change the idle delay, you will need to modify the source code (default.py) and change MAX_OSD_IDLE
You can emulate the pressing of "o" again - that will close the codec screen.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-08-11, 07:32)fritsch Wrote: You can emulate the pressing of "o" again - that will close the codec screen.

Is there a way to determine if the codec screen is currently displayed? Otherwise, that would continually toggle the screen on and off
you can check the Player.ShowCodec bool.

Code:
visible = xbmc.getCondVisibility('Player.ShowCodec')

see: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs...Visibility
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2014-08-11, 01:23)bfrigon Wrote: I made the plugin. All it does is watch the idle time, once it reaches 60 seconds and if a playback is active (Live tv or video), it closes all dialogs (including OSD, channel list, home menu, etc..). The only thing that it can't close is the debug info (when you press 'o') because it does not have a dialog ID.

There is no settings menu, so if you want to change the idle delay, you will need to modify the source code (default.py) and change MAX_OSD_IDLE

fantastic!

You rock!

Going to have to try this after work when I get home!

I don't know if it is because my postcount is still too low, but I can't find the "thank" button to give you credit. Will keep looking for it!

Also, I ran one of those 10 hour deghosting videos on youtube overnight. I think it has improved slightly. Can't see it on dark screens or solid white ones anymore, but it is still visible on yellow and green screens.

Hoping another overnight run tomorrow will help solve it.

Any suggestions on which patters are more useful for this would be greatly appreciated!

--Matt
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
Post count to low Wink
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Exactly what im looking for, Cheers

EDIT: Does the job perfectly except for one problem. If you have video playing and go to your home screen, It goes wild. Doesnt crash it or anything just keeps trying to clear it. Is there anyway for this to be ignored on the home menu?
(2014-08-14, 02:21)stuCONNERS Wrote: EDIT: Does the job perfectly except for one problem. If you have video playing and go to your home screen, It goes wild. Doesnt crash it or anything just keeps trying to clear it. Is there anyway for this to be ignored on the home menu?

I was not able to reproduce this behavior... Which version of xbmc are you using?
openelec 4.1.3 Im going to look into this some more. I think my sd card on my raspberry pi is causing problems.
Turns out my SD card is s***. Sorry about the bug report, Went back to USB install and its fine. Again thank-you for the addon.
(2014-08-10, 23:00)mattlach Wrote: Does anyone know how to turn the date grey as well?

You need the home.xml file in c:\programs files\xbmc\addons\skin.confluence\720p

or your equivalent.

Almost the last thing in that file is the date code.

Code:
<control type="label">
            <description>Date label</description>
            <right>20</right>
            <top>35</top>
            <width>200</width>
            <height>15</height>
            <align>right</align>
            <aligny>center</aligny>
            <font>font10</font>
            <textcolor>white</textcolor>
            <shadowcolor>black</shadowcolor>
            <label>$INFO[System.Date]</label>
            <include>Window_OpenClose_Animation</include>
            <animation effect="slide" start="0,0" end="-40,0" time="100" condition="Window.IsVisible(Mutebug)">conditional</animation>
        </control>

Change the <textcolor>. wiki link http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Label_control
Hi,

is there a current version for Jarvis available, unfortunately I can't install this version under Kodi 16.2.

thanks Smile

(2014-08-11, 01:23)bfrigon Wrote: I made the plugin. All it does is watch the idle time, once it reaches 60 seconds and if a playback is active (Live tv or video), it closes all dialogs (including OSD, channel list, home menu, etc..). The only thing that it can't close is the debug info (when you press 'o') because it does not have a dialog ID.

Kodi 16.2 does not exist.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC & Plasma Burnin (help!)0