Slice by FiveNinjas - XBMC media player based on Raspberry Pi Compute Module
^^ what he said!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Surprised not once he mentioned that the skin is just on top of XBMC and XBMC is the real OS that deserves the credit. He (Mo) IMO tries to sell the OS (skin) as unique and "build from the ground up" which is incorrect. I would have liked to see atleast an acknowledgement to Kodi.

@millhouse, I feel like they are taking a step back from the ideals of XBMC, a software meant to enhance a user with options and customisation, something that doesnt have a steep learning curve but a curve that once mastered (which doesn't take long) gives you a media centre that is the ideal.

The price is just to high for the hardware and since XBMC isn't that hard to learn and is so much more than just a slice of their reality, I feel like they can't justify the markup for software support when the support is offered here from kind and talented expert devs for free.

And if you seen the 2 videos available from Mo, you'll see that its just marketing talk, as observed in video one, where he mentions that there was no product out there that is small and fit a hardrive.. the Nuc is been out for over 6 quarters. The gigabyte Brix... If not for the engineering talent they have on the team I would have taken him for a charlatan IMHO.
(2014-08-25, 10:16)MediaPi Wrote: Surprised not once he mentioned that the skin is just on top of XBMC and XBMC is the real OS that deserves the credit. He (Mo) IMO tries to sell the OS (skin) as unique and "build from the ground up" which is incorrect. I would have liked to see atleast an acknowledgement to Kodi.

@millhouse, I feel like they are taking a step back from the ideals of XBMC, a software meant to enhance a user with options and customisation, something that doesnt have a steep learning curve but a curve that once mastered (which doesn't take long) gives you a media centre that is the ideal.

The price is just to high for the hardware and since XBMC isn't that hard to learn and is so much more than just a slice of their reality, I feel like they can't justify the markup for software support when the support is offered here from kind and talented expert devs for free.

And if you seen the 2 videos available from Mo, you'll see that its just marketing talk, as observed in video one, where he mentions that there was no product out there that is small and fit a hardrive.. the Nuc is been out for over 6 quarters. The gigabyte Brix... If not for the engineering talent they have on the team I would have taken him for a charlatan IMHO.

The fact that it is XBMC is all over the Kickstarter page. Also it doesn't seem to be cut back at all, so you have all the power of addons, just like your regular XBMC.

Have you added up the component costs (including the DAC)?

I won't be buying one myself, because I am fully kitted out.

And, Kickstarter is about marketing, so to be expected I think.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Your right nickr XBMC is used many times on kickstarter page, but when showing of xbmc he still tries to make you think that his software is unique, sorry I just get that feeling.

I've not added all the costs but I know the cost of a Pi and accessories (including a remote) and they can be had for less than £50, a 1tb hardrive for around £40.

or chromebox.....

at the end of the day, its peoples money so they can do what they want with it, I just think you should be informed on the alternatives.
I have two minds on it I must say. The cost is on the high side, but there are advantages that people like you and I can't see because we are techies.

People who by a Slice might never even join this forum.
HW: RPi + compute modul + new 192/24 DAC + remote control + wifi + aluminum box + LED + power supply + no-drive or 1TB or 2TB hdd

SW: 4GB flash memory with OpenElec + XBMC/Kodi + new skin + support

You can play from it's internal drive (version with hdd), NAS or internet. You can change the skin, add a drive or use it without hdd (diskless version), add ext HDD, ext DVD player... pretty much anything you can do with a linux box htpc.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Maybe its because I live in a big city, but to me, it seems like the internet is choking on bandwith. Therefore every streaming solution Ive used has left me in buffering hell. Wifi and even LAN connections are spotty at best and so i think this player, or one like it is the perfect solution. The 2TB worth of movies and 3TB worth of TV shows I have is already more than I could watch in a reasonable time and it that is coupled with an interface simply enough for my six year old son to use, Im all for it. To me, its worth every penny.
I really love to have Slice Skin Smile Any idea if I can download or somebody who has it and send it to me? Smile
Is there an rpi2 compute module?
(2015-03-14, 20:36)nickr Wrote: Is there an rpi2 compute module?

Nope not yet
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-03-14, 20:36)nickr Wrote: Is there an rpi2 compute module?

Call me slow, but I only just now realized how easy it will be for Slice users to upgrade if this ever happens. That will be very awesome if there's a Pi 2 Compute and it is pin compatible with the Pi 1 Compute.
A RPi-2 compute module in an existing SLICE, if compatable, would be absolutely fantastic to see.
It would solve what i see as some shortcomings with the PRi-2 proper in that there would be a RTC and rear facing connectors in a nice box.
But i'm not sure if bitstreaming of HD has been resolved on/with the SLICE... nore if the various codec licenses are included out of the box.

Guess some Kodi staffers may have close ties with the RPi org, so are there any whispers of an upgrade to the compute module that can be shared?
I hope so and i'm beside myself in anticipation Big Grin

[update]
Just read this slice forum post which indicated an updated bms2836 compute module was in the works Smile
And fiveninjas will sell a preprogramed module for those that want to upgrade (by simply plug the CM2 into their) their SLICE.

It was also stated here that the codec licenses will be installed so nothing extra to buy.

Nice SLICE but pity it's that expensive.
The SLICE would cost me more than twice what my RPi-2 and it's associated bits cost me... it's a nicer setup under the TV but it's heading into strong/stronger competition at that price Huh
I'm a XBMC novice :)
I don't think that HD Audio functionality can be easily added to the Slice / Compute Module. The limitation that stops the Pi and Pi 2 handling HD Audio bitstreaming is apparently an HDMI bandwidth limitation on the Broadcom SoC - it can't deliver the HDMI audio bandwidth required for Dolby True HD or DTS HD-MA bitrates, which is also why it can't do 5.1 PCM at 192kHz. (It can only do 4.0 at 192kHz AIUI)

If you are happy with Dolby True HD decoded to PCM losslessly for 48kHz and 96kHz 5.1 tracks, then the Pi 2 (the Pi doesn't have the CPU grunt to do the decoding) will still let you listen to HD Audio losslessly. Similarly the Pi will playback FLAC or similar 48 & 96kHz tracks losslessly, so if you can use a third party DTS HD-MA decoder to pre-process (there aren't Open Source solutions but there are solutions if you have the right kit of parts) content with DTS HD content you can still play it back losslessly (unless it is a rare 192kHz 5.1 track - like Akira?)
Thanks noggin, i always forget about such SoC limits.

And every time i forget, I do get annoyed when i look at 'fuzzy' spec sheets which don't clearly state what a product is capable of.
Case in point with the RPi-2 spec sheet from RS components where Video Output HDMI (rev 1.3 & 1.4) and Audio output HDMI is stated.
The above spec is obscure and RS components should be ashamed as they should know that the SoC can't output HD audio.
The above spec sheet should really specify Audio Output HDMI 1.2a which unlike HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 can not carry HD audio streams!
I haven't looked at the spec sheet for the compute board but likley it's also obscure...

For now the RPi-2 works well but it wont meet my needs once i get some quality speakers installed.
And obviously an updated SLICE won't be a solution to HD audio and other PRi-2 nigglies i've mentioned (which clarifies to me it's overpriced).

Thanks again Smile
I'm a XBMC novice :)
Not everyone needs HD audio. Really, I get a lot of enjoyment from my movies in DTS/AC3.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slice by FiveNinjas - XBMC media player based on Raspberry Pi Compute Module2