ECS Liva = The best htpc I've ever owned
I think PAP maybe implemented on the chipset controller rather than the processor so maybe ECS has a custom controller that works with the Intel IMEI/TXE drivers. All Bay Trail processors have the same graphics implementation which is where hdmi audio is passed through, so I don't see how it can be down to a different implementation in different versions of the Bay Trail processors. However I can't be sure of anything with this confusing situation, so undoubtedly you're probably best sticking with Linux for Bay Trail to get the best out of it.
I have had an interesting conversation about Baytrail and 3D with Intel.
When i watch at ark.Intel.com and the 2820 CPU, the CPU can't 3D, when i watch http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034162.htm they say Batrail generally support 3D.
The Statement from Intel was, the CPU itself can't support 3D, but the Manufacturers can Add this Support in a way and then
Baytrail would support 3D. Maybe here it's the same, only the Manufacturers can Add HD Sound, like ECS, when they add some piece of Hard or Software to their Boards to support it?!
That doesn't make sense to me, but who knows...

Edit: Must be Software, cause Linux HD Sound works
| myHTPC |
(2014-08-16, 01:32)nickr Wrote: I wonder if you would consider trying openelec on it, this could be done from booting from USB, your windows does not need to be disturbed.

I would also be interested in how it runs under openelec.
Could you try it out and report if HD audio and 3d movies are working well?

Cheers
I have been running a liva for about a month now. WHat I am comparing to is this which I have also run which I will call "Chinese System" http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Super-Min...71054.html

The disadvantages of the Liva are:
No Built in IR header as found on Chinese system this compounded by USB ports (see below)
only 2 USB ports, means one port for remote and another for Keyboard or Hard disk.
No removable/changeable SSD storage in the event of failure
ECS forgot to make a "stackable" disk housing that can sit under this unit, and could have even contained a USB 3.0 hub
Unable to locate the Audio breakout connector and no pin-out found anywhere
Wifi is weak and useless in WIndows and Linux
Bluetooth is weak on Windows and inoperable on Linux
No Mini PCI-E

Advantages are
USB 3.0
Fanless

If I had my choice I would buy chinese system again and again however the latest models of the chinese systems have no IR header as I was recently notified, however USB ports are ample and I can even install a hard disk by way of a bottom plate on Chinese systems..

Mark
(2014-08-18, 02:54)psysfaction Wrote:
(2014-08-16, 01:32)nickr Wrote: I wonder if you would consider trying openelec on it, this could be done from booting from USB, your windows does not need to be disturbed.

I would also be interested in how it runs under openelec.
Could you try it out and report if HD audio and 3d movies are working well?

Cheers

@stryguy we are still waiting for an updateto to this, hope we can see that video. It's been a while.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
Has anybody tried installing ubuntu server on this as the basis for a minimal install? I get stuck during the install when it prompts saying "Configure iSCSI" I am guessing that it is not detecting the internal storage. Any suggestions?
Living Room: Ubuntu 16.10 x64 | BayTrail-M SOC | Krypton | Hitachi 55L6 | Yamaha RX-V665 | 7.1 Polk Surround
Den: RetroPie 4.1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO XVT553SV
Bedroom: OSMC 2017.02-1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO E370VA
HP Chromebook 14: Ubuntu 16.04 x64 | Celeron 2955U | Jarvis
NAS: Windows 10 | 20TB on DrivePool | Emby DB | Subsonic | Plex
Did anyone ever determine if 3D blu-ray (MVC) output works on this?
(2015-01-22, 20:03)cncb Wrote: Did anyone ever determine if 3D blu-ray (MVC) output works on this?

Kodi does not support MVC.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-01-22, 21:35)nickr Wrote: Kodi does not support MVC.

I know. I was wondering if anyone tried it with an external player in Windows.
So not really a kodi question at all.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So, you are saying that nobody who wants to view 3D MVC should use Kodi at all? Nobody could possibly run Kodi in Windows and then launch an external player just for their 3D movies? Based on your many posts in this forum you sure seem to like to bust everyone's balls for no apparent reason.
Any version of kodi can open an external player. Whether some external windows software works well on this particular hardware is not strictly a kodi question. Why not ask on the support forum or channel for the third party software?
(2014-10-17, 20:29)tekno Wrote: The disadvantages of the Liva are:
only 2 USB ports, means one port for remote and another for Keyboard or Hard disk.

A good use case for this, and thus not an issue with only 2 ports is a unified logitech dongle for keyboard, mouse, remote or just use a 2.4Ghz airmouse with a keyboard built-in using a single USB port. Movies on the network / server would also remove the need for a USB port for a HDD.

Not saying this is a solution, just pointing out a use case (happens to be mine) where only 2 USB ports wouldn't be an issue at all. In my case, I could even use an external USB WIFI dongle on the 2nd USB port to fix any weak WIFI.
(2015-01-22, 23:23)nickr Wrote: Why not ask on the support forum or channel for the third party software?

Why not ask here where people actually own this specific hardware and may have tried it? My question is about the hardware capability of the Liva and not about specific software. There was even discussion of 3D capability earlier in this thread and I was asking a follow up to that. I don't know why you have a problem with my question but why not just let people who own the Liva answer or not answer and leave it at that?
(2015-01-23, 00:51)cncb Wrote:
(2015-01-22, 23:23)nickr Wrote: Why not ask on the support forum or channel for the third party software?

Why not ask here where people actually own this specific hardware and may have tried it? My question is about the hardware capability of the Liva and not about specific software. There was even discussion of 3D capability earlier in this thread and I was asking a follow up to that. I don't know why you have a problem with my question but why not just let people who own the Liva answer or not answer and leave it at that?

Be careful, you'll be accused of being an ECS employee next. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ECS Liva = The best htpc I've ever owned0